Our "own" car reviews

Did you test the capacitive door handle while wearing gloves? In my case at least, they work fine with both pairs of gloves I own.
As for the brake, it makes a lot of sense to make the push-button start a bit more toddler-proof... though I've seen regular-key automatics (and even some manuals) that require pressing the brake pedal to start, so I'm a bit surprised about your surprise :p

I did not, I have some thick gloves I can test with tomorrow as it'll be fairly cold out.

As for the push button start, I knew going in that one is required to hit the brake before starting, but until you actually use it it's different lol. It doesn't help that my current car was apparently not required to have a clutch safety switch - I can start it without a foot on the clutch or brake pedal.

It was required to have a neutral safety switch, it is just real easy to bypass when it does go bad, or for other reasons.

It was required to have a neutral safety switch, it is just real easy to bypass when it does go bad, or for other reasons.

Interesting. I wonder why my state inspection didn't notice this. The reverse lights do work. Oh well. lol

Peugeot 3008 1.6 Diesel POS.
Rental roulette failure.

IT CAN DO THIS

[video=youtube;x-VH-fxxPqk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-VH-fxxPqk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Speed? Hilarious. Can't hold 170km/h uphills.
Room? OK. Side armrest too short for people who need seat all the way back.
Entertainment? OK.
Nav? 2001 called.
Outside looks? YUCK.
Trunk? Decent size. Need to lift stuff over two-piece bootlid.

Peugeot_3008_Crossover_available_on_Passport1.jpg

"A car by people who can't build cars for people who don't really want a car

Peugeot 3008 1.6 Diesel POS.
Rental roulette failure.

IT CAN DO THIS

[video=youtube;x-VH-fxxPqk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-VH-fxxPqk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Speed? Hilarious. Can't hold 170km/h uphills.
Room? OK. Side armrest too short for people who need seat all the way back.
Entertainment? OK.
Nav? 2001 called.
Outside looks? YUCK.
Trunk? Decent size. Need to lift stuff over two-piece bootlid.

Peugeot_3008_Crossover_available_on_Passport1.jpg

"A car by people who can't build cars for people who don't really want a car

What song was that?

I had that car as a rental in Ireland a few years back, same engine even... Probably was the heaviest hatch I've ever seen. In 1.6 diesel guise it weighs about as much as my Eos :eek:

Even worse: I tried a burnout today. Software limits revs in neutral to 2500. WHAT THE FUCK.

@rick: Ratatat, either Cream on Chrome or Nightclub Amnesia, can't remember

Even worse: I tried a burnout today. Software limits revs in neutral to 2500. WHAT THE FUCK.

@rick: Ratatat, either Cream on Chrome or Nightclub Amnesia, can't remember

Gotta preserve that "overtaxed by it's heavy weight" transmission dontcha know? :p

And thanks! I thought it sounded familiar, having listened to some Ratatat, but I couldn't put a finger on it...

I had a holiday in Queensland and I rented a car.

Well, when I say I rented it, my girlfriend booked it. I was filled with dread, because I knew she, not being a car person, would have just picked the least expensive one and called it a day. Thankfully, she didn't. "I went with the second cheapest because it said it had back doors". When I looked at the receipt, my fears were founded. "Nissan Almera or similar". The Almera is a shocking car that, in my mind, has no redeeming features. It's the car that you might know in the States as a Nissan Versa, a hideously-proportioned Micra with a boot designed for the Chinese-market. And in Australia, it was bought exclusively by rental agencies who could charge extra for it because it was a 'sedan', even though it's actually a baboon's arse.

Anyway, when we were shuttled from the airport to the rental office, I was hoping to god for an Or Similar. Some paperwork and credit cards exchanged later, and, well, the lord did provide.

It was a Hyundai i20 five-door. Now, normally in this situation I'd be a bit irritated at getting a car that is smaller than what I booked. The Almera is a bit bigger than the i20, and can fit more stuff in it, and I wouldn't typically class an i20 as 'similar'. But given that there were a few Almeras sitting out on the forecourt rearing their ugly arse at me, I thought it best to just leave while I was ahead.

