Our language problems.

zenon

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Messages
2,545
Location
Vancouver, Canada
^ Ontario isn't the best place for asthma though, especially London. My Mom has really bad asthma, but it improved significantly when my parents moved to the west coast.
 

SiR_dude

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2004
Messages
3,639
Location
Somewhere in rural Ontario, Canada
Car(s)
2000 Civic SiR
I don't think I could ever live anywhere but Canada...I'd love to visit other places, but live there??....not for me. I can understand why mischief wants to go back...if I grew up elsewhere, I'd want to go back to.

And to swek and josty, I agree with Zenon - your English is awesome, considering it's your second language :thumbsup:
 

Renesis

Lazier than Viper
Joined
Nov 27, 2003
Messages
9,680
Location
Quebec, Canada
Car(s)
2007 BMW Z4 3.0 SI
ok, do you want to talk more about it? I know it's none of my buisness, nor is it the buisness of anyone here but I'm just curious. If you don't want to it's alright, I'll understand :)
 

pdanev

Forum Addict
Joined
Oct 4, 2004
Messages
5,645
If you want to improve your English, just watch the BBC more often
true, i basically learned german from the tv, i was 7 or 8 when i was constantly watching RTL and somehow it got stuck onto me, i have no troulbe in understanding or speaking (spelling is differnt though, cos i hardly have to write anything in german)

The only thing that helps with written or spoken language is practice.
indeed, books + TV, and the best is of course to go abroad

im actually quite lucky not to have this "translating issue", cos since the age of 7-8 i've been surrounded by several languages simultaneously. native bulgarian, then moved to hungary, hungarian school, bulgarian at home with my parents, neighbours were mostly from russia so i was hanging out with russian guys, german tv, and later on english & french in school. + i had also a lot of people from former yugoslavia, from slovakia etc as neighbours as well, all these are similar to bulgarian so i catch a some words from those as well. being surrounded by so many languages i never had this "thinking in one language, then translating... phases". i guess when u have to switch constantly between languages that often, u dont have the time for thinking in one language and translating then, it somehow disappears....
but yeah, practice is the key, especially talking ;)
 

JoeBlo1

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2004
Messages
541
Location
Toronto
I don't think I could live anywhere else in Canada outside Toronto (and maybe Montreal). I'm not really that interested in anything outside my city (pathetic, I know).

Virtually all the members on this forum can converse in English so competently that it's impossible to differentiate the English natives from the non-English natives.
 

Mischief007

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2004
Messages
4,710
Location
London, Ontario, Canada
Car(s)
1995 Chevy Camaro Z28, 04 VW Jetta GLS
zenon said:
^ Ontario isn't the best place for asthma though, especially London. My Mom has really bad asthma, but it improved significantly when my parents moved to the west coast.

When I lived in Ottawa, it made a huge difference. The air felt cleaner. This is why even the prairies look so promising sometimes. West coast would be great too :).

Well Ren, I was top 3 in my grade 4 class. I was about to go to an elementary school with a high school curriculum (Yes I'm partially gifted). I had loads of friends, life was great, didn't question anything, everyone liked me, even a girl :lol:. Germany was like a wake up call for me. Really LOVED the country and the people there. We lived Northeast of Munich in a town called Viechtach for 3 years and Teisnach for 1 year (you can find both on Mapquest :)). Nothing but good memories.

Things just went for the worse here in Canada. Didn't really start happening until about 5 years ago. After I quit University. It's been a downhill rollercoaster since then. I think I'm starting to reach a plateau if I get this job I'm waiting for, then things might pick up. Now I question everything, I have NO friends literally, I just know people, almost everybody hates me. Lets just say I spend A LOT of time in my room. My room is my little bubble :).

And I don't mind talking about this. It's not like it's a secret or anything :lol:. That's another problem, people hate my honesty and non-bullshit responses. :p
 

SiR_dude

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2004
Messages
3,639
Location
Somewhere in rural Ontario, Canada
Car(s)
2000 Civic SiR
I feel for you...I don't know what it would be like to have to live away from where you desparately want to be...sorry to hear about your troubles..you can always count on us :)
 

Jostyrostelli

Forum Addict
Joined
May 29, 2004
Messages
8,061
Thanks for the compliments guys, I guess when it comes to talk about Top Gear and cars there's no real problem. :)

mischief007 said:
almost everybody hates me

No that's not true, WE all love you!!

Look:

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
 

andyhui01

Forum Addict
Joined
Jun 4, 2004
Messages
8,532
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Car(s)
00' Subaru Forester GT
josty... you're English is pretty good... by just talking to you... I don't think I could tell English was your second language.
 

