• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Painless CR2 conversion? (Problem now solved)

monkeymax

Car(s)
Toyota MR2 Mk1, Toyota MR2 Mk1 SC, Peugeot 309
I don't know if this is the right section for this question. I know the technology section would be more appropriate, but seeing as the right people (i.e. people who have Canon DSLRs) frequent this section, this seemed like a good place for it.

Basically, while I was away I borrowed my Dad's 350D to take some photos. As RAW is the highest quality, we used that when we could. I'm now trying to convert some of them to JPEG so that I can view them easier, but the software bundled with the camera (ZoomBrowser EX) is cumbersome, slow and has a bad interface. Did I mention slow? Plus it creates those bloody thumbnail files everywhere.

I'd like to know, is there an alternative conversion software I can use? Preferably one I don't have to pay for (a Google search only brings up limited shareware, and I've got more than a hundred of these to convert, but don't have the camera myself). I tried ACDSee but that can't handle CR2s. The only other program I tried (a demo of shareware) got the colours all wrong during conversion.

Or, do I have to put up with ZoomBrowser?!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

------------------------------------

Edit: The problem has now been solved by using IrfanView.

the most painless RAW management...

shoot in high quality jpeg.

:p

i've never shot in anything besides normal quality large jpeg.

ever.

whoster said:
shoot in high quality jpeg.

i've never shot in anything besides normal quality large jpeg.

ever.

Hmmm...

Dear Sir,
I find your solution to be an insufficient solution to my problem. Although a majority of my photos were taken in High Quality JPEG, a number of them were taken in RAW as the difference in quality was (and is) unknown. Now I need to convert them to a useable format without using the crap piece of software created by Canon. This is the area where I need help, and I did not intend for this thread to become a discussion of the benefits of one format over another.

Yours Sincerely,
Disgruntled ZoomBrowser EX User

--------------------------

:p

As I don't go to Egypt very often, (well, never) I wanted to make sure I got the best photos I could and didn't miss out on anything. So when we first we going around (and I had lots of memory and a computer I could use to transfer the images off the camera) I shot in RAW mode, as it is apparently a higher quality mode. Later on, when I was more restricted for memory - particularly as I had no access to a computer to backup the photos - I shot exclusively in JPEG. And now this is the problem as I want to convert the photos from the RAW CR2 format back to JPEG. I know that JPEG would've been more convenient, but went for quality over convenience.

Stupid me.

My Zoombrowser doesn't recognize Canons own CR2 format :lol: Way to go Canon!

I use Photoshop CS2 to convert the RAW shots, it's quite nice, you should give it a go.

And to Whoster: If you don't have time to set whitebalances, you can just shoot in RAW and change that later. I found this particularly useful when shooting snowy scenarios at night-time.. Quite difficult to set your custom whitebalances with the conditions I was in! :)

Skoshi said:
My Zoombrowser doesn't recognize Canons own CR2 format :lol: Way to go Canon!

I use Photoshop CS2 to convert the RAW shots, it's quite nice, you should give it a go.

And to Whoster: If you don't have time to set whitebalances, you can just shoot in RAW and change that later. I found this particularly useful when shooting snowy scenarios at night-time.. Quite difficult to set your custom whitebalances with the conditions I was in! :)

Shows you how pants ZoomBrowser is, eh?

Already tried that Photoshop. Apparently CS2 cannot open any of the files as "it's not the right kind of document."

I kid you not:
baddoc.gif

Thanks for the suggestion though.

i would imagine cs2 can handle raw formats... well i guess not. how big are these raw files?

They are around the 7 to 8 Megabyte Mark.

Don't worry, I guess I'll just have to stick to Canon's software. :(
(It does convert them, just slowly and requires a lot of different button presses for each image)

I use photoshop too. Though, I rarely shoot in RAW unless it's a special shot, just takes to much time for my likings.

And btw, you loose that extra quality when converting to JPEG anyways.

Well, I managed to solve my own problem. I wasn't able to get the RAW converter plugin for PS (something to do with me only using a demo version of PS at the mo) but I found that the graphics software 'IrfanView' Not only views and converts the CR2 files, but can also do a batch conversion. Better still, it does the conversion very quickly. It is much better than Canon's software if you're happy with the camera's settings for the image, as there is no tweaking capability as far as I've found so far.

Still, problem solved. Thanks anyway for everyone's suggestions!

monkeymax said:
Well, I managed to solve my own problem. I wasn't able to get the RAW converter plugin for PS (something to do with me only using a demo version of PS at the mo) but I found that the graphics software 'IrfanView' Not only views and converts the CR2 files, but can also do a batch conversion. Better still, it does the conversion very quickly. It is much better than Canon's software if you're happy with the camera's settings for the image, as there is no tweaking capability as far as I've found so far.

Still, problem solved. Thanks anyway for everyone's suggestions!

Glad you found a solution however this is not your best solution. Use the updated adobe raw engine for Photoshop cs2. Why because then you can adjust things that Infranview doesnt allow such as white balance, exposure, shadows, DPI, Colorspace and so on. These are really the main benifit of using RAW. If you cant come up with PS CS2 Try Googles Picasa it will read raw files its easy simple to use and does a decent job, and its free. I personally use PSCS2 but Picasa is great for the price.