The i20 is Hyundai's crack at the massive supermini market, apart from the slightly bigger and less popular Accent which they confusingly sell alongside this. It was a replacement for the highly popular Getz, but it never really enjoyed the same success. Well, I thought it didn't, because I never really noticed them on the roads before. In Queensland, every second car on the road is a Hyundai, and every second one of those appeared to be an i20. It's a 2008 design that was facelifted a couple of years ago, and it's about to be replaced. It's not a bad looking car, its got enough creases and curves to keep it relatively modern, but in white base model rental spec, it's not exactly exciting. It don't think it has aged as well as its twin under the skin, the Kia Rio.

Inside is a similar story. It's not a 2015 place to sit, but it works. Even this base model came with some brightwork to liven up the dash and steering wheel. That steering wheel is reach and height adjustable, which is great, and the seat was comfortable and supportive. Apart from the slightly dated design, the only let down was the amount of hard plastic around, particularly on the door trims.

The cost cutting has to come in somewhere, I suppose. The i20 can be had for around the $14,000 mark, and they don't skimp on equipment. It's got air con, electric windows and mirrors with neat electric folding for a party trick, a comprehensive trip computer, bluetooth, and the full safety suite of airbags and electronic stability control.

Power is delivered courtesy of a revvy little 1.4, via a notchy six-speed manual. It's not fast, but it was a zippy thing to drive in traffic. A short first and second gear made it feel very peppy at low speeds, but trying to hustle it up to 100 wasn't the quickest affair. Once you're moving, however, it had enough grunt to keep up with motorway traffic in sixth gear with a full load of four adults inside.

Around the city, the car was really impressive. Comfortable and easy to drive, with enough power for the daily grind, and easy to park thanks to its petite dimensions. What I didn't expect as much was for that impressiveness to continue when the roads got twistier.

One day we headed up into the Gold Coast hinterland, which involves a few roads you could describe as 'driving roads'. Now, it might have been because it was a rental and I wasn't afraid to give the little Indian Korean a thrashing, but it was actually a fun car to drive. The steering was progressive and the handling predictable, the economy Kumhos threatening with understeery squeal when pushed. Keeping the car in second around the twisties kept the power on the boil, with the engine happy to rev out past 6000. It's a light car, and that's no doubt a big help to the i20's dynamism. Hyundai make a lot of noise about how they locally tune the suspension setups on their Australian-delivered models, and with a firm yet compliant ride and decent road holding, it was better than a $14k hatchback has a right to be.

So, would I buy one?

If I needed something small, cheap and new that promised a long life of minimum fuss motoring, it's certainly a good option. But I don't think I would. The Kia Rio is the same car underneath, but a little bit cheaper, a little bit better equipped again, it has two more years of warranty, and in my opinion, it's better looking. If it drives as well as the little Hyundai, it'd be a winner in my mind.

To sum up, better than it should have been. Good work, Hyundai.

Last edited:
I have a large chunck of Swedish metal for a couple of days.... Will review later

75f025b83f8ce1f9c31bcb654b0fe9d7.jpg

I have a large chunck of Swedish metal for a couple of days.... Will review later

:wub: *insert heavy breathing cat here*

Careful. That's an actual car compared to what you normally putter around in. :p

Last edited:
It is quite large, yes. But it also (literally) drives itself so it's a lot less involving...
Will do some more miles before I decide what I think.

"A lot less involving" is another way to say more comfort, more toys, more lazy power and less road noise. :dunno:

It is ridiculously quiet, i can hear my watch tick...and it is supremely comfortable... Dunno what to say really

I saw a picture of an US spec one recently and realized they actually make them with oldskool halogen headlights as well. The "thor's hammer" is missing, it's easy to tell.

Who in their right mind would buy one of those without the LEDs?

I saw a picture of an US spec one recently and realized they actually make them with oldskool halogen headlights as well. The "thor's hammer" is missing, it's easy to tell.

Who in their right mind would buy one of those without the LEDs?
Yeah, that box would definitely have to be ticked.
Hah, I was at work and didn't feel like searching for it and figuring out who'd host my image (imgur is blocked, because school)

In neutral, or in gear with the clutch down? I've experienced the latter in many cars.