Our language problems.

I hate the shortened words. My sister is having problems in the English language because she can't put proper words with proper sentences and proper grammar together. She's used to the "chat" slang. All she has to do is use proper words and sentences and she won't have to pay for an English tutor.

OR just join a forum such as that where she would be demolished by everybody saying to write properly :).

This is why this forum is so great. Even all the non-native English speakers construct the sentences and grammar extremely well compared to a good chunk of native English speakers. :).

Mischief007 said:
This is why this forum is so great. Even all the non-native English speakers construct the sentences and grammar extremely well compared to a good chunk of native English speakers. :).

Well, you don't get to the point where you're able to communicate in a foreign language, if you haven't even mastered your own. Thus this forum might be little better because most of us non English natives enjoyed a better education.

Another factor is the topic of the board itself. Top Gear definetly targets adults, so you won't find that many youngsters around here.

swek said:
....Another factor is the topic of the board itself. Top Gear definetly targets adults, so you won't find that many youngsters around here.

Yes, thank god...:lol:

hmm, what do you mean by youngsters? I am pretty sure that the majority of members around here are under 25 :lol: .

Rephrase that. Immature youngsters with the "cool" shorthanded talk :),

freakster_991 said:
well...i dunt have lanuguage problems...but i do like to use a lot of short words wen im postin thing on the net... apart from that, my english is pretty good IMO... its because i studied in an rnglish school...so i feel like english is my first language even if im not racially from an english speaking country

Hello, I'd like to present you to yourself:

Forum: Photography Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:52 am Subject: Free photo editing software
--------------------------------------
wow i thot it just matter if i can get my ideas thru to ppl and just make my thot count...guess ill have to start usin proper sentences in the next post...my last post wit AOL speak :lol:

Now wasn't that ANOTHER post in AOL speak? Please change that quickly, or actions will have to be taken, as it's fucking annoying

^Listen to him, he's an admin for a week, and he WILL (ab)use one of his new "one's in a life-time" powers at least ONCE this week!

But the ban button looks so shiny. I bet he gets the shivers when he moves his mouse over it. :mrgreen:

Haha, no. I don't even know where it is, I think you have to go in the admin CP to do so.

And I've been less nazi than when I was a mod :lol:

Renesis said:
Haha, no. I don't even know where it is, I think you have to go in the admin CP to do so.

And I've been less nazi than when I was a mod :lol:

That's actually very true. :)

you mean ren can ban me just because i use slang words...ouch..im actually scared to type now.. :|

SiR_dude said:
Jostyrostelli said:
"one's in a life-time" powers at least ONCE this week!

Actually, it's "once in a lifetime"....but no biggie.

But yeah, Ren's been unusually nice...what happened? :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Hehe..should I say I knew? Or does that sound arrogant?

8)

sometimes it gets quite annoying to use shortened words, like the post that Ren quoted... I could not make any sense out of it as I didn't understand half the stuff :lol:

excellent topic guys, thought about it myself a lot.
I used to know some europeans before and they were all pretty crappy at English... I was under the impression that maybe europeans do not care too much about learning a foreign language because maybe they don't need it as much as someone here would (because 99% of the ppl here would love to relocate to a 1st world country) but you proved me wrong. I found so many ppl who speak/write english excellently that I now know that the (5 or 6) ppl I knew before were the exception.

And about myself I do think in English, rather than think in Arabic and translate. I guess you can't get good at any language when you're used to thinking in another and translating. A friend of mine is taking English courses right now and he calls on me a lot for help with English vocabulary and I was quite amazed that I had difficulties translating English to my mother tongue (Arabic) when I actually understand the words perfectly, I just can't find the arabic equivalent (even when it exists). I was just talking with my friend about it an hour ago and I'm puzzled.

Voodoo said:
I was quite amazed that I had difficulties translating English to my mother tongue (Arabic) when I actually understand the words perfectly, I just can't find the arabic equivalent (even when it exists).

Those were the words I was looking for, thank you! :thumbsup:

you're welcome :)
And about not finding enough vocabulary for political debates... I think you need a fairly specialized vocabulary for that sorts of discussion, I don't think it's an issue of English being your second language but I think it depends on the language you're used to discussing such topics.
I for one can't discuss science stuff, mathematics, or computer stuff in Arabic (my mother tongue) because I studied everything in English in school since day one. So I don't know the names/expressions for stuff. If you wanna be able to discuss politics in English I suggest you using English resources for your information on politics. Like reading English newspapers, or political analysis books/mags/sites. You should be able to get the necessary vocabulary in no time.

Jostyrostelli said:
^Butt-licker :mrgreen:
I think you meant ass-kisser :p
Is this a translation from dutch? :mrgreen: