• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

OPEL and Vauxhall

Motorman

can anyone explain me why each car that i know as Opel, in topgear and other places named as Vauxhall?

Ireland?! I think not...they're from Germany. But they're both being owned by General Motors.

It's a branding thing. Most of the Vauxhalls are Opel cars from Germany with a new badge. There are some exceptions like the Monaro which is from Holden and to my not knowledge not even sold in Germany. Similarly Opels are also sold as Holdens in Australia and the Monaro is sold as the Pontiac GTO in the states.

All companies are owned by General Motors. All the different names for the same car are just a marketing thing to trick people into thinking they are buying a "local car".

This seems to be particularly true for Vauxhall, who don't really seem to make any cars of their own.

^^^ I think you mean Bora/Jetta.

The Americans liked the name so much they kept it so it went...

Jetta/Jetta
Vento/Jetta 2
Bora/Jetta 3

3Colin said:
The Vectra- I think that's a rebaged Chevy Malibu? It sure looks like one... that would certainly explain why it's complete garbage.

not quite - Vectra is not a badged Malibu, but I think the new Malibu is based off the Vectra platform

Opel is originally german and Vauxhall is orginally british. GM bought Opel in 1925 and Vauxhall in 1929. Both factories built their own cars a long time after the war (though with heavy american influence). Slowly they started with shared parts, then shared models and then shared model names. In the 80s european GM started building their fwd models, Corsa was called Nova and Ascona Cavalier, otherwise they were identical. In the 90s the model names became the same. Only the grilles was different, because it's easy to change. So it was only because of branding the factories kept their respective "first" names, so people would recognize the cars/brand.

Opel's "Blitz" has evolved from a sort of wing inside a ring. The Vauxhall name comes from an old castle in england, Fulk Hall, built by Fulk le Breant. The griff in the Vauxhall symbol is an element taken from the le Breant family crest.

Another example of a crossover going the other way is the Cadillac Catera. Which is really a Vauxhall Carlton. Which itself is an Opel Omega.

Not all Opels are rebadged in the UK though. The Senator and Vectra both come to mind. (They have the same name on both sides). The Astra/Corsa thing still has me slightly confused though, I never liked those cars so never paid any attention to them!

Personally, I always like trying to differentiate the Mazda 121 from the late 90s Ford Fiesta. They didn't as much as change the tail lights.

NTM

Sebastian said:
Volkswagen Passat/Jetta...again, same cars different name.
ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!
*as memeber of ClubB5 and a Passat owner, its my duty to inform you that we will be placing a hit on you*

the most confusing one is the Holden Commodore (based off the Opel Omega) being badged as the Opel Omega and being sold alongside a true Opel Omega which has been badged as something different. I'm not sure which country this happens in, but I know it does (or used to) happen

Manic Moran said:
Personally, I always like trying to differentiate the Mazda 121 from the late 90s Ford Fiesta. They didn't as much as change the tail lights.

Fiesta Mk4&5...basically Mazda only changed the grille and some of the enginges. The Mazda and Fiesta Mk6 are quite similar as well...

fbc said:
the most confusing one is the Holden Commodore (based off the Opel Omega) being badged as the Opel Omega and being sold alongside a true Opel Omega which has been badged as something different. I'm not sure which country this happens in, but I know it does (or used to) happen
Is the Commodore based off the Omega or is the Omega based on the Com? Or is the Commodore a completly seperate entity (which I thought). I mean they didnt have the Omega back in 75' did they??

They all use the same platform... The old VT commie platform that has been used for ages... can't wait for the VE platform to come out (forgot what it was called)

Zuhaib said:
Sebastian said:
Volkswagen Passat/Jetta...again, same cars different name.
ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!
*as memeber of ClubB5 and a Passat owner, its my duty to inform you that we will be placing a hit on you*

Haha, my mistake :?

PLease don't kill me :|

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
fbc said:
Is the Commodore based off the Omega or is the Omega based on the Com? Or is the Commodore a completly seperate entity (which I thought). I mean they didnt have the Omega back in 75' did they??

Commodore has always been based off the Omega, or whatever the Omega was called at the time - I think it was the Opel Reckord or something back then.

Correction: from page 44 Aug Wheels:
'77 Opel Commodore became VB Commodore
'78 Senator became '84 VK Commo
'86 Omega + '87 Senator became '88 VN
'94 Omega became VT Commodore

With each new generation Holden's input into the Commodore has increased.

The VE platform was going to be the first time the trend was to reverse - Opel were going to develop a car off this Holden-developed platform. Sadly that's been canned it seems.

fbc said:
always been based off the Omega, or whatever the Omega was called at the time - I think it was the Opel Reckord or something back then.

Correction: from page 44 Aug Wheels:
'77 Opel Commodore became VB Commodore
'78 Senator became '84 VK Commo
'86 Omega + '87 Senator became '88 VN
'94 Omega became VT Commodore

With each new generation Holden's input into the Commodore has increased.

The VE platform was going to be the first time the trend was to reverse - Opel were going to develop a car off this Holden-developed platform. Sadly that's been canned it seems.

THe VT Commodore only took a few elements from the '94 Omega and in the VX/VY/VZ they have been slowly removed untill this VZ which has none of the '94 Omega from memory.

spamman said:
THe VT Commodore only took a few elements from the '94 Omega and in the VX/VY/VZ they have been slowly removed untill this VZ which has none of the '94 Omega from memory.

umm not quite - it's true that with VT Holden did a lot more development and engineering, but there's still a lot of Omega origins - basic floorplan (widened by Holden), front and rear suspension etc