Our "own" car reviews

I drove the 1.6 16v 4x4 and it was more or less what you'd expect from a 1.6 liter with the wrong number of turbochargers. The diesel is the one to go for, I can tell you that without ever having driven anything powered by the 1.5 dCi in my entire life. :lol:

You can tell Renault has a finger in the design process as well. The heater controls are pretty far away and the gauge cluster is tilted backwards. Not saying it's bad, it's just very Renault.

I drove the 1.6 16v 4x4 and it was more or less what you'd expect from a 1.6 liter with the wrong number of turbochargers. The diesel is the one to go for, I can tell you that without ever having driven anything powered by the 1.5 dCi in my entire life. :lol:

You can tell Renault has a finger in the design process as well. The heater controls are pretty far away and the gauge cluster is tilted backwards. Not saying it's bad, it's just very Renault.

"New Duster...it's very Renault!"

*hears pocketbooks snap shut*

"Wait..no..that's not what I meant.."

"New Duster...it's very Renault!"

*hears pocketbooks snap shut*

"Wait..no..that's not what I meant.."

:lol: Dacia has never been anything other than Renault in one form or another. I guess many buyers within their newly found western customer base don't realize this though.

Last edited:
Yeah its definitely Renault. The wiper stalks and radio controls behind the steering wheel are identical to the ones in the Kangoo. There's nothing wrong with them, but a brand new Duster uses the same parts as an 18 year old Megane :lol:

Last edited:
For reasons described here I?ve spent the weekend driving an F30. It?s the 316d with autotragic gears, iDrive and 6000km?s on the clock.

http://imageshack.**/a/img521/4940/img1413q.jpg

http://imageshack.**/a/img854/4669/img1416h.jpg

The 16d is too damn small for a car this size. In urban driving, when going under 60km/h, the acceleration is just enough, but then it just runs out of juice. It?s the same engine as in my 118d, only de-tuned, and as the F30 weighs more than my E81, the problem is clear.

http://imageshack.**/a/img10/8279/img1423gb.jpg

The driver?s quarters are nice as can be expected from a BMW. Everything is where you want it to be and even the cupholders can be found under a removable lid for which I couldn?t find any logical place. The windscreen is clearly smaller than in an E81 and the rear view mirror and A-pillars are huge, so visibility could be better.

http://imageshack.**/a/img838/1060/img1419um.jpg

http://imageshack.**/a/img593/7009/img1425jp.jpg

I also recommend folding the rear neck rests down when not using them?

http://imageshack.**/a/img32/2278/img1421z.jpg

The rear seats are quite comfortable and spacious for two passengers. It would get quite crowded back there with a third. Also the trunk is quite spacious for a sedan.

http://imageshack.**/a/img11/7017/img1418jm.jpg

http://imageshack.**/a/img14/37/img1424fu.jpg

Even though I still think all modern BMWs and Audis look exactly alike from the front, I?m beginning to understand the front in this one. It?s all ?look at me, I?m angry because I?m so underpowered!?

http://imageshack.**/a/img841/847/img1414ks.jpg

But forgetting the engine and the visibility, the worst part of all was the handling. This one clearly had the el cheapo-chassis stolen from a bouncy castle, not even the sport-mode did much good. This added to the horrifying studded tires made it impossible for the car to go in a straight line on the freeway or into any sorts of corners in the way a German car should.

Nevertheless I would take one in a heartbeat if it was more powerful, had studdless tires, was the touring model and probably the sound system could use a boost too.

E: Oh yeah, forgot to add. The automatic start/stop function does NOT work in an automatic car. Hell, it stopped the engine every single f*cking time I stopped to let a pedestrian cross the street. Immediately when it stalled, I lifted the brake and it started again. That's got to do some good to the starter motor...

Last edited:
Is it true you guys don't get ESP on a Duster?

We don't either.. is it different in Germany? 200ish ? option here
Which leads me to my next point : why are there any top spec Dacias around? The whole point of Dacia is cheap and cheerful, and for the amount of money they charge I wouldn't hold it against them if they forgot to put the 4th wheel on. Or forget to paint it... I'd have the base diesel with a decent stereo and not a whole lot more....

Why spec up a car that's designed to be cheap in the first place?

The 16d is too damn small for a car this size. In urban driving, when going under 60km/h, the acceleration is just enough, but then it just runs out of juice. It?s the same engine as in my 118d, only de-tuned, and as the F30 weighs more than my E81, the problem is clear.

E: Oh yeah, forgot to add. The automatic start/stop function does NOT work in an automatic car. Hell, it stopped the engine every single f*cking time I stopped to let a pedestrian cross the street. Immediately when it stalled, I lifted the brake and it started again. That's got to do some good to the starter motor...

Finally, Ive been trying to talk sense into my colleague that the 16d and the 18d are worlds apart and he still got the 16d and doesn't care because it has the right badge... could have had a better specced Merc C200 for less monies...

Also, weird about the start/stop thing. I think the new cars have special starter motors designed for a million startups though...

We don't either.. is it different in Germany? 200ish ? option here
Which leads me to my next point : why are there any top spec Dacias around? The whole point of Dacia is cheap and cheerful, and for the amount of money they charge I wouldn't hold it against them if they forgot to put the 4th wheel on. Or forget to paint it... I'd have the base diesel with a decent stereo and not a whole lot more....

