Our "own" car reviews

According to a japanese car the clock would now be 11:17 which it clearly is not.

According to a japanese car the clock would now be 11:17 which it clearly is not.

I'd rather fix a Renault (or a Skoda) than drive a Japanese car any day of the week. Seriously, I can't put my finger on it but there's something about japanese cars in general that just puts me off owning one. There's nothing wrong with them, objectively speaking.
Yes I like many things Japanese, my monitor is japanese and excellent, TV too, speakers and stuff. But I don't like japanese cars. Aside from the Mandatory Cyan Colour Twelve Hour Japanese Digital Clock? installed in every japanese vehicle, and their insistance on re-using the same buttons (with big text labels) in every interior since 1993, there's something else about the feel. Subaru are reliable the statistics say, but I want to get out immediately. I don't like Nissans, even if they're a Renault derivative with a few bits of weird thrown in.

Oddly, Korean cars do not suffer from the japanese feel (or 12 hour clocks). Maybe the japanese spray their cars with Marvin aroma.

Last edited:
Yet another reason to get a Miata! At least early NAs don't have any clock whatsoever. And as they hardly have any buttons, texts are not a problem either! :p

I have to agree on Japanese cars.

My best mate has a DC5 Integra, a car that should have some panache and character, but there's just something missing from the whole experience. Yes, it is pretty nice to drive. The gear change is the best I've ever felt. But you sit in it, despite the bucket seats and cockpit interior, and it's just... not quite right. Maybe it's because the upholstery on those bucket seats is the same as the veloury fabric in your gran's 1997 Civic. And to drive it just leaves me cold. It's just as fast as my Renault, probably would be similar around a track too. But it's just a dull experience, and it really shouldn't be in something that's meant to be a sports car.

In ordinary Japanese cars it's still a problem. My friend recently bought a brand new Mazda 3. Compared to say, a Golf, the inside is just depressing. Yeah, a Golf isn't a barrel of excitement either, but compared to the circa 2004 Sharp hi-fi system that is the Mazda's interior it's a luxury penthouse with a jacuzzi.

Just like Jeremy calling his MX-5 in the Middle East special dull, soulless, and "just a machine" even though it is great to drive. I think it just has to do with what kind of personality the company who builds the car has. Most German and Japanese car makers are perfectionists and that's why most (if not all) of their cars are "dull and soulless", while most Italian and French cars (usually inferior overall compared to their Japanese and German counterparts) are made with some extra personality and pizzazz (just like the people who make them).

Last edited:
I agree. My Fiat is flawed in many ways, but I couldn't bear to drive a VW Polo or Toyota Yaris instead (and yes I have already driven both). They just lack that special something that even my run of the mill Fiat is blessed with.

Sooo... my Passat. Had it for a week or 930km so far, at least one week to go. It's a manual 103kW 2.0 TDI estate, likely Comfortline spec + optional satnav, five months old, got it with 9500km on the odometer.
It's been almost exclusively Autobahn, up and down the A7 - very much unexciting, a calm boring mile eater :clap: exactly what you expect from a Passat. There's enough go until about 200, after that it gets very sluggish but still composed and unexciting. On average I've used just under 6l/100km, or about 40mpgus/48mpguk, quite decent considering the speed :burnrubber: on a shorter, mostly restricted stretch it easily shaved off a litre.
The start-stop works well, my first car with that feature... but too little city driving to get a robust feel on how much it actually saves.
I'd swap it for my Octavia any day, but then I only paid half as much :eek: comfort-wise it's about equal, a bit bigger, a bit better equipped, a bit faster, a bit louder, cheaper to fuel due to TDI, more to tax of course.

I'll try to remember taking a picture soon, but yeah... picture a blue Passat estate and you're there :p

Last edited:
You consider the Passat louder than your Skoda? Engine or road noise?

edit: snafu

Last edited:
My work had an '06 2.0T Passat. Looking back on it, it's quite a boring car. I thought German cars were supposed to be exquisite pieces of speed demons?

My work had an '06 2.0T Passat. Looking back on it, it's quite a boring car. I thought German cars were supposed to be exquisite pieces of speed demons?

No, they're supposed to be excactly like narf described: composed and unexciting.

A Passat is just a run-off-the-mill, safe car, period. The 2.0T can get up to about 240 kph (150 mph) withouth much hassle so it's quick enough even for german Autobahns, but I wouldn't call it a speed demon.
If you want a speed demon you're wrong with VW, for that you'd need an Audi R8, a Porsche or the like.

I don't know, I don't find the boringness to be particularly a Japanese or even German thing. I drive a lot of American cars as well and a whole lot of them are boring, some moreso than the least interesting Japanese cars. Korean cars...unless its a RWD Genesis, they too fail to excite me during a drive, they're nice and comfortable...but that's what a Camry does too. I've driven a Fiat 500...I like the small car part about it but I get the sense that if I drove an iQ that I'd feel the same way about the small car part but find the Fiat not so good.

I get your point, but while the IQ is clever, it's absolutely terrible.

Last edited:

"Speed demon" may be inaccurate, but it's perfect for eating up long distances. You can travel comfortably at 200 all day long without you or it working up a sweat. Sure, you'll still get overtaken a lot, but then you see those brake erratically when someone pulls out doing only 160 :)shakefist:), then you see them speed off again, brake again, ... for that this Passat doesn't have enough oomph. I'm fine with that though, because that way of travelling would be much more exhausting and not that much faster - and it trains you not to brake too much :lol:. If it weren't for bad organizing :)shakefist: again) I'd be in one of our 3.0TDI A6s, but wouldn't be going much faster - only a bit more refined.

