Our "own" car reviews

You also have to remember that trucks have come a long way. A truck is not a hideously interiored, cheap shitbox. 20-30 years ago, yes, but now, not so much.

TL;DR: Trucks are practical in some parts of the world, get over it.
The King Ranch interior is "meh". It's better than the Denali, but still not an actual luxury interior, by any means. I say that as someone shopping for a truck as a tow vehicle and, potentially, Nugget's daily driver. He's certainly concerned about the interior, but the King Ranch / Denali just isn't inspiring when compared with the mid-level interiors.

You are right to say they're not hideous, cheap-shitbox level. It's not a bad place to be. It's just the ones that pretend to be luxury cars and fall short that make me laugh. :)

Why don't you go complain about them ruining the thread first?

Point taken. My apologies. Based on your past tendency towards disputativeness, I made a rushed assumption on whom to place blame.

So, correcting myself to a more generalized bit of bitching:

ffs guys, stay on topic.

:angel:

Last edited:
Someone reviewed his mom's new truck and the discussion of her needing the truck began, seems well within the topic to me...

The King Ranch interior is "meh". It's better than the Denali, but still not an actual luxury interior, by any means. I say that as someone shopping for a truck as a tow vehicle and, potentially, Nugget's daily driver. He's certainly concerned about the interior, but the King Ranch / Denali just isn't inspiring when compared with the mid-level interiors.

You are right to say they're not hideous, cheap-shitbox level. It's not a bad place to be. It's just the ones that pretend to be luxury cars and fall short that make me laugh. :)

I kinda see what you mean. I know, trucks and soft-touch plastic probably don't mix, but when your paying that much for one...

Hey look! It's this crap again.....

Last edited:
An update to my 2012 Ford Focus review.

Ford finally sent me the video of my run. I thought I was driving pretty fast but it doesn't look like it in the video.

Also, when I was talking to one of the guys at the event, I mentioned that I was looking forward to the Focus ST. He suddenly got very quiet and said "I'm not supposed to talk about that."

I may get the chance to drive an all electric smart soon. As I know most of you looooooove electric cars even more than hybrids, I'm sure you guys can't wait ....

Still, the thing is only supposed to go on sale in 2012 so it's some kind of scoop. And besides, I'm curious how it drives

I may get the chance to drive an all electric smart soon. As I know most of you looooooove electric cars even more than hybrids, I'm sure you guys can't wait ....

Still, the thing is only supposed to go on sale in 2012 so it's some kind of scoop. And besides, I'm curious how it drives

It's a smart, and it's electric, what do you expect?
bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, bzzzzzzzzzzzzz, bzzzzz........ohh, dead battery. :p

Last edited:
This car is very good at doing what it was designed for : being a small, nippy runabout that's ridiculously cheap to buy, ridiculously cheap to run, while still being stylish and funky.

I come to you with a direct quote from my previous loaner car. As today, the Picasso had to go in again, to solve the very same problem (French electronics, how do they work?). The car I received though, was at the time aiming for much the same thing as I described above, but somehow failed miserably.

The dude at the garage almost apologized for giving me this one, and noted "this isn't the newest loaner car we currently have, but it's still good. It's also all we have left".

He then handed me keys and pointed me to this wedge shaped object : (pic stolen from Wikipedia)

Citroen_ZX_front_20080118.jpg

A lovely Citroen ZX 1.9 diesel.

Well,where to begin? It seemed they bought this off an old person, as the car was 16 years old according to the documents, but had only covered 133.000 kms. Mechanically, it was OK, but the interior did smell of old people, and whoever thought those fabric seats was a good idea should be shot.

We also have a "classic" Citroen 2 spoke steering wheel without airbag, which was actually quite OK.

The drive then.... first thing I noticed that (like the C1) this one didn't have power steering, but here it annoyed me. It was too heavy most of the time and really too heavy when parking. In stark contrast to the C1 this one did have a radio, but I've never seen one as old as that.....

Foto0034.jpg

Analog scrolling FTL!

As I drove more and more I really felt that this car has its best life behind it, the needle of the speedo did a particularly big wobble pretty much constantly, so you were never quite sure how fast you were going, always "between 70 and 80 kph... ish"

The 1.9 engine was pretty much dead in all but the narrowest of rev bands... it revved very slowly up until about 4000, then you had a weak moment of power,then the rev limiter at 4,500. Ungood. Upon researching the car afterwards I found out it had 70 hp, but it felt sloooooooow

Foto0035.jpg

Also unlike the C1, 145ish was the top speed, and when I did this (eventually) I couldn't help but notice that it felt like this was the first time this car had gone that fast.

