Oliver's son - 79 Opel Kadett

That's no Thermostat, that's a Schn?ffelst?ck!

Short update: The alternator died on me two weeks after the engine went back in. As I am quite busy job-wise, I had to have a garage replace it. Another 220 bucks gone.

I sucessfully did 500 kilometers on the Autobahn in pouring rain this weekend. The engine sounds less angry and feels a bit more powerful than before. But most of all, it did not break!

What did break is my exhaust. The spare part is 100 bucks. Brilliant!

x50,000 with what value of x? :)

If I hit 20,000 on the ring in my car, the passenger will have to take the picture...

Heh, I'm still kicking myself for not taking a pic of my odometer at 1,337.

Congrats on 50K!

As mentioned I had to have a professional garage replace my broken exhaust due to lack of time before the ringmeet. Sadly I had to discover that the exhaust knocks on the floor due to a faulty install while driving to the ring. Brought the car back into the shop today to get it fixed (for free, of course!).

Joy, oh joy! Guess what I spotted? Not one, but two broken rear springs.

Woah, how does that happen?
Well, if one is willing to accept that in addition to myself professional mechanics at three different shops and a MOT guy did not notice the broken springs, I'd put my money on a combination of old age, wear and the car being parked on grass for half a year before I started the restoration.
Judging from the fact that four persons were standing below the lifted car, discussing the exhaust rattle (the shop's owner (a studied engineer!), the shop's senior mechanic, their apprentice and me), completely oblivious of the broken springs until finally the senior mechanic spotted the first broken spring, this scenario is not completely improbable.

The springs are broken both at roughly the same place and, judging from the amount of rust, roughly at the same time.

Last edited:
i also passed mot with broken springs, both front ones..

On Broken Springs
I guess that's how you'll have to ride
two broken cars....
across the sky

Also, I apologize for any damage me riding in your car will have done to those springs :)

you should look at it the other way...you'll have new springs shortly!! :burnrubber: