Opel/Vauxhall/Holden/Saturn... Relationship

Snowdriver

Hey,

I know GM owns all of these, but how did it all start, was Opel the original brand, and then went on to have divisions called Vauxhall (UK), Holden (Australia) and Saturn (US) or did it all happen differently? :?

I think it's a mixture of mergers... I know that Opel made cars in Europe in very early 1900's and General Motors in US and these two merged at some point of history. Then umm... magic:)mrgreen:) happened and suddenly we have the companies as they are.

BTW, interestingly this bunch is part of GM. GM also makes Chevrolet and now Daewoo starts to make Chevrolets. Does this mean that GM bought Daewoo or something?

GM took over Opel after WO I, but lost it just before WO II. German government took over Opel. After Germany was defeated at the end of WO II, GM acquired Opel again. GM bought Holden somewhere in the 30's I believe.

Vauxhall was even bought earlier. But at some point GM decided to shut down the development of Vauxhall and just sell German engineered Opel's as Vauxhall in the UK. At that point the name Vauxhall only still existed in the UK. In the beginning those Opel Vauxhall's got a different name. For example the Opel Corsa was sold as the Vauxhall Nova in the UK. But nowadays they just get the same name.

Wutputt said:
GM took over Opel after WO I, but lost it just before WO II. German government took over Opel. After Germany was defeated at the end of WO II, GM acquired Opel again. GM bought Holden somewhere in the 30's I believe.

Vauxhall was even bought earlier. But at some point GM decided to shut down the development of Vauxhall and just sell German engineered Opel's as Vauxhall in the UK. At that point the name Vauxhall only still existed in the UK. In the beginning those Opel Vauxhall's got a different name. For example the Opel Corsa was sold as the Vauxhall Nova in the UK. But nowadays they just get the same name.

And here is called Chevrolet Corsa