Our "own" car reviews

• Given FIAT's reputation, engine might explode the day the warranty runs out

"Given fiat's reputation..." what reputation is this?

They sold 2 million cars in 2011, they have to do something right.

[*]1.4 turbo has no power below 2,200 RPM (noticeable turbo lag, can barely pull car along)

I don't know what kind of engines they give to the Yanks, but I can assure you that the 1.4 16v Multiair Turbo that I recently drove and experienced, showed barely any lag. What lag there was, was under 1500rpm. Stock factory.

[*]Given FIAT's reputation, engine might explode the day the warranty runs out

Get it together son and stop drivelling out old car-review stereotypes.

I don't know what kind of engines they give to the Yanks, but I can assure you that the 1.4 16v Multiair Turbo that I recently drove and experienced, showed barely any lag. What lag there was, was under 1500rpm. Stock factory.

It's basically the same engine in the FIAT 500 Abarth, but from my understanding they turn the turbos all the way up to 11...

Dodge Dart 1.4T - 160hp @ 5,500RPM, 184lb-ft @ 2,500RPM
Fiat 500 Abarth - 133hp @ 5,500RPM, 130lb-ft (152lb-ft in sport mode) @3,000RPM

...don't know which one you drove.

2013 Dodge Dart Limited
Pros:
  • 4-wheel disc brakes standard

They still make cars that don't have this as standard? Sure, mine hasn't, but mine was built in 2003, and probably designed in 1993... I though this was a given on any car now (aside sooper cheap econoboxes), correct me if I'm wrong

2012 Lincoln MKZ
Neutral:
  • Exterior styling (some like it, some don't)

I like. Based on the latest 9-5 Saab I presume? (I drove that one)

They still make cars that don't have this as standard? Sure, mine hasn't, but mine was built in 2003, and probably designed in 1993... I though this was a given on any car now (aside sooper cheap econoboxes), correct me if I'm wrong

In the compact and below segment it's still somewhat common to have base to mid level trims with drums in the rear. Even the US market MK6 Jetta had rear drums on anything below SEL until 2013.

I like. Based on the latest 9-5 Saab I presume? (I drove that one)

Negative. This is based on the CD3 (1st gen Mazda 6/previous gen Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan) platform as Lincoln's a Ford brand.

The Epsilon II platform that the 9-5 used underpins Buick Lacrosse which is MKZ's competitor from GM.

Last edited:

:nod: the n/a 1.0 up!/etc. models come with drums in the rear, as well as the n/a 1.2 Polos (55/70hp). Anything above is four discs, for example every Golf or Jetta.

Last edited:
It's basically the same engine in the FIAT 500 Abarth, but from my understanding they turn the turbos all the way up to 11...

Fiat Bravo 1.4 Multiair Turbo. It kicked ass regarding power delivery, really minute lag. If any.

I believe the configuration it has in the Dart is the most powerful (at least in torque). Other FIAT cars with this engine produce about the same horsepower (160), but less torque.

Wondering if the difference in engine configuration is the problem, because in the Dart the turbo lag is noticeable... :dunno:

I believe the configuration it has in the Dart is the most powerful (at least in torque). Other FIAT cars with this engine produce about the same horsepower (160), but less torque.

Wondering if the difference in engine configuration is the problem, because in the Dart the turbo lag is noticeable... :dunno:

If peak power is the same but peak torque is higher it has more low-down pull. The higher torque can't be at the top of the rev range, because the peak power would then be higher.

Both of my cars came with 4x discs stock back in the late 80's. "Prices starting with" models seem to have drums even today.

Yes, even today a number of cars, usually entry-level models, still have discs up front and drums at the back as standard with an option for discs all around. My Ford Focus is an example; rear disc brakes come with the optional sport package...

Speaking of the Focus, I've been looking to test drive the ST for a little while now. Might also take the opportunity to test drive the new Fusion (though he probably won't buy it for a while, my dad has been considering buying one to replace his Camry)...

Yes, even today a number of cars, usually entry-level models, still have discs up front and drums at the back as standard with an option for discs all around. My Ford Focus is an example; rear disc brakes come with the optional sport package...

Must be a US market thing, you cannot get a new Focus with rear drums over here.

Must be a US market thing, you cannot get a new Focus with rear drums over here.

It's all about keeping costs down...there's still a lot of people who won't or can't due to family size, needs, etc. consider a B segment car like a Fiesta or Sonic, but still need a low price point. Being able to advertise a "under 15k" price..something's gotta give.

It's all about keeping costs down...there's still a lot of people who won't or can't due to family size, needs, etc. consider a B segment car like a Fiesta or Sonic, but still need a low price point. Being able to advertise a "under 15k" price..something's gotta give.

I'd dump the keyless entry in return for disc brakes while maintaining the 16.2k entry price easily.
I'd also not have a problem with dumping the 160hp 2.0 in return for a cheaper engine, but I presume that's a no-no in the market.

Last edited:
I'd like to contribute my own personal car review. I'll be concise.

Earlier this summer, my dad purchased one of his dream cars, a 2006 BMW M5 (yes, the V10). My experience with it has mostly been as a passenger, and that has been a positive experience. The interior is very comfortable and very well done no matter where you sit. No surprise there. I did recently get to take a crack at driving it, though, and I did so with pleasure. The steering is light but responsive. The ride is very smooth yet flat through the turns. The transmission, a manual with flappy paddles, is odd but not impossible to get used it. Its gear changes can be rough but feathering the throttle in the right way makes the changes smooth.

Most important is the engine. When you put your foot down.... holy shit. It's like taking off in a plane but so much faster. You and your seat become one. The noise the car makes is astonishing with a high pitched note as it revs up to 8k RPM combined with the bellowing of all 5 liters of that V10. Put the power on and everyone within a mile will start looking around to find what's making that noise.

I've been around a lot of amazing cars at track events and club gatherings, but short of supercars, that M5 is the most exciting road car I've ever experienced.

I'd dump the keyless entry in return for disc brakes while maintaining the 16.2k entry price easily.
I'd also not have a problem with dumping the 160hp 2.0 in return for a cheaper engine, but I presume that's a no-no in the market.

Actually Nissan's done the latter with the versa and VW with Jetta. Versa now has a 1.6 liter engine only, and 2012+ Jetta Base and S trims come with the ancient 2.0L 115 horsepower engine.

Both cars sell very well, admittedly more Jetta's I see have the 2.5 badge on the back but there's definitely Base and S trim cars around.

Last edited:
Most important is the engine. When you put your foot down.... holy shit. It's like taking off in a plane but so much faster. You and your seat become one. The noise the car makes is astonishing with a high pitched note as it revs up to 8k RPM combined with the bellowing of all 5 liters of that V10. Put the power on and everyone within a mile will start looking around to find what's making that noise.

At 1:40, the magic happens. Combine the music with the engine note... Jizz everywhere.

It's the new 500 Turbo that has 130 HP, the Abarth has 160 like the Dart.

...oops, now I realize why the numbers are wrong. The 130HP configuration was for the Abarth 500 from years earlier. The 160HP is for the Esseesse package which I think has been made standard now (at least here in the States).