Overheard in the office

Eh...it could be as simple as her brain not comprehending the specific "returning her call" phrase, and hearing (just out of habit) something along the lines of "Is she available?"

I realise that. I deal with robotic receptionists all the time. When I am training new people one of the first things I teach them is to avoid phrases that will provoke the pre-programmed response and instead force the person at the other end of the phone to think. I liken it to a computer that is given a task to do which draws processing power away from other tasks and slows the whole thing down.

"Oh my god, did you try them?" When showing a photoshopped image of a bag of "Toothpaste and orange juice" flavored Lay's potato chips.

This weekend, the system we use to fill in what hours were spent with which client was updated. I'm sitting in a room with fellow techies, responses were in the vein of "This looks a lot like the helpdesk software" and "Oh, look, a button, what does it do?" The sounds emerging from the room containing account management were a mixture of blind panic, screams, and rage. I overheard phrases like "Why didn't they do a session to show us how this works?" "Why is everything so different" etc.

Bump...

Not from the office but from Junior Menace last night. He's turning into a right comedian - can't imagine where he gets it from. :wicked:

"Marmite is the taste equivalent of smothering your nut sack with toothpaste then inviting Ronaldo to aim a free kick at your crotch."

Wtf! ?

Having his voice play in my head when he says it makes it that much better.

Last edited:
Like anyone with a cell phone, Junior gets random cold calls from companies who have no idea they are calling a schoolkid whose only source of income is his newspaper round. He recently revealed his strategy.

Caller: Hi, my name is Natalie and I'm calling about the accident you had (to see if we can sign you up and take 75% of any compensation our lawyers secure from the other party).
Junior: Thanks for calling. I'm a horny 15 year old virgin who rides a bicycle. What colour underwear do you have on?

...Beeeeeep.

Apparently it's even more amusing if the caller is male.

HWF 3.0 just now...

“I can’t reach the dangly thing to get it off properly.”

In context it made sense, but on its own.... :LOL:

Working in vehicle salvage we have to confirm licence plate numbers with customers. As you can imagine not everyone is familiar with the correct phonetic alphabet, so often it's "Y for Yellow" rather than Yankee or "F for Freddy" instead of Foxtrot.

But one Indian chap last week forced me to make my excuses to put him on hold so I didn't laugh down the phone at him.

"X for Christmas"....

Working in vehicle salvage we have to confirm licence plate numbers with customers. As you can imagine not everyone is familiar with the correct phonetic alphabet, so often it's "Y for Yellow" rather than Yankee or "F for Freddy" instead of Foxtrot.

But one Indian chap last week forced me to make my excuses to put him on hold so I didn't laugh down the phone at him.

"X for Christmas"....

I have used that myself to annoy people I worked with. I would say it as X-Mas though, not Christmas.

Some former military types have no sense of humor.

From a colleague today, somewhat NSFW. Fairly sure he was joking but it did crack me up.

Rimming a girl who has just had a bath is as pointless as drinking decaffeinated coffee.