Other Random Car Sightings [Photo Required]

They are all hideous shrunken snot boxes along with the Suzuki Carry which apart from its sibling the X90 and a Mitsubishi L Series van are the worst things it's ever been my misfortune to drive.

*makes note to get one for ringmeet*

Time for some BMWs from the past few weeks. First, while looking for a new motorcycle, I visited a BMW dealer and saw this very nice 3 series:

20200201_110442900b4c80e0145b48.jpg

The pricetag said something like €82,000. :oops:

Then, on a walk through a nearby neighbourhood, the guy that always has some electric vehicle from a company called eshare.one at his disposal chose an i8 for a time, apparently.
20200215_165430c854c372afb4987b.jpg

Now for the main attraction: Around the corner from me, some BMW lover has moved into a garage space to work on his (or not his...) BMWs:

20200413_1716226881df05d12ed06a.jpg

20200413_17152159a508f2752462cb.jpg

There was some notable taste in rims on display... (from a few weeks ago, so not on the pictures above)
20200209_103618e148683900839c96.jpg

20200209_1036043fe6bb9d97133fd5.jpg

And on the other side of the road, the, erm, star of the show:
20200413_1715347f28baabae715389.jpg

20200413_171557a1f611aa4e58d95d.jpg

20200413_171607dff8d3d0f63b6fa7.jpg

Right hand drive! And...
20200413_17154987e9375d27b32443.jpg

While I was out and about today I spotted this (whatever that is...) just parking between all the other cars as if it was a normal runabout... :oops:
Hint: in Germany the H as letter behind the number on the plate means it's a car which is at least 30 years old, otherwise it wouldn't get that H plate. This means it's not a current-ish kit car.

It's apparently a Kelmark GT, an American kit car that was apparently made in 1984 and is based on a Dino 246 design. It has a VW chassis and has a 50hp VW engine... those look like mid-80s Firebird wheels too, I do like those. Someone posted pictures on a Russian site with a different owner (different plates - that's how it works in Germany, right?) but to save you all from that site I've copied a few over. These things were also made on Corvairs...

1587337674929.png

1587337687075.png

1587337698909.png

So the reason it was parked like a normal car is because it really is, just in an admittedly rare and quite pretty body.

Yup, that seems to be the exact same car. As you wrote those pictures are either from a different owner or the owner moved to Hamburg between those and my pictures because up until fairly recently you weren't allowed to keep your license plate when you moved to a different district.

How on earth did you know that it is a Kelmark GT though? It's not as if there are any defining features which are searchable... :eek:

Yup, that seems to be the exact same car. As you wrote those pictures are either from a different owner or the owner moved to Hamburg between those and my pictures because up until fairly recently you weren't allowed to keep your license plate when you moved to a different district.

How on earth did you know that it is a Kelmark GT though? It's not as if there are any defining features which are searchable... :eek:

Closest match is a Dino 246 GT, an image search for 'Dino 246 GT kit car' will be scattered with these. They stand out because of the ugly door handles that apparently come from a Triumph TR7 (the infamous Marina door handles that I still have on my bobtail Discovery :LOL:).

This car is the first result for 'Kelmark GT Martini'. Looks like it was on eBay in October 2016 and didn't meet its reserve at 10 thousand Euros.

Today at a Lidl store: I went to recycle some refundable bottles and cans, and there was a dude who just as he was finished with recycling at least one bin bag full of refundable bottles and cans, went back to his metallic bronze Rolls Royce Silver Shadow II with another such bag full of bottles and cans. That's most likely because he reached his limit of how much bottles and cans he can get refund for in one day.

I presume that a Silver Shadow II, especially if it's RHD as this car was, isn't worth all that much, but it's still somewhat funny to see a guy in a Rolls Royce recycling refundable bottles.

IMG_20200502_131714.jpg

Also, I didn't crop out the people in the photo intentionally just to give you a bit of atmosphere. Besides, you can't really see their faces anyway.

Today at a Lidl store: I went to recycle some refundable bottles and cans, and there was a dude who just as he was finished with recycling at least one bin bag full of refundable bottles and cans, went back to his metallic bronze Rolls Royce Silver Shadow II with another such bag full of bottles and cans. That's most likely because he reached his limit of how much bottles and cans he can get refund for in one day.

I presume that a Silver Shadow II, especially if it's RHD as this car was, isn't worth all that much, but it's still somewhat funny to see a guy in a Rolls Royce recycling refundable bottles.

View attachment 3557484

Also, I didn't crop out the people in the photo intentionally just to give you a bit of atmosphere. Besides, you can't really see their faces anyway.

Heh, that's like here seeing somebody in their big Cadillac SUV or Audi shopping at Aldi or some other low cost grocery store. :)

Maybe he just a Lidl water...

Why shouldn't he do recycling? Now, the fact that he had the cheap water from Lidl... ;)

I'm actually positively surprised he's recycling, but the fact that he brought at least two full-size trash bags makes me think that he's either picking trash from plastic/glass/aluminium bins or that he's just frugal, as he could've just thrown them in those aforementioned bins. Either way, I don't judge him, actually, even if I had the money to buy such car, I'd still go to have them refunded rather than chucking them into bins. If the state wants me to pay them

Also, it's probably not just water from Lidl, but it could be stuff from other places as well. He did go shopping in that Lidl afterwards, though.

Also, it's probably not just water from Lidl, but it could be stuff from other places as well. He did go shopping in that Lidl afterwards, though.

Finland has a nation-wide universal bottle return system which means you can go to any store and return any bottle and get a refund, or use the receipt from the machine as payment. EXCEPT Lidl which for some reason managed to bend the rules. Lidl has some of their own bottles and cans that can’t be returned anywhere else. It’s a great business idea. I can’t be bothered to sort my empties, so I just return everything at Lidl which of course means I spend the refund there.