Buba

Wants Rick Astley's Babies
Joined
Nov 12, 2004
Messages
7,089
Location
Rottal-Inn
Car(s)
BMW M235i
Mischief007 said:
zenon said:
^ Ontario isn't the best place for asthma though, especially London. My Mom has really bad asthma, but it improved significantly when my parents moved to the west coast.

When I lived in Ottawa, it made a huge difference. The air felt cleaner. This is why even the prairies look so promising sometimes. West coast would be great too :).

Well Ren, I was top 3 in my grade 4 class. I was about to go to an elementary school with a high school curriculum (Yes I'm partially gifted). I had loads of friends, life was great, didn't question anything, everyone liked me, even a girl :lol:. Germany was like a wake up call for me. Really LOVED the country and the people there. We lived Northeast of Munich in a town called Viechtach for 3 years and Teisnach for 1 year (you can find both on Mapquest :)). Nothing but good memories.

Things just went for the worse here in Canada. Didn't really start happening until about 5 years ago. After I quit University. It's been a downhill rollercoaster since then. I think I'm starting to reach a plateau if I get this job I'm waiting for, then things might pick up. Now I question everything, I have NO friends literally, I just know people, almost everybody hates me. Lets just say I spend A LOT of time in my room. My room is my little bubble :).

And I don't mind talking about this. It's not like it's a secret or anything :lol:. That's another problem, people hate my honesty and non-bullshit responses. :p

Just move back to Bavaria... Team Finalgear gettogether... You can't be a bad guy, I mean you are part of this forum :mrgreen:

Buba
 

freakster_991

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Messages
674
Location
Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia
Car(s)
87 Corolla [EE90], 98 Civic JDM [EK8], no vtec yo
techz u speak bengali....u must be bangla......haha mother cuth
 

Mischief007

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2004
Messages
4,710
Location
London, Ontario, Canada
Car(s)
1995 Chevy Camaro Z28, 04 VW Jetta GLS
Renesis said:
That sucks. But WHY did you parents obligate you to move to Canada? :?

We were renewing our visa every 3 months. THat's how the German government worked at that time. They didn't want to leave. My mom just told me this month that she also applied to Britain but they refused us. Since we didn't really want to move to Canada, my dad went to the interview (we are hoping for a denied) and it turns out that they accepted us only for that whole day. Everybody was being denied except for us. Even though we didn't know the language. :lol: Pretty fucked up, my dad went in there to get denied and Canada granted us permission to live in Canada. I guess you can call it dumb luck :lol:.


That's why I come here guys. I love this forum since it has people from all over the world :).

Yes Bayern sounds really good right now. Want to go back to lower Bayern. To the Munchen area. :). I'm not that bad of a guy, just to honest for most Canadians. I've gotten in shit with bosses and just about everybody due to my opinions. I'm a no-nonsense kind of guy.

The Canadians on this board are different too though :thumbsup: to you guys :).
 

andyhui01

Forum Addict
Joined
Jun 4, 2004
Messages
8,532
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Car(s)
00' Subaru Forester GT
thats what I love about this forum as well... I get to meet people from different cultures and countries... I remember we had to food thread... saw some tasty food from different cultures
 

swek

Retired Moderator
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
4,602
Location
Hamburg, Germany
Car(s)
Had a bicycle once.
freakster_991 said:
food......yummmmmm

You see now this is what I call spam. Now tell us about your problems with the English language (And I guess there is something you can tell us).
 

freakster_991

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Messages
674
Location
Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia
Car(s)
87 Corolla [EE90], 98 Civic JDM [EK8], no vtec yo
well...i dunt have lanuguage problems...but i do like to use a lot of short words wen im postin thing on the net... apart from that, my english is pretty good IMO... its because i studied in an rnglish school...so i feel like english is my first language even if im not racially from an english speaking country
 

swek

Retired Moderator
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
4,602
Location
Hamburg, Germany
Car(s)
Had a bicycle once.
freakster_991 said:
well...i dunt have lanuguage problems...but i do like to use a lot of short words wen im postin thing on the net... apart from that, my english is pretty good IMO... its because i studied in an rnglish school...so i feel like english is my first language even if im not racially from an english speaking country

Okay, I guess it's only your written language that seems somehow messed up. Can you tell me where this short-style came from. I see it in some posts and I can't figure out how this might be more convenient to use.

Did you start with proper words and decided to shorten it because it might be more usable in chat rooms ?

Personally I thing it's better not to use it because the time you might save writing gets lost if I have to decipher it.
 

andyhui01

Forum Addict
Joined
Jun 4, 2004
Messages
8,532
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Car(s)
00' Subaru Forester GT
yup... I stopped using short words as I myself found it annoying to read so then I realized that people will find it annoying as well.....
 
Top