Onatrio gov't banning mods

toma_alimosh

Also known as "Myke Hunt"
Car(s)
2014 Volkswagen Jetta
for everybody living in Ontario, here's what I received in my mail box from a friend:
There's an Ontario bill that makes having any kind of non-stock parts on your car illegal, making you a felon for having anything but what came out of the factory. They're trying to go after street racers, but they chose a thoughtless course of action to do so, and are going after the people who just enjoy improving their cars as a hobby, and people who race their modded cars at official racetracks in Ontario. Your car could get towed/impounded, or you could get a fine for having a different kind of air filter, or just head light covers, and it's all to the discretion of the police officer.

Read the petition and sign it please : http://www.petitiononline.com/sect1722/petition.html
It does affect a lot of people !

The only thing they did right is making 'prescribed substances' such as the well-known NOS illegal.
Send to as many others as you can, as this bill is just downright stupid !

Thank You !

wtf, the ontario government is trying to ban modified cars ??
it's legit, I read the law ... those idiots have no idea what they're doing, what a bunch of jerks !!! I wanna be able to mod my car if I want to, I probably won't, but if I feel like it, I should god damn have the right to do so! :x
for anyone living in ontario and who wants this law to be bashed down, please sign this petition :
http://www.petitiononline.com/sect1722/petition.html

Re: Onatrio gov't banning mods

vladmitu said:
for everybody living in Ontario, here's what I received in my mail box from a friend:
There's an Ontario bill that makes having any kind of non-stock parts on your car illegal, making you a felon for having anything but what came out of the factory. They're trying to go after street racers, but they chose a thoughtless course of action to do so, and are going after the people who just enjoy improving their cars as a hobby, and people who race their modded cars at official racetracks in Ontario. Your car could get towed/impounded, or you could get a fine for having a different kind of air filter, or just head light covers, and it's all to the discretion of the police officer.

Read the petition and sign it please : http://www.petitiononline.com/sect1722/petition.html
It does affect a lot of people !

The only thing they did right is making 'prescribed substances' such as the well-known NOS illegal.
Send to as many others as you can, as this bill is just downright stupid !

Thank You !

wtf, the ontario government is trying to ban modified cars ??
it's legit, I read the law ... those idiots have no idea what they're doing, what a bunch of jerks !!! I wanna be able to mod my car if I want to, I probably won't, but if I feel like it, I should god damn have the right to do so! :x
for anyone living in ontario and who wants this law to be bashed down, please sign this petition :
http://www.petitiononline.com/sect1722/petition.html

where's this "new law" you're talking about? what's the bill code? i've never heard of this and i listen and watch the news everyday. plus, every new drafted bill is on the government's website, so find some proof, or else this is just a joke and spam :thumbsdown:

95% of the time I see a post with http://www.petitiononline.com mentioned the post is complete B.S. I'd like to see some proof also - otherwise you just have a big list of lemmings.

So Walker, Bosal, K&N, Fram and all the others will be banned in Ontario ?

Come on, think about it for a minute, making any but manufacturer's parts illegal.

I don't believe it, period.

I call BS on it as well, caveat if its true, the it is un-constitutional. (Boy, you don't get many Quebecer use that line!)

The reason I say that is that I just spent some serious time researching what it would take for me to get a kit car certified and stumbled upon something groovy: the right to build your own car is protected copnstitutionally. I was surprised to say the least.

The problem is the road certification and then insurance, but by law, you can build your own car.

So I don't see how they can make such a set of rules, given that it would make more people just "build" their own. I could see the insurance companies do something, like have an inspection each time you renew, at your cost where if the guy sees many after market parts that increase the value of the car or change its classification, you are forced to a higher insurance bracket.

In fact, I'm stunned a souped-up car get to be insured on the original car's rates ... kinda seems like a big cheat ... though *I'm not complaining*.

Where was I going with this .... :lol:

Oh yeah ... BS :twisted:

Raise the BS flag. This was a big deal like 4 years ago but not anymore.

