OMFG HOW FUCKING SHIT AT COMPUTERS CAN I BE!!!!!!

jasonchiu

Forum Addict
alright get ready for the computer idiot of the year........

i reformated my computer and partitioned the C drive to be 5 GB so i only put XP and office on it and leave the rest for whatever. i totally forgot that i need space in order to burn cd;s and crap....

now i have to reformat AGAIN FUCKING HELL! ARRGHHHH I AM SO FUCKING PISSED how fucking shit at computers can i be

im worst than a n00b

I don't either... 5 GB sound ok...

Re: OMFG HOW FUCKING SHIT AT COMPUTERS CAN I BE!!!!!!

jasonchiu said:
alright get ready for the computer idiot of the year........

i reformated my computer and partitioned the C drive to be 5 GB so i only put XP and office on it and leave the rest for whatever. i totally forgot that i need space in order to burn cd;s and crap....

now i have to reformat AGAIN FUCKING HELL! ARRGHHHH I AM SO FUCKING PISSED how fucking shit at computers can i be

im worst than a n00b
Not neccessarily, you can get a program (PartitionMagic) that should be able to increase the size of your partition.

IMHO, partitions are crap, I prefer to leave the HD as one big chunk.
This is because I've had a few occurrences (back in the Win98 days) that I lost the secondary partition.

i have a 6GB windows partition... whats wrong with that?

TechZ said:
I keep a 5gb xp partition and partition rest of my 120 for backup, media, games etc.

Its always better to partition, keeps things in order and all neat and clean, helps in Defragmenting too.
I can maybe see separating the OS and Data, but I'd say use a separate physical HD for that.
But separating Windows and Apps / Games makes no sense to me since "common" DLLs and the registry makes a mess of it anyway (IMHO one of the biggest problems with Windows).
It's not like you could reinstall the OS without losing your settings or having to also reinstall the apps / games.

^i agree

i have 2 partitions, 20gig for system and progs and 60gig for whatever needs it

ESPNSTI said:
I can maybe see separating the OS and Data, but I'd say use a separate physical HD for that.
But separating Windows and Apps / Games makes no sense to me since "common" DLLs and the registry makes a mess of it anyway (IMHO one of the biggest problems with Windows).
It's not like you could reinstall the OS without losing your settings or having to also reinstall the apps / games.

Actually, I think half of my games are still installed for my old XP install(which still exists on my secondary HD) and it works just fine. And many apps also work, apart from heavier office software.

One partition is absolutely stupid way to go. One crash and you lose absolutely everything. I've seen it happen several times. I've also seen single partitions(both OS and non-OS) committing harakiri, and after seeing all that I'm much more comfortable with keeping my stuff in several partitions(I usually have three). As TechZ mentioned, it also makes defragmenting and disk checks faster.

Hazardous said:
Actually, I think half of my games are still installed for my old XP install(which still exists on my secondary HD) and it works just fine. And many apps also work, apart from heavier office software.
Yah most games are not a problem, but I bet you lost a lot of settings for the applications that you copied / and or some aspects of the application might not be working right, and others probably didn't work at all.

Hazardous said:
One partition is absolutely stupid way to go. One crash and you lose absolutely everything. I've seen it happen several times. I've also seen single partitions(both OS and non-OS) committing harakiri, and after seeing all that I'm much more comfortable with keeping my stuff in several partitions(I usually have three). As TechZ mentioned, it also makes defragmenting and disk checks faster.
If you're talking about a physical HD crash (and my bet also a software induced one), then partitioning isn't going to help you much, personally I think you're increasing your chances of things going wrong, because now you have the partition table to deal with (and I've lost partitions because of that).
If your HD crashes I think you'll have a much better chance without partitions.

Usually (I've had a few way back when), you can hang your HD off of another one, and everything or most of it will probably still be there if you have one partition.
However if you have partitions, you can't always say the same, I've had crashes that screwed up the secondary partition and I could say bye bye to everything on it, whereas everything on the primary one was just peachy.

As for defragmenting, sure it's helpful, but it's a bit over-rated anyway (it's not like you run that every day).

I keep the apps on the xp partition.
Games,Media, backup all have their own partition

I did want to do in on two physical hdd, but couldnt afford it at the time. My next machine will prolly be like

2 WD Raptors in RAID (For games/OS+Apps) or those new 16mb cache 10k drives from Maxtor
1 or 2 200/250gb drives for storage

ESPNSTI said:
Hazardous said:
Yah most games are not a problem, but I bet you lost a lot of settings for the applications that you copied / and or some aspects of the application might not be working right, and others probably didn't work at all.
Most applications worked alright. Not that many applications save their setups in registry keys. Although, by this software I refer to small share/freeware progs I use, this doesn't go for bigger pieces of software(as I mentioned, although at least OpenOffice worked perfectly. It even made a new folder for it's files in the wrong disk since I had moved my OS to another drive, but if I had not done that it would've been OK.

quote="ESPNSTI"]
Hazardous said:
If you're talking about a physical HD crash (and my bet also a software induced one), then partitioning isn't going to help you much, personally I think you're increasing your chances of things going wrong, because now you have the partition table to deal with (and I've lost partitions because of that).
If your HD crashes I think you'll have a much better chance without partitions.[/quote]

I was talking about software induced crashes. Physical HD crashes tend to be the sort that make recovery rather expensive(in which case my work is usually bye-bye and time to dig up the backup). As I mentioned, I've seen the data inside an OS partition flushed away, and I've also seen it happen to partition that my friend used as a game/software storage. No idea why it happened but he had stashed all his media files in a third partition which has never been changed.

Of course, nothing beats separate HDs for file storage, not to mention backups, but I still prefer three-four partitions instead of one or two. In the end I think it's more down to personal preference.

Hazardous said:
Of course, nothing beats separate HDs for file storage, not to mention backups, but I still prefer three-four partitions instead of one or two. In the end I think it's more down to personal preference.

I don't agree with partitioning a single hard drive into smaller partitions, but then again thats personal preference. I personally have a separate machine with drives for my data and have that data mirrored on another machine, but none of the data machines have windows on them, so the data is safe when windows decides to take a vacation.

ESPNSTI said:
because now you have the partition table to deal with (and I've lost partitions because of that).
i think thats a non-argument, data-recovery programs could still read the data anyway, or you could probabely fix the partition table.

bigfoot1942 said:
ESPNSTI said:
because now you have the partition table to deal with (and I've lost partitions because of that).
i think thats a non-argument, data-recovery programs could still read the data anyway, or you could probabely fix the partition table.
Well, yah, but you have to take it to that level to do that, that was my point.

Hey guys - I installed XP SP1 on my new desktop and as you know it only allows 120gb(ish) as a partition size, whereas my HDD is 200Gb. Should I just use partitionmagic to extend that partition?

Currently listening to: Alright - Supergrass - I Should Coco (1995)

leave space in burn CD's... I don't understand
Same :? . You still havnt answered jason..? I dont understand either.
I have XP SP2 and allocated 7.4gigs to my Local C. My Local D drive has 106gigs
Use Partition Magic Pro 8.0. Thats teh best!! :thumbsup: It has the ability to partition hardrives even when there is data on it..A BIG STEP UP :thumbsup:

Ok, I admit I skimmed the thread but I have a quick question. I've always been under the impression that it is absolutely crucial to partition your space up into reasonable chunks. Simply because the HD performs like shit if you don't.

Well actually, HD's perform like shit if you have too many partitions..i used to have a partition for everything-videos, programs,music etc...it slowed my comp bad. Ended up crashing :thumbsdown: . Don't have too many partitions otherwise there will be too much un-used space. After all, you have to have a reasonable amount of space reserved for new data. Approximatly 300mb's for a "programs" partition and like serveral gigabytes for a videos partition. It all adds up ;) .