All in all colour me very unimpressed. Sure it may have been cheap at the time, but IMO the looks are some of the worst Citroen have ever produced, it was neither fun to corner nor quick, nor refined. The ride was the best quality, and I'm being generous....
I won't say it was the worst car I've ever driven (that honour is reserved for the special level of hell that is the Rover Streetwise), but it's damn close.

A car that really makes you appreciate modern cars...

Just recently drove 2011 Audi TT Quatrro, will try to put up review soon. and my friend's dad recently purchased a 2011 Merc SL550, so I am going to be trying to sell my soul to drive it for awhile, no promises though ^_^ :burnrubber::burnrubber:

Joy of joys, I managed to rent something that's not a Chevy! Last weekend in Austin, I managed to snag a Mazda3 with the base engine and slapshift automatic. First impressions were jarring, if only because I've been driving cars designed in the last century for the entirety of my driving life. Where's the display for the CD player?! Oh...on top of the dash near the windshield. WTF? And the clock was half an hour off and I could not for the life of me figure out how to change it. And where have the gas and engine temperature gauges gone? There was no need to make them digital and stick them between the tach and the speedo; plenty of room on the instrument binnacle!

Starting it up, cranked the AC, and it cooled down the interior fast enough. I was still getting used to the concepts of headroom and elbow room while driving it to the hotel and getting annoyed at its lack of passing power, at least until I tried shifting it manually and kicking down a couple of gears. This car has one of the best manumatics I've ever tried, with fast shifts and a pattern that puts the downshift on the forward motion of the gearstick, as it should be. On a twisty back road north of the city, I chucked it around the corners and it was joyful fun, even without the rental car handling bonus. If ever I had no choice but to trade up to a modern car, this would be it.

Joy of joys, I managed to rent something that's not a Chevy! Last weekend in Austin, I managed to snag a Mazda3 with the base engine and slapshift automatic. First impressions were jarring, if only because I've been driving cars designed in the last century for the entirety of my driving life. Where's the display for the CD player?! Oh...on top of the dash near the windshield. WTF? And the clock was half an hour off and I could not for the life of me figure out how to change it. And where have the gas and engine temperature gauges gone? There was no need to make them digital and stick them between the tach and the speedo; plenty of room on the instrument binnacle!

Starting it up, cranked the AC, and it cooled down the interior fast enough. I was still getting used to the concepts of headroom and elbow room while driving it to the hotel and getting annoyed at its lack of passing power, at least until I tried shifting it manually and kicking down a couple of gears. This car has one of the best manumatics I've ever tried, with fast shifts and a pattern that puts the downshift on the forward motion of the gearstick, as it should be. On a twisty back road north of the city, I chucked it around the corners and it was joyful fun, even without the rental car handling bonus. If ever I had no choice but to trade up to a modern car, this would be it.

Hence my satisfaction with the manumatic in my car, it's set up the same way. I even get 6 gears. No, it's not the same, not nearly, but it could be a lot worse. I've become a bit of a Mazda fanboy as of late so it's nice to see some justification.

Where's the display for the CD player?! Oh...on top of the dash near the windshield. WTF?

Best place for it. It's the same in my car, you don't have to take your eyes so far off the road to look at the station or whatever. Same in the Astra.

/not sure if sarcasm

Best place for it. It's the same in my car, you don't have to take your eyes so far off the road to look at the station or whatever. Same in the Astra.

/not sure if sarcasm

True. Most "modernish" cars have a similar layout

opel-astra-g-interior.jpg

what I don't like though, is that sometimes they move the speedo and everything there, I don't want to broadcast my speed to the people around me at all times....

citroen-xsara-picasso-int.jpg

I went to my barber today and had a look at his new car (what, your barber visits don't include car tests?), it was a Jeep Compass and I was surprised, it wasn't half bad. It dinged loudly at me for no reason and had funny messages like DOOR YARR AJAR (I know the door is open, thats why I stopped and opened the door, to get out, you stupid car) and the airconditioning worked in mysterious ways (AC light flashes and turns off if you turn it on, but the cold air kept coming so it must have been on anyway) but overall it was better than my admittedly low expectations on a Jeep.

Edit
But not 269 900 kronor good, which is the sticker price. I hope he's good at haggling. Being Iranian, he should be. I'd say it's 159 900 kronor good. Overprice by a hundred thousand, a bit steep.

Last edited:
I see the Compass as completely pointless. It's uglier and more useless than the Patriot, which is cheaper.