"Old Top Gear" recommendations

Ripplin

Car(s)
2003 VW Golf TDI
I've seen a number of the "old" TG episodes, but none of them really featured Jeremy at his best. I haven't seen any with Tiff in it, either.

Are there any particular episodes you could recommend that really let Jeremy's sense of humor and fun really shine? Some nice Tiff segments would be good, too.

One that comes to mind is 1992x04, where Jeremy goes "Car Shopping".

It really depends on what he's testing. Most of the time, he is forced to test crappy, entry level cars of the era and he just does his job. It's when he gets to test cars he likes where you see him shine. Off the top of my head - when he test the Merc S-Class.

Check out the "Classic TG" ep guide which can be found in the Sticky in this section of the forum and look for reviews you think he would have enjoyed. Its most likely thats where you'll see him at his best.

ESPNSTI said:

Is it available anywhere...other than ftp (if available on any of them)....didn't see a torrent for it...

tyrell36 said:
ESPNSTI said:

Is it available anywhere...other than ftp (if available on any of them)....didn't see a torrent for it...
I don't know. Check Emule perhaps.

If you can find the episode when he reviews the vectra, it's one of his most famous. I'm desperate to see it.

Sounds good, Blythy. I'm gonna check the "classic TG" descriptions after I get back from work. Maybe it mentions the Vectra somewhere.

Blythy said:
If you can find the episode when he reviews the vectra, it's one of his most famous. I'm desperate to see it.

The review which caused such horrible sales of the vectra according to vauxhaul.

Blythy said:
X2 I wanna see that!

no, not 03.

I thought the Vectra review was in 94/95, I remember him getting a call from the producer telling him he must drive it :lol:
More recently Iremember a TG where there was a chance to vote for the viewer's favourite TG episode to watch again and this one came up. hope this helps

You may be right. Thanks for the input. I don't think anything from 94/95 has been made available yet, so we may need to wait a while. :p

I've seen Tiff do segments on the last era M3 and M5, and both of those were very solid, as well as a retrospect on the M-range, which looked like it was done in the late 90s.

He is very...good. That's about all you can say. He reviews the cars well and demonstrates how the company did well, but doesn't point out any of the cars' faults, and every car has some faults, so you kind of feel like he's holding back.

You know he's a former F1 driver though, and it shows. Where today Richard or Jeremy would drive them hard, Tiff does rolling 720s in the M5, and handles the M3 like a pro-A REAL PRO. So in that respect, he can be entertaining to watch, for sure.

Ed1032 said:
I've seen Tiff do segments on the last era M3 and M5, and both of those were very solid, as well as a retrospect on the M-range, which looked like it was done in the late 90s.

He is very...good. That's about all you can say. He reviews the cars well and demonstrates how the company did well, but doesn't point out any of the cars' faults, and every car has some faults, so you kind of feel like he's holding back.

You know he's a former F1 driver though, and it shows. Where today Richard or Jeremy would drive them hard, Tiff does rolling 720s in the M5, and handles the M3 like a pro-A REAL PRO. So in that respect, he can be entertaining to watch, for sure.

Tiff's driving skills is one of the main reasons why i love fifth gear so much.... ive watched some old top gear epi segments with tiff in it, i think he has really done quite a good job