Autoblog: Oprah gives away a 2012 New Beetle to her audience

I severely doubt it, considering it is a tiptronic and a manual would be maybe a fraction of a second faster. I assure you, even at highest torque it has barely any power and I am frightened to death trying to merge onto the highway on a daily basis.

A tiptronic is not a DSG or anything, it just lets you go up and down through the gears without having the usual P-R-N-D-3-2-1 arrangement.

Edit: Actually, in the Beetle if it was the 6-speed thing, I believe it was a single clutch arrangement. A bit like an Alfa Selespeed gearbox, and they were horrible so I imagine a manual would still be better, even if not by much.

Last edited:
A tiptronic is not a DSG or anything, it just lets you go up and down through the gears without having the usual P-R-N-D-3-2-1 arrangement.

Edit: Actually, in the Beetle if it was the 6-speed thing, I believe it was a single clutch arrangement. A bit like an Alfa Selespeed gearbox, and they were horrible so I imagine a manual would still be better, even if not by much.

The semi-auto gearbox was probably a later one; kat's is just the usual slide-right-to-shift-manually automatic that VAG used a lot in those days.

I am obviously not boring knowledgeable enough to talk about transmissions there are too many of them with not enough differences and it is confusing.