P2216 NOx Sensor Circuit High Input

SchumacherM

Car(s)
Fiat Stilo 1.8 16V
A Golf 5 FSI threw this code and message with the engine light. Runs the same, burns fuel the same.

My curiosity is great and Google is vague on wether this is a lambda or an "NOx sensor". I hate these german things, so not very familiar with them. Is this just a stupid ecological gimmick, like an after-cat lambda?

A Golf 5 FSI threw this code and message with the engine light. Runs the same, burns fuel the same.

My curiosity is great and Google is vague on wether this is a lambda or an "NOx sensor". I hate these german things, so not very familiar with them. Is this just a stupid ecological gimmick, like an after-cat lambda?

It's a real thing - it's in the OBD-II standard. Toyotas and BMWs will roll these codes occasionally as well. This is a relatively new sensor - it looks like a lambda sensor but it senses oxides of nitrogen in the exhaust as opposed to the oxygen level of the combustion gases. Sometimes they are combined with the lambda/oxygen sensor now.

They're usually found actually mounted to the body of the catalytic converter instead of ahead or behind it. They're used to control catalyst regen in recent cars.

So...it's just mostly the same crap as a lambda, it's even in roughly the same area as the lambda. So I was acually correct to point him to those two. Without knowing it. :D

Just for my very own curiosity, why would it give such an error when there is no drop of performance or lower MPG? Is it just being German and wants attention, having money spent on it?

Just for my very own curiosity, why would it give such an error when there is no drop of performance or lower MPG? Is it just being German and wants attention, having money spent on it?
As Spectre pointed out, the sensor data controls the catalyst regeneration - thus not fixing it may or may not negatively effect the cat's lifetime. If that's worth it or not is up to you.

Additionally, as the sensor is related to the cat, it may classify as part of the emission control system. At least some parts of the US require a check engine light if any part of the emission control system fails.

If earlier cars could do without it just fine and didn't require a new cat like a new air filter, I'd say it's just the greenies sticking their nose in. Just like I find after cat lambdas tedious and useless...

Okay guys, very grateful. The car will go to a proper mechanic (it was meant to go anyway). The owner just wanted to know first hand what was wrong, so he'd know if the shop will do an honest job or just tell him "it's all fucked, borkbork, get a new engine".

Thanks. :)