Screw This Car: The 2013 Dodge Journey

So the readers who go through the Random Thoughts [Automotive] thread or hang around IRC already know that my Dart's GPS stopped working and I had to take it to the dealer yesterday. Well, the dealer kindly paid for my rental, on the condition the rental was a Dodge. The rental place they partner with only had two Dodges though, so my only choice was color. This stuck me with...

NkIOKCZ.jpg

The worst car I have ever driven.

A 2013 Dodge Journey SXT, in white, with all wheel drive and the optional V6 with the six-speed shiftable automatic. This is going to be a very short review.

9C2Qt4V.jpg

Just like all the dimensions of the rear window.

The thing was massive on the outside, far more than the inside would suggest. The hood was farther forward than I thought, and the rear was farther back than it looked. Front visibility is fine, the mirrors aren't remarkable, side blind spots are a bit larger than normal (but manageable), and rear visibility is atrocious even with the 3rd row seats folded down. Good luck seeing anything below the air intake on SUVs behind you.

7xtFaAL.jpg

At least the 2nd row looked fine, if slightly cramped.

3FyzqaW.jpg

3rd row is for those with less than average height only, and look like a bitch to get into.

VqN5ZML.jpg

This is just embarrassing.

The interior was almost entirely made of that hard textured plastic, except for the seats and armrests.

4fSlbwf.jpg

As bare as the driving experience.

This wasn't the base Journey, but even one trim up with some options, the dash was pretty bare and gimmicky. The center screen, tiny as it was, was a touchscreen. But being so small, trying to touch anything while moving was inviting the slightest bump to make you jab the hard plastic around the screen rather than anything useful. Not that it much mattered, most of the important functions had hard keys.

rCjf8TU.jpg

Fuck you.

Nt8cL9r.jpg

Because you hate yourself.

The dials were hard to read in the daytime; just had too many lines (The 10mph lines, 5mph lines, and 2mph lines, all white with silver surrounds). Though this was rectified with lighting at night. Not true for the center display. Those buttons were lit in blue and somewhat too dim to be useful. Center display was strangely useful; it came with readouts for oil temp, oil pressure, coolant temp, transmission oil temp, tire pressure, and engine hours.

The worst part, though, was the driving.

Suspension feels similar to a stiffened compact car; kind of harsh in bumps without actually transmitting feedback on the road surface (that was weird) and yet still allowing inordinate amounts of body roll. Taking turns felt like a gamble every single time at any speed. Pedal travel on both gas and brake was awful. For the first half inch the pedals did absolutely nothing before immediately giving you a quarter of all available action. Backing into a tight space was like trying to back up a bucking bull. Just clamp brakes, half throttle, clamp brakes, half throttle until I was out of the travel lane enough that I could shut it off and get out. Steering is light, but completely numb.

I hated every minute of driving the thing, and was never as glad as when I parked at the dealer and took back the keys to my Dart.

Reactions: lip
I hated every minute of driving the thing, and was never as glad as when I parked at the dealer and took back the keys to my Dart.
This is how I feel whenever I drive anything from that era of Daimler Chrysler vehicles, although the Journey is indeed quite a bit worse. I'm tempted to say its the worst CUV of the 21st century based on the fact that its outright lousy and even pretending to be a Caravan replacement...its worse than the Caravan in every possible measure. The Avenger/200 are pretty much like the Journey only shorter, and be glad you didn't have to experience the pre-refresh Journey with the 2.4L 4-cylinder which made it really slow, the interior was even uglier, the gear lever was given the 2nd row passengers and was more prone to problems because it was a half baked vehicle rushed to production.

I totally remember the conversation I had with one of our frequent customers when I first met her as I had to drive her back to pick up her car. I asked about the car she was given by us and she simply said "It probably doesn't matter what you give me, its better than a Journey." I asked why, she simply said "I drive one." Unfortunately for her she had no choice as this was a company car and the Journey was a reason why she was a frequent customer.

The worst car I have ever driven.

...really? Even worse than this?
img-0092-1-8619.JPG

REMEMBER ME?!? :|

I'm suddenly tempted to test drive one just to see how bad it is for myself...

Screw This Car: The 2013 Dodge Journey.

This is how I feel whenever I drive anything from that era of Daimler Chrysler vehicles, although the Journey is indeed quite a bit worse. I'm tempted to say its the worst CUV of the 21st century based on the fact that its outright lousy and even pretending to be a Caravan replacement...its worse than the Caravan in every possible measure. The Avenger/200 are pretty much like the Journey only shorter, and be glad you didn't have to experience the pre-refresh Journey with the 2.4L 4-cylinder which made it really slow, the interior was even uglier, the gear lever was given the 2nd row passengers and was more prone to problems because it was a half baked vehicle rushed to production.

I totally remember the conversation I had with one of our frequent customers when I first met her as I had to drive her back to pick up her car. I asked about the car she was given by us and she simply said "It probably doesn't matter what you give me, its better than a Journey." I asked why, she simply said "I drive one." Unfortunately for her she had no choice as this was a company car and the Journey was a reason why she was a frequent customer.

:lol: damn that's awful.