The same reason why the Aveo could be had with faux wood trim, chrome interior accents, and perforated leather trim: There's a sucker born every minute

EDIT: Fuck... Thought I Was in random thoughts...sorry guys!

Last edited:
ESP isn't a frivolous extra, it's a necessary safety device that should be made mandatory in law if you ask me.

ESP isn't a frivolous extra, it's a necessary safety device that should be made mandatory in law if you ask me.

This I do agree with. I personally would opt for a higher trim level of a car I was interested in if the base didn't come with ESC.

If I couldn't afford to step up and it wasn't a stand alone option (Honda used to do this with ESC a few years back...you'd have to get a EX with Leather or Navi to get it on most models) i'd pick a different car. Here in the states it's mandatory since 2012 for vehicles under 10,000 pounds.

EDIT: The Lodgy's safety performance is very disappointing: http://www.carsafetyrules.com/dacia-lodgy-safety-test-rated-worst-of-2012/1128/

I know it's a budget brand but come on...that's ridiculous for a modern car. I know they're banking on people wanting to buy "new", but you could get into a super safe Renault Espace second hand and not only get more kit but get a safer car for your family. Also, not including ESC standard on a MPV is criminally cheap.

Last edited:

It is mandatory already, but there is some transition period until October 2014 that lets already approved models slip through without.

It's a 300? option here - my point was it's not an option in the UK, it's simply unavailable. Even if you want it and want to pay for it.

Completely agree, but it seems we get a big buggered over with Dacia. The base ?9k model can't be had with the diesel engine (and we don't get the better petrol engine) or air con (although while we were talking with the salesman it seemed that it may be possible to add stuff like that, but I'm not sure). The engine choice is the biggest killer, though - 2wd Diesel starts at ?11.5k all of a sudden.

Also the UK market unnecessarily demands higher spec. We have to have a one up on the Jones' next door... Steelies are very rare over here (without hubcabs) and most people who buy the Duster here will probably have the top spec Laureate simply because they want the alloy wheels...

most people who buy the Duster here will probably have the top spec Laureate simply because they want the alloy wheels...

Which is where you get buggered again, over here there's one more notch above Laureate that you don't seem to get.

A top spec Duster is still half the price of something like a CR-V or RAV4.

I know it's a budget brand but come on...that's ridiculous for a modern car. I know they're banking on people wanting to buy "new", but you could get into a super safe Renault Espace second hand and not only get more kit but get a safer car for your family. Also, not including ESC standard on a MPV is criminally cheap.

It's basically an old chassis with a new badge, it's bound to get crappy. I even see why they deleted the STANDARD ESP...price pwns in this part of the market, there's nothing (aside from maybe a Skoda Superb estate with all the toys) that gives you this much car for so little monies

my point was it's not an option in the UK, it's simply unavailable. Even if you want it and want to pay for it.

That is just ridiculous and daft

Completely agree, but it seems we get a big buggered over with Dacia. The base ?9k model can't be had with the diesel engine (and we don't get the better petrol engine) or air con (although while we were talking with the salesman it seemed that it may be possible to add stuff like that, but I'm not sure). The engine choice is the biggest killer, though - 2wd Diesel starts at ?11.5k all of a sudden.

Also the UK market unnecessarily demands higher spec. We have to have a one up on the Jones' next door... Steelies are very rare over here (without hubcabs) and most people who buy the Duster here will probably have the top spec Laureate simply because they want the alloy wheels...

We do get the weird engine combos either :you can have 4WD on any petrol and spec level, but if you want 4WD + diesel (which is what everyone will want), you need the highest specced one???

On the alloy wheels : I may be weird but I don't understand paying monies for this...at all! If it's part of an option pack or something or it's 400? or something, I do understand the appeal, but not wanting a car as a whole because of wheels???? Especially this kind of car needs steelies and a couple of dings as standard equipment...

A top spec Duster is still half the price of something like a CR-V or RAV4.

True, but it'll break down a lot more often and will last half as long...

I don't know for sure, but in general any Japanese car >>> any car the French don't want to put their badge on so they tell everyone it's Romanian (although its not)

I'd rather fix a Renault (or a Skoda) than drive a Japanese car any day of the week. Seriously, I can't put my finger on it but there's something about japanese cars in general that just puts me off owning one. There's nothing wrong with them, objectively speaking.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Dacia reliability either. Their main powerplants are the stone-age 1.6 and the 1.5 diesel which has been in countless Renaults and Nissans with no issues whatsoever. But we all know all French cars are bad because someone's neighbors dog's veterinarian had a Kangoo which had a busted lightbulb once.

</rant>

And Dacia is just as much French and/or Romanian now as it was in 1966 when the company was founded.

Last edited:
...Renault..1.5 diesel...no issues whatsoever

Surely you mean this sarcastically. My own friend has a 1.5dCi and the nicest thing that he's got from it is 900km to a tank of diesel. That's all that is good about it. And not like he's bought a dud, these things are notorious for failing fuel pumps, pissing small pieces of metal and destroying the injectors and fuel lines. Not to mention the turbos blowing, body/airbag/ABS computers shitting the bed (unrelated to the engine, I know) . :| <_<

The 1.6, sure, that's so old it doesn't really have any right not to be reliable. But this 1.5 monstrosity is just out there with Triumph V8s and Trabants.

Last edited: