On/Off Charge doesn't work since Windows 8.1

maxtortheone

Chicken Fiddler
Car(s)
2006 Renault Clio 1.4 16V
OK, since I installed 8.1 on the SSD I noticed that some devices won't charge with the PC turned off and one even when it's on. As follows:

• G700s mouse : charges when the PC is shut down;
  • iPod Shuffle: won't charge when the PC is off and when ejected from iTunes(which should turn on chargin on it and disable syncing);
  • iPod Touch: charges when connected to iTunes but doesn't charge when the PC is on;

I've read that Win 8 has some weird USB power settings, just wondering if anyone dealt with this before and has a straightforward solution.

I shall try some devices with my Thinkpad, which came with 8 but was upgraded to 8.1. Not sure if the fact that it's a laptop will give me different results though, can always try some devices on my work PC on Monday.

with my PC (8.1) it's only a BIOS setting, haven't done anything with power settings in windows. everything always charges, entirely regardless of PC state (phone, tablet, e-reader, whatever). no ipod/iphone in my posession though... :think:

Likely your PC doesn't have a "BIOS" in the sense we are all used to but rather an EFI, this is the stuff that Apple has been using in their machines for a while and is basically the more advanced version of what BIOS does. One of the things that it allows is for the OS to control what would normally be "BIOS" settings directly. So yes it is Win 8.1's power settings, it likely has some logic that allows low draw devices to charge when the machine is off but high draw not. Does it make a difference if your system is plugged in? My MBP charges everything when its in sleep mode if its plugged in but not if it's on battery.