If you click the link to the petition, it gives proof:

To:? Government Of the Province of Ontario

Hon. Ernie Eves,
Premier of Ontario
Room 281, Main Legislative Building
Toronto, Ontario
M7A 1A1

Re: Concerns Over Bill 241 - Road Safety Act, 2002

Dear Mr. Eves...

Ernie Eves was premier of Ontario in 2002, when this was an issue. It's long gone.

BUT. The police in some jurisdictions in Ontario do have special powers to ticket drivers or even impound cars for "modifications for speed", at the cop's discretion. Some people with totally stock cars are even getting harrassed by the cops, like the big wing that comes on a Subaru STi.

I think it's a load of crap, but bill 241 is dead afaik. You know what pisses me off the most though? One of the big legal moves they made to prevent street racing, is to make it illegal to drive in the passing lane on the highway unless you're actually passing someone. They never, ever, EVER enforce it. Why not? :x

Oh, also. Insurance companies have been denying claims to people with modifications. One guy hit a moose in the middle of the night all alone -- clearly not racing -- and they wouldn't shell out because he had his car (legally) modified for auto-x.

Also. Some insurance companies spy on auto-x events, and deny you coverage if you take part. DEAR GOD WHY?

If you were denied your claim by insurance for a modified car, it was probably because it wasn't declared. I don't know about canadian insurance companies, but here you have to declare any and every change to your car to your insurers or they can refuse to pay up.

GraemeH said:
If you were denied your claim by insurance for a modified car, it was probably because it wasn't declared. I don't know about canadian insurance companies, but here you have to declare any and every change to your car to your insurers or they can refuse to pay up.

same with canadian insurance companies, you have to declare your modifications as well, but most people probably don't (in fear of having their policies dropped or get ass raped by higher rates) so they don't report it.

come accident time they get all surprised and angry when insurance companies tell them they aren't covered and then start flaming them on car forums like this one :p

but i guess i can relate, we here in canada (even more so in provinces like ontario) pay OBSCENE rates for car insurance. i myself pay about $5400 (CDN) a year for 2 cars (350z and rsx) and that's considered cheap for my age. i know people who pay $5400 and are driving around shitboxes since their record is less than perfect :eek:

$1956 a year for my Alero

And thanks Roman for the BS flag.

I find that as long as you talk to the insurance before hand, you should be fine.

To all you BS'ers....not so fast. I also "follow the news everyday" and yes, I heard something mentioned about it as well, that the government was planning on introducing some laws to crack down on modified cars...there is SOME substance to it. How much, I don't know...

asthenia said:
One of the big legal moves they made to prevent street racing, is to make it illegal to drive in the passing lane on the highway unless you're actually passing someone. They never, ever, EVER enforce it. Why not? :x

I want to repeatedly punch and kick people that drive slow in the left lane, right int he face.

SiR_dude said:
To all you BS'ers....not so fast. I also "follow the news everyday" and yes, I heard something mentioned about it as well, that the government was planning on introducing some laws to crack down on modified cars...there is SOME substance to it. How much, I don't know...

the police are always saying how they wish the government would crack down on street racers (in particular), but as of yet, no bill has been introduced for reading yet. but yes, i have heard that they *want* to introduce one, as of yet, non has been drafted. also, i'm on the transportation ontario web page and nothing seems to be mentioned about it either ... http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/index.html the only bill that comes close is bill 169 which looks like just a amendment bill to crack down on speeders in general.

it's funny because the bill itself was designed to crack down on speeders by imposing severe fines for those who drive 30km/h over the speed limit on the highway. PLEASE, i've seen cops do that on a 60km/h when they're driving regularly, i really wish there was a way to ticket police officers who speed or break traffic laws when they're not responding to a call, they're just as likely to speed (if not more so) than average citizens, except we get the brunt of fines and they run scot free :thumbsdown:

That's nothing, I ALWAYS catch pigs using their sirens to run a light, only to find them turning into a Tim Horton's for their coffee and donuts.