Oliver's son - 79 Opel Kadett

Came back from two months stateside. Did not even bother to unhook the battery before leaving. Got into the car and after a minute or two of cranking (get the dried-out carb filled!) it started up beautifully.

You should put a 20eur electric fuel pump in and bypass the mechanical one altogether. Turn the ignition on, wait for it to prime the carb, crank, vroom. :)

Also, love your avatar :lol: It would be more fitting if he was in the Cortina rather than the Quattro though.

You should put a 20eur electric fuel pump in and bypass the mechanical one altogether. Turn the ignition on, wait for it to prime the carb, crank, vroom. :)

That! Mine starts right up after the winter sleep. Just hook up the battery and it's good to go.

That! Mine starts right up after the winter sleep. Just hook up the battery and it's good to go.

Exactly. It's also really handy on cold winter days when you don't have to use up valuable cranking power to prime the fuel system. Not that it would be an issue on a classic Opel in Germany, or a Caterham in Finland for that matter, but it's still worth mentioning. :)

Those generic 12v pumps run non-stop until they hit back pressure, which they do when the carb is full and doesn't "need" more fuel. Works like a charm.

I see your point, but that would not be stock ;)

I like the "stock" attitude :)

And if everything else fails you can still take the battery inside overnight so it is warm enough in the morning. It's a small sacrifice to make ;)

Also, my mom used to do that wenn we still had our 240 TD :lol:

I see your point, but that would not be stock ;)

your modern brake pads and tires aren't stock either...
on some level ease of use and safety overrules being stock...

Stock looks yes, but i like modern tech, so as long as the modern tech isnt obvious you should go with it. If the car is being driven regularily, you should use modern stuff.

Point is, while brake pads and tires obviously have seen some development in the last 30 years, they are the same conceptually, while a crank-driven mechanical fuel pump is a totally different concept to an electric one.

I don't see a reason to upgrade any technology that does it's job. Of course I could change the fuel pump. While I'm at it, I could replace the ignition with a modern contactless one as well. And while I have started ripping out engine parts, I could convert it to EFI using a head and intake system from a Corsa B. But what't the point of having a classic car then?

Belgians....

I was going to suggest it'd be useful to have a more reliable pump and then saw:
I don't see a reason to upgrade any technology that does it's job.

I realised I was biased, as being a BL enthusiast I'm prepared to replace almost anything, as nothing they built does it's job. :lol:

Cleaning out my parent's photo archive I found a photo of me and the Kadett from 2007:

In unrelated news, pushing the average travel speed by 10 kph will increase fuel consumption by a liter.

Last edited:
Here are some short driving videos a friend of mine shot last summer:

Last edited:
[video=youtube;JofA2NWCx-U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JofA2NWCx-U[/video]