Our "own" car reviews

Strange to hear the lack of feel in the Mondeo. I drove one quite a lot when it was new and I remember it had great steering. Could it be an issue with alignment?

I checked the tyres today for the first time, and they're Vredestein Snowtrac 2... I think these will contribute to a dead, numb steering.

I checked the tyres today for the first time, and they're Vredestein Snowtrac 2... I think these will contribute to a dead, numb steering.

Haha, that could indeed explain quite a lot. But truth to be told, it's been almost a decade since my last drive in that generation Mondeo, so my mind can play tricks too.

Attention, FGTV is expanding and we'll be featuring plenty (ish) more videos in the future. There will be a separate thread coming, but for now, a teaser.

e30_soon.jpg

He's looking at Hammond's column of course.

BMW X6 M

As Matt Farah said perfectly: It's ridiculously fast... and ridiculous.
That's all there has to be said. Now look at stuff.

0FHrTN3.jpg

YUcbs4W.jpg

wTa2A6C.jpg

Ok, one thing maybe. The car is stupid, a compromise gone horribly wrong, even when pushed hard by all sorts of technology and frankly magic. It's not bad obviously, just stupid and unnecessary.
The only redeeming feature would seem to be the powertrain. With 575 PS and 750Nm it's the most powerful car I've ever driven, and it definitely is one of the fastest. We achieved launch numbers representative of the official data, 4 seconds 0-100km/h, and reached 270km/h on the Autobahn, with the BMW still pulling slightly. It also corners at speeds you would not believe, in any street car really. I am being absolutely serious, the X6 M corners harder than most sportscars (at 1.2g), and it does so in a very controlled manner. Even so, the way it hurls forward is the main attraction and garners 95% of the attention.
The thing is though, it's a victory in numbers only, which makes it a hollow victory. After you've been impressed by the launch control three or four times and your mates have had a good launch, that novelty wears off though. And then you notice, that you don't really notice a whole lot. You can tell the car is very fast, but only with your eyes. There are no sensations that are felt. No sense of speed, no communication from the machinery around you, no feeling of excitement.
When I'm on the Autobahn usually, going above 230km/h is a real occasion, not just because it happens so infrequently these days. In the X6 M, going faster than 99% of people around you, is a bit boring. And that's probably the worst part of it all.

You can tell the car is very fast, but only with your eyes. There are no sensations that are felt. No sense of speed, no communication from the machinery around you, no feeling of excitement.

Excactly. I had a short go in the pre-facelift model at a Driving Experience event a couple of years ago, and there was no sense of occasion to it whatsoever.

Maybe that's what people want these days.

2014 Ford Mustang V6...

*sigh*...automatic.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Right, before anything else let me just say I quite liked this car. That being said, there are one or two issues, mostly revolving around the slush-box that's attached to the engine.

In short, left to it's own devices, it's not that great. It's not that it's a bad gearbox, it's just that it is determined to keep the engine RPMs low. It's also hesitant to kick down. If you press the go-pedal harder, all you get is this complaining moan from the engine, but don't really go any faster. The solution to this is to mash the gas pedal until the gearbox finally decides to play along or knock the selector lever down to Sport mode and do it yourself. Problem here is that to select the gears on this particular Mustang, you have to use the little toggle switch on the side of the selector lever as opposed to either moving the lever to the side and then up/down to change gears or have paddle-shifters on the back of the steering wheel like on other cars. Personally, that toggle switch just feels kind of wrong. It's unnatural.

Now, before I complain too much, I'll say it again, it's not a bad gearbox. Shifts are nice and smooth and it's fairly quiet at speed, unlike that noisy piece of crap we Americans get in the Fiat 500. Yes, it kind of sucks when left to make it's own decisions, but in Sport mode, despite the awkward toggle switch, it is rather obedient. It does hesitate from time to time, but it's not that bad. It's definitely one of the better manu-matics I've driven (admittedly a short list).

