Opinions on Jonny Smith?

Justniz

Car(s)
2000 Jaguar XKR convertible
Whenever Top Gear isn't on the air I watch Fifth Gear as a lame attempt to satisfy my TG addiction. It doesn't really work but its marginally better than nothing. Until any item involving Jonny Smith comes on.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Jonny Smith stands out like a sore thumb on the show?

The guy is as dull as dishwater. He's a crap driver. Any speed above 30 mph positively scares him. He has no aesthetic taste. He always prefers the most ugly and boring cars. By comparison, he makes my granny's driving ability and car opinions look edgy, informative and exciting.

Vicky and Tiff must joke about him all the time whenever he's not around.

I can't imagine what whoever hired him for Fifth Gear must have been smoking. Does anyone else here agree that they need to get him off the show ASAP?

Last edited:
He is my favorite of the presenters. I like his style of humor.

Apparently I look like him so that may bias things somehow.

Exactly my point. In the beginning of the video he says his nerves are shredded about having to drive 125mph on a wide circular test track.
What a pussy.
I'll admit to having significantly exceeded that speed on just a very quiet road with long visibility, and without peeing my pants. If I had any concerns at all, they were all about possible speed cops.

Last edited:
Exactly my point. In the beginning of the video he says his nerves are shredded about having to drive 125mph on a wide circular test track.
Gay.
I'll admit to having significantly exceeded that speed on just a very quiet road with long visibility, and without peeing my pants. If I had any concerns at all, they were just about possible speed cops.

1106514-cool_story_bro_super.jpg

Congratulations, Justniz. You fully understand why I call him The Spaz.

I think Jonny's great. He's at his best with old/interesting cars but even when they send him to review a brand new car in Spain or something I still find him very entertaining and informative. I'd say his segments and Tiff and Jason's dogfights (not that we've had any this series) are my favourite parts of any episode of Fifth Gear. He's a pretty decent feature writer too.

What a pussy.
I'll admit to having significantly exceeded that speed on just a very quiet road with long visibility, and without peeing my pants. If I had any concerns at all, they were all about possible speed cops.

He did not only shred his nerves but also his tyres, from brand new to steel belt in just over half an hour. I'm sure your leisurely pootle down a quiet straight road was similarly demanding.

Also, woooow on going fast

I like him, he's nerdy in just the right way. He bores the pants off me when he talks about the old junk he loves so much but I find his reviews more interesting than VBH's who seems like an overgrown teen-age girl lately.

Jonny is what keeps the show going, for me. He's funny and I like his down to earth approach to stuff. I can't stand VBH and Tiff somehow gives me the creeps.

He's a quirky guy with a quirky taste, something that we simply don't see anywhere else. Too many presenters nowadays adapt the overexcited (Vicki and sometimes Tiff), or try desperately hard to be funny. He's one of the few that has his own friendly style, and is just being himself it seems!

It's these fundamentals that made Tom Ford so likeable, aside from the different taste in cars. He didn't try to be someone else, he just did his thing and was humourous is his own way!

I think Jonny is great. My fav FG host for sure and miles more interesting to listen to than Plato and even Tiff sometimes. He's very sincere when he speaks and I admire that.

Same here, Jonny is the only thing that kept me watching this season of Fifth Gear. It truly is the worst season ever with Plato gone. Vicky is just one colossal fuck up this season in my opinion, worst items ever made.

Fifth Gear should only be Tiff, Jonny, and bringing back Tom Ford.

Jonny is great. Graham that does the Fifth Gear Web TV videos is also very good on his own.

Jonny and Tom Ford are my two favorite presenters on the show. Tiff and Plato are fun to watch driving, but they aren't very entertaining.

Vicki - is like listening to nails on a chalkboard and since Tiff and Plato handle all the crazy fast driving, she's redundant since her level of driving talent, while better than the mortal man, is dwarfed by the other two.

I can say IMHO Jonny is a fairly good presenter with a moderate sense of humour, a competent writer and, of course, no driving ace.

But I respect him as well as Tiff must be regarded as a true fast driver and VBH should be praised for her sensational upskirt while testing the M5 (for the ones who like that kind of entertainment).

I mean, drifting or showing legs - your choice ;-)

i'd have to agree that Jonny and Tom Ford are great

it took a while to get used to them but their natural enthusiasm really shows

as a presenter Plato is a pretty good driver

He has the charisma of a brick. I don't care what the subject is, it's a FWD moment on the remote control.

If you're someone who makes bricks, or has an affection for bricks, please don't take offense :)

Whenever Top Gear isn't on the air I watch Fifth Gear as a lame attempt to satisfy my TG addiction. It doesn't really work but its marginally better than nothing. Until any item involving Jonny Smith comes on.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Jonny Smith stands out like a sore thumb on the show?

The guy is as dull as dishwater. He's a crap driver. Any speed above 30 mph positively scares him. He has no aesthetic taste. He always prefers the most ugly and boring cars. By comparison, he makes my granny's driving ability and car opinions look edgy, informative and exciting.

Vicky and Tiff must joke about him all the time whenever he's not around.

I can't imagine what whoever hired him for Fifth Gear must have been smoking. Does anyone else here agree that they need to get him off the show ASAP?