Overheating?

Learn to do your own wrenching.
Yep. Fullsize GM trucks are probably the easiest sort of vehicles to work on, and maybe the cheapest too. You only have to drain the coolant and pull 2 bolts to remove that thermostat. Brake work is cake and even the wheel bearing isn't terrible, if time consuming.

Well, I went with my father to the shop and dropped the car of to get inspected... They called with an estimate: $1200!? He said something on the top of the engine was broken, I wasn't really paying attention to what he said because I was still in shock from the ludicrous price. I'm using my parent's Highlander as of now, and we're thinking of just junking the car.

It could be that you already cracked your head (of the engine, dunno about the one on your neck). The price sounds about right for that.

I think that may have been it... And I'm about to have a large crack on the one on my neck <_< (from the stress of wasting so much money on that hunk-a-junk!)

Well, you should have stopped driving the car when it started overheating. Continuing to drive when the cooling system isn't working properly can and often will result in very expensive repairs.

Sounds like a cracked head, headgasket, or manifold. It could be worse - overheating a Jag V12 at ALL will result in the valve seats dropping; automatic engine rebuild or replacement.

TBH, If you'v been driving it about when its been off the chart then it would have all ready shagged the Head Gasket. Best thing to do would be to get a sniffer tool, Or Check under the oil cap for any white gunk (cant find a pic sorry) and the rad cap for anythinglike this :

56243_KIF_1014_2.jpg

If you find this then its a gasket replacment, Head of job, If its just a falty gauge, Then it you wont find any of this ;), All though, It sounds as if its fecked

Last edited:
One part of the cooling system that I haven't seen mentioned yet is the water pump. I suppose if that broke it could prevent the coolant from circulating properly and overheating when it shouldn't. It turns out the water pump on my Disco is in the middle of a slow and painful death. Maybe that's why it hates me when I take it off road? :lol: The new part should be in soon and all will be well. Changing a water pump...how hard could it be?