Orion Ford Falcon release this Sunday, teaser image released, shows nothing of course

flyingfridge

Car(s)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec, VW Passat 118TSI
Will finally get to see the new Falcon on Sunday, but geez, if you're going to release a teaser, at least show us something!

9080213.006.1L.jpg

How is it that Australians get a cool-sounding names like Falcon and Commodore, whereas we get something things called "Mondeo" and "Vectra" (wtf is that even supposed to mean)?

Everyone who tells me they DO get the Mondeo AND the Vectra will get bashed on the head with a plastic bottle. This post is about names.

How is it that Australians get a cool-sounding names like Falcon and Commodore, whereas we get something things called "Mondeo" and "Vectra" (wtf is that even supposed to mean)?
Apparently the names get changed over there when they're no longer 'fresh' but we don't really do that here.
Falcon and Commodore are both old names with the former coming from the American Falcon that was sold here back in the 60's and the latter coming from 1978 when the Kingswood was getting long in the tooth and needed to be replaced with something that looked and sounded ultra-modern. The word Commodore makes me think of Top Gun and the 1980's and the word Falcon makes me think of the Marlboro man for some reason...

I remember reading an article in an Australian car magazine where they'd taken a Falcon XR8 over to England and had a British motoring journalist test it. He liked it and everything but he said they'd have to change the name if they sold it in the UK because the name XR8 sounded "too 1980's"

The names become deeply ingrained in our culture and our vernacular. Hell, we even had a sitcom that was named after The Holden Kingswood:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iir6B4BvgMc[/YOUTUBE]

Oh and yes, those teaser pics; Very teasy indeed. :mrgreen:

Everyone who tells me they DO get the Mondeo AND the Vectra will get bashed on the head with a plastic bottle. This post is about names.

Mondeo is derived from the _______ word for world (mondo).
Vectra is derived from... well, I don't know, but I assumed it had something to do with vector.

Mondeo is derived from the _______ word for world (mondo).
Vectra is derived from... well, I don't know, but I assumed it had something to do with vector.

Oh. Thanks.

Well, I'd still take beautiful birds over vaguefag naming. :p

I'm glad Ford is covering all the bases with that teaser shot. I'm relieved, I was worried for a sec that the next Falcon was going to be a Mitsubishi or a Proton or something.

Fun fact! Did you know the original name for Life on Mars was going to be called "Ford Granada"? How bitchin' would that have been? Also, the Euro Granada is miles cooler than the American glorified LTD Malaise Era barge we got.

wow absoblutely brilliant~
a teaser pic where all you could see is a Ford badge and a plate with Falcon written on it...

Sunday seems an odd day to announce a car; wouldn't it make more sense to do it on a weekday?

Sunday seems an odd day to announce a car; wouldn't it make more sense to do it on a weekday?

they're probably thinking: bugger you all freaky journalists, we're paying stuffload of money in these types of event with all sort of nice food and lovely wine and we won't let you enjoy a full day off work so easily... come have fun and join us on a sunday so you can't be with your family~:lol:

If it follows the pattern of the last twenty years it will be good but not quite as good as the commodore.

I hope that ford US allowed ford AUS to get sync and slap it in the car, the falcon really needs something else "extra"

they're probably thinking: bugger you all freaky journalists, we're paying stuffload of money in these types of event with all sort of nice food and lovely wine and we won't let you enjoy a full day off work so easily... come have fun and join us on a sunday so you can't be with your family~:lol:

nah, the journalists preview was about 2 weeks ago. the publishing embargo ends on sunday.

OMG that looks soooo much like a 5 series, and a knockoff LS, with some hints of the Tata Nano, and it sort of looks like a 1978 S class upside down.

Couldn?t help it, but many threads on this forum are somewhat like that.
Will Ford U.S.A finnally import it? That would be a great move...

OMG that looks soooo much like a 5 series, and a knockoff LS, with some hints of the Tata Nano, and it sort of looks like a 1978 S class upside down.

Couldn?t help it, but many threads on this forum are somewhat like that.
Will Ford U.S.A finnally import it? That would be a great move...

No, ford U.S.A said that there wasn't enough interest to warrent LHD conversion

We Americans got even worse ones.

"Contour" - So unabrasive, it fits right in.

"Taurus" - Complete Bull.

May the heavens save Ford from itself then...
I wonder if that posture will change with the G6 hitting showrooms

We Americans got even worse ones.

"Contour" - So unabrasive, it fits right in.

"Taurus" - Complete Bull.

To an extent, but we also have:
Mustang, Corvette, Charger, Challenger, and Viper to name a few.

^not an XR8, XR8 comes with lamboghini looking rims, check out the latest wheels if you can't wait till Sunday, they have a pretty good picture of what it's gonna look like.