Opinion wanted on 50D vs 40D for motorsports photography

eroy2

Car(s)
Something from either Germany or Japan
Looking at getting a 50D body to go with my current lenses, 17-55 2.8IS canon and a canon 70-200 F2.8. I'm currently shooting with a xTi (450D) which is fine but the AF isn't nearly fast enough or accurate enough. I take lots of track pictures which I now sell so my hobby is now funding itself which is really nice.

In the very near future (like 2 weeks) I'll be up to affording a 50D but want to know what people think or know about the 50D compared to the 40D for motorsports. I'm definitely looking forward to the higher fps for either but is the MP jump really worth the extra $250?

Thanks.

but then my 17-55 EF-S is no good. and I'm down to 8 MP from the 10 I have now. I'd rather stay the same at that point but thanks for the opinion.

What are you shooting with Paddy?

1D MKII N & 40D

Megapixels dont mean shit :)

Seconded!

Keep the Rebel with the 17-55 for WA-standard-short-tele. And put the 70-200 on the 1D.

I really need the extra range that my 1.6x crop gives me. Well 1.3x is still pretty good. I've got a 1.4 extender too. I had always planned on using the rebel for pit shots.

Thanks guys.

Two shots taken last Thursday with current setup. The second one is where I have issues with fast focus.

I don't know how hard the Mark II N is to find in europe but its pretty slim pickings over here. As much as I would love to go Pro DSLR, I'm going to stick to a 50D for availability alone.

Thanks for the opinions.