Once again, time for a new phone

LeVeL

Forum Addict
I love my Sony xperia Z3v (Verizon) but I just had to do a second factory reset in as many months and it's already running kind of slow. I love the camera (especially in low light) and batter life of this thing.

Current ideas for replacement, in order of current preference:
LG G6
Galaxy S7 or S8
???

Google Pixel and HTC One are supposed to be good too.

Thoughts? NO IPHONES.

Have you tried the iPhone?

:tease:

I've used my coworkers S8 a few times, and I just can't get used to the fingerprint sensor location. The Bixby button is unfortunate because I'd never use Bixby, and you can't remap that button.

The Xperia XZ seems like the logical step-up. it's the same size (if a bit thinner), with the same size screen and the same resolution but an upgraded camera and SoC over your current phone.

There is also an XZ premium that was released in February if you want to go full flagship.

I think you should consider this new phone from this pretty hip company in California. Not sure if you heard of them, but they put their logo on the backs of all their phones - its an apple with a bite taken out of it.

Last edited:
I don't think Verizon has any Sony phones currently.

Oh. LG V20 then.

I think you should consider this new phone from this pretty hip company in California. Not sure if you heard of them, but they put their logo on the backs of all their phones - its an apple with a bite taken out of it.

giphy.gif

They tell me they do those things in China too, that sounds, like, pretty unhip man!

I considered switching to the half-eaten fruit but I definitely don't want to have to buy 5 new chargers (work, home, three cars).

Does your current phone USB-C? If not, you'll need to buy all new chargers for the V20. Amazon is running decent deals on iPhone cables right now. A 3 pack of different length (3ft, 6ft, 10ft) braided cables for $7. Thats a pretty great price and I've been using random Amazon braided cables for the last year without issues. Thse aftermarket braided cables are definitely more robust than than the regular ones. https://www.amazon.com/Charger-UTHMNE-Braided-Charging-Compatible/dp/B071P53K31/ref=sr_1_7?th=1

Last edited:
Does your current phone USB-C? If not, you'll need to buy all new chargers for the V20. Amazon is running decent deals on iPhone cables right now. A 3 pack of different length (3ft, 6ft, 10ft) braided cables for $7. Thats a pretty great price and I've been using random Amazon braided cables for the last year without issues. Thse aftermarket braided cables are definitely more robust than than the regular ones. https://www.amazon.com/Charger-UTHMNE-Braided-Charging-Compatible/dp/B071P53K31/ref=sr_1_7?th=1
Oh sonuvabitch! You're right, I'm going to need USB-C cables - at least I have one for my work phone. Sigh.

- - - Updated - - -

Leaning heavily towards the G6 atm - good camera, good battery life, really nice screen...

Biggest annoyance with this LG: the keyboard. Stock keyboard was very slow to autocorrect. Swiftkey and Gboard are faster but I'm still making a ton of mistakes somehow, while on my old Sony I didn't have this issue - it seemed to predict what I was trying to say and autocorrect much better.

It also seems like the screen on the LG is wider compared to the body so keys are very close to the edge of the phone itself. Gives my thumbs a real workout.

I think (I might be wrong) that the spellcheck/autocorrect should get better over time as you use it.

Nope, you're right. Unless you have a swiftkey account to track your word frequency and other associated crap, it will take a while until the keyboard "learns" how you type all over again.