Overcrowded lectures at my University

Overcrowded lectures at my University

• Get your lazy ass to the University !

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Play LFS/browse the web for the rest of the day !

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

swek

Retired Moderator
Car(s)
Had a bicycle once.
I am so pissed. The new semester started yesterday and I had a lecture today at 8.30 o'clock. I got up, did my usual morning routine and headed for my bus. I should have known that this isn't my day when I waited 20 mins for my bus, which usually comes in 3 mins intervals.
After I've finally reached the University, people where standing outside the lecture hall because it was so damn crowded. I didn't feel like standing for 1 1/2 hours so I went back home.

Since we have a lot of students on this board, I'm curious if this happens at your University too ?

Plus I've added a little poll for the fun of it.

Duh LFS > School

We have overcrowded lectures sometimes, the teachers don't like us to sit on the tables so that's a good reason for me to do so.

i have a week holiday from vocational school, because i have high school and vocational school in the same.
in the high school i have "written examination for higher certificate" now, but i have done all i must have done in spring, so they gave me a week holiday.
then the vocational school continues.

A lot of times the start of a new semester is crowded etc, but as things progress....the crowds tend to dissipate. Maybe things will cool down a bit

I'm certain that the crowd will vanish and I'm rather mad a t the bus company who managed to turn a 10 min trip into 35 minutes. Causing me not to get a seat. :thumbsdown:

edit: just checked the result. slacking it is !.

My lectures usually arn't too bad, the only problem is that there are 5 lecture theatres that empty into one small area, so there's often a bit of a crush there.

Most of the time Lectures are regurgitated from books. What you should concentrate on is the labs, assignments, tests, exams, and so on. I've missed lectures before and it's no big deal. If it is overcrowded, fuck it. I never ran into that situation like that though. I voluntarily skipped out on lectures since you can read the book and know what happened in the lectures. Plus all of our lectures were online to download.

Take it easy :)

I don't do that. It doesn't hurt to attend lectures and to write the material down before you hit the books. I think it saves you time in the end, since you don't have to start from scrach each time.

we never have overcrowded lectures here. there are several lecture halls and according to the number of students enrolled for the course (hence expected to be present at lectures) they chose which hall to use. lectures are not compulsory, and in some courses i dont even have lectures at all. usually i dont go to lectures, cos they are no value added for me, and i can download the lecture slides from the uni site, so i dont really miss a lot.

I never have had a problem with overcrowded lectures here either. There are some where students have to sit in crappy desk chairs instead of crappy lecture hall style chairs, but they usually only allow the max number of seats in the room in to the class. I would wait a couple of days and see what happens to class size. Usually my classes for the first week are twice as large as they are for the remainder of the semester (right now I am almost to the end of the semester and since the weather has gotten nice, the classes are even more empty).

I've been on strike for about a week now... :eek:

I should be doing some HW's and term papers but er... yeah. right... :?

even worse than overcrowded lectures is undercrowded lectures

normally we should be with 40, but sometimes hardly 4 people are there, no way entering when that's the case :bangin:

last year i had an average of going 10 hours a week, of which half resulted in hanging around with friends and smoking joints (we had a HUGE tent to smoke)
mostly, i just stayed home, but learned it all by myself
smoke a joint, take a book, and start reading and aligning what's important :)

(and if i went, it were mostly the first hours, but then gave up each time)

bone said:
mostly, i just stayed home, but learned it all by myself
smoke a joint, take a book, and start reading and aligning what's important :)

(and if i went, it were mostly the first hours, but then gave up each time)
same here...
i just download slides from lectures, download exam questions of previous classes, smoke a fat one and learn what is needed :p

Here at York University I'm always ending up in 500+ student classes. York has the most boring lecturers. It's a pain to go to class everyday.

BTW, university in Europe is free (or ridiculously cheap), right?

Renesis said:
I've been on strike for about a week now... :eek:

I should be doing some HW's and term papers but er... yeah. right... :?
What is your university on strike for?

I'm at a Cegep but just look, you should find it in the news or something, pretty much all the province's Cegeps and universities are or have been on strike, because the provincial government took off $103M of fundings to students to put it in loads for students..

now they gave us a proposition but those damn hippies still aren't happy :roll: :x :thumbsdown:

The problem with trying to skip class the first day at my University is that you can get kicked out for it. They usually take roll the first and last days of class. If your not on the list the first day, they assume your not coming. Kind of interesting I find.

Don't skip class all the time like I did and fail you classes. :(