That said, if it were my money, I would buy this car with a proper Manuel manual.

attachment.php

Once you get the stupid gearbox to behave, the engine starts to shine. Yes, it was only a 6 cylinder, but it still had plenty of power to hustle the car along at a pretty good clip. Highway on-ramps were not a problem for this brute. Kick it down to second, put your foot down and you're doing 60 before you know it. Engine has a nice roar once you go above 3K too (the burble at idle is not bad either). Fuel consumption was respectable. Despite the hilly terrain throughout the trip, some bad traffic, and my somewhat aggressive driving style, the car still managed an average of 28 MPG.

obama-not-bad-l.png

So the car has some pretty good go power, and some good stopping power too. Nothing that will tear your face off, but still manages to bleed off speed quickly so you don't rear-end that Civic that pulled out at the last possible moment...

attachment.php

Tires were pretty good on the dry, but they didn't like the rain very much. Sunday, the day we left to come back to Pittsburgh, it was raining on and off. We decided to stop for breakfast before heading back. I was alone in the Mustang, everyone else was in the van. While making the left turn onto this one street, I had to press the gas pedal somewhat firmly as I had traffic approaching. I had done similar maneuvers earlier in the trip when it was dry and all I got was some mild chirping from the tires, so I wasn't really expecting the car to suddenly snap sideways and try to do a 180.

"POWAAA-OH, HOLY SHIT!"

I caught it with the car perfectly centered on the right lane, but still...everyone saw that. And yes, the traction control was on when this happened. Did encounter a few more showers on the road back and the car did feel a little skiddish when the road was wet. Culprit likely being the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires it had which are known to be somewhat crummy in anything other than dry tarmac.

Steering is a little heavy, especially when you set it to "Sport", which I liked. Other settings are "Standard" and "Comfort", with the steering getting (slightly) lighter as you move down. Steering wheel does offer good feedback, though there is a slight numbness in comfort mode, so it's best to leave it in sport or standard when taking on the twisties.

attachment.php

On the highway, it rode well. Doesn't get knocked around easily by crosswinds and it absorbs bumps with minimal impact on the occupants. Bearing in mind this was a base V6 with the (relatively) squishy suspension. The seat did offer great thigh support and even had power adjustable lumbar support. Was pretty comfortable once I had adjusted everything properly. I wouldn't say they're the best seats out there (personally the Lincoln MKZ I drove two years ago had better ones), but still pretty good. Did an 8 hour drive (not including lunch/gas/bathroom stops) in this thing down to Tennessee each way and at the end I didn't have any bodily aches (the softer suspension likely also helped).

Road noise was pretty well managed, though there was some noticeable wind noise coming from the side mirrors. Nothing that would make your ears bleed, though.

As for the rear seats...well, it has them, but that's just about it. Really only meant to carry additional cargo or toddlers. Can't really fit a full-sized adult in the back of one of these things (you could, but they won't be comfortable).

attachment.php

Toys and gadgets, the car didn't have much. Basic sound system with SYNC and BlueTooth, manually operated climate controls, basic instrument cluster with information screen under the tach, cruise control, auto-dimming rear-view mirror and auto up/down driver and passenger windows. Can't complain much about it as I'm still not entirely sold on large touch-screen infotainment systems (probably because most of them still kind of suck). At least the BlueTooth controls worked well with my phone (Android HTC One).

attachment.php

Trunk space is a bit tight, but I still managed to fit a full-size suitcase, a camera bag, a backpack, two pillows, and three rolled-up yoga mats and still had some room for maybe two or three shopping bags. Can't really expect much cargo space in a car like this.

Now, while the car did prove to be a good highway cruiser, let's be honest that's only part of what a Mustang is all about. The other part is being a drag-strip and track brawler. :mrgreen:

A 6 cylinder Mustang won't really impress anyone on a track (except maybe a really tight one), but it can still hold its own when the road is anything but straight. The place we stayed at over the week was a little under an hour away from U.S. Route 129's famous Tail of the Dragon. On Friday, we really didn't have much planned, so I took the opportunity, jumped in the Mustang and headed on over for some fun in the twisties.

