Concept: Opel Enigma- the European Camaro

Bad Bowtie

http://carscoop.blogspot.ca/2012/03/opel-enigma-is-design-concept-based-on.html

Opel-Enigma-Concept-David-Cardoso-Carscoop_3.jpg

It?s no secret that Opel and sister company Vauxhall are currently weathering a severe crisis with rumors of plant closures both in Germany and the UK as the economic turmoil across Europe is taking its toll on most automakers.

That said, any plans Opel might have had for a two-door coupe will most likely be put on ice for the time being if not canned altogether.

But it never hurts to imagine what a sporty coupe with an Opel (or Vauxhall) badge would look like. Enter the world of an old acquaintance of ours, designer David Cardoso, who sent Carscoop these renderings of the Opel Enigma concept study.

The GT coupe model was designed to use the rear-wheel drive platform of the Chevrolet Camaro, but we'll let Dave do the rest of the talking on the Enigma:

"The Opel Enigma is a sporty 4-seat coupe based on the platform of the Chevrolet Camaro. This concept could be considered as an Insignia coupe, but I would rather see it as the new ?Calibra?. The rear is inspired by the Insignia (Buick Regal), while the side and front have design features of the Astra GTC and the Flextreme concept."

Soooo nothing of substance really, just wanted to see what everyone, especially Europeans, thought of this as it seems Opel is quite bland from the sound of it.

It's ugly. And will probably only be offered with underpowered failure and shame.
It's a third-party render. These are all done by people who do not manage to get employment in design studios working at real cars. So what do you expect.

Additionally, carscoops, if you pull a render for a rwd Opel Coup? out of your ass, call it the Manta and nothing else.

It's a third-party render. These are all done by people who do not manage to get employment in design studios working at real cars. So what do you expect.

Additionally, carscoops, if you pull a render for a rwd Opel Coup? out of your ass, call it the Manta and nothing else.

Then fit a mullet as standard and it will sell by the thousand.

In Germany.

To people who go to David Hasselhoff concerts.

Last edited:
I like it.

Move the headlights down so they're more in line with the grille and not up above the hood/bonnet on stilts, it'll look much better.

Also, I came into this thread expecting a Camaro with crossed-out Chevrolet badges. I am disappoint.

Dammit, I should have known.

As long it gets the V8 from the VXR8, then I am down, otherwise no.

If you are lucky, it'll get the 3,8 liter V6 off the Insignia OPC. Otherwise, probably a 2-liter four-pot turbo.

As long it gets the V8 from the VXR8, then I am down, otherwise no.

In modern europe? I don't think so. It'll propably get some economical turbo four, I'll be surprised if it'll get a six cyl looking at where things are going these days..

If we had a Buick that looked like that, I'd seriously consider it (given the presence of a V8 and non-Buickish name, as said before). And I don't like coupes, white cars, or anything from GM.

Not in a million years will this see production..... if it does it will have a 4 pot leafblower engine and because it will weigh 6 billion tons it will get beaten at the lights by a Twingo RS.

Want a Camaro platform in Europe?
1: Order a Goddamn Camaro
2: thick the box that sais 6.2L V8
3: round up all the politicians responsible for various insane fuel, road and displacement taxes forcing people to drive 1.4L hatches and calling them 'sufficient', and shoot them in the head.

Last edited:
Not in a million years will this see production..... if it does it will have a 4 pot leafblower engine and because it will weigh 6 billion tons it will get beaten at the lights by a Twingo RS.

3: round up all the politicians responsible for various insane fuel, road and displacement taxes forcing people to drive 1.4L hatches and calling them 'sufficient', and shoot them in the head.
If you shot them in the head it would have to be a damn lucky shot to get the brain. ...

Damn you! There's nothing wrong with my 1.4l hatch :p

On the subject of the render though, I think it doesn't look half bad. But like others have said I really doubt something like this would ever reach production, certainly not on the Camaro platform.
If GM - Opel plans to make a coupe for Europe I can imagine it being on the Epsilon II platform, would make more sense and that would pit it against the Renault Laguna Coup? and Audi A5.