And boy, was fun had! :D

Despite the automatic gearbox, THIS car on THAT road was a ton and a half of fun.

Photo dump time!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This last one was taken by 129Slayer
attachment.php

Made a stop on the Foothills Parkway on the way back for these shots as well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I REALLY want a Mustang now...if only I had the monies. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: lip
I have a rental spec Jeep Patriot this week! I'll save you to photos because I can't be bothered to take any...

Holy shit this thing is the most basic base model outside of having roll down windows I've seen. I had no idea that height adjustment on the drivers seat was an option. My work box is a latitude trim that in 2011 gave you a 110v outlet under the arm rest, leather wrapped steering wheel, aluminum wheels, seat height adjustment, butt warmers, steering wheel radio controls, and remote start. This model has none of those things.The height that you're fixed at is too high for my liking, if you're taller than me (5'8") you'll be hitting your head on the ceiling. At this height, my legs are supported by the seat which, after about an hour of driving starts to become uncomfortable, any longer and at the next stop you will stumble out of the car like a toddler. It's that bad, I fiddled with my seating position so many times in the 5 years I've had to drive Patriot to find the best position possible.

This model has a 6 speed transmission which is a huge improvement over the CVT in mine.

Road noise is much higher than I originally thought, I thought it had to do with the current tires on my jeep and the state of the roads in the mid-west, nope, not the case. These things have almost no dampening in the cabin. Hell, a Nissan Rogue, Chevy Cruze, Ford Focus or Dodge Dart has better dampening than this shit box.

This model has a tan/black interior compared to a more normal all black interior. It helps brighten things up and give more of a depth inside but, that's it.

The steering and ride are much tighter and more solid feeling in this 3,000 mile Patriot compared to my 101,800 mile version. The rental box feels lighter over bumps where mine feels like a rubber-y brick smashing into things.

Eh, that's it. If you're thinking of buying one because the price is compelling don't. Or even the Compass, it's the same car.

The only good thing about the Patriots are it's looks, the radio, and HVAC controls. Simple, no dumb touch screen(even in bluetooth equipped radios) non-obtrusive goodness. And if you don't like the radio you're able to upgrade it from the aftermarket.

This weekend I shall be mostly

1403948507.jpg

Driving a Plug In Hybrid Mitsubishi Outlander thing. It's been ages since I've driven a hybrid, and this is the most pointless one yet (add weight and a tiny bit of power to a 2l petrol powered 4x4 => result)

2014_03_20_mitsubishi_outlander_phev_01.jpg

Expect a review, like it or not.

1403948507.jpg

Driving a Plug In Hybrid Mitsubishi Outlander thing. It's been ages since I've driven a hybrid, and this is the most pointless one yet (add weight and a tiny bit of power to a 2l petrol powered 4x4 => result)

I've heard it's quite good. The electric range is enough for most people's commute.

Apparently you can only drive it for about 40kms with a full battery, which would suit me fine as a commute.
If you do use the petrol engine, its consumption is ridiculous from what I hear from coworkers (around 12-15l/100 kms, which is ridiculous)

It will be the first 3 engined car I'll have ever driven though (it has a petrol engine in the fron + an electric one at each axle). It sounds complicated and daft tbh.

Wonder why they didn't drop the 2.2 liter HDI from the previous Outlander in there. There's no reason why an SUV should have spark plugs.

I think he understood the what but is unclear on the why

1403948507.jpg

Noice! If you could, could you let us know how the interior is?

Averaged (!) 17.3l/100 km on a short bit of highway @120kph. Battery charges rather quickly this way. Its waftmatic in full electric mode. Proper big too. Interior rather plasticky, kickass stereo with retarded control buttons. More later