Palestinian statehood, to early, or about time?

nomix

True Viking
Car(s)
Tend do walk the 40 meters from my bed to lecture.
Round about now, diplomats from the different camps are putting pressure on Israel and Palestinian leadership. The quartet is probably telling Israel to concede something, and telling Abbas to stop going to quickly. Israel say a push for Palestinian statehood will have "grave concequences, among other things, their Foreign Ministry says this push will mean the Oslo accords are dead to them. The US is saying much of the same, but with more diplomatic language.

What's up? For some time, negotiation between Israel and their Palestinian counterparts in Ramallah has been interrupted. The Palestinian side will not rejoin the negotiations before Israel seise settlement building on what they refer to as the "occupied West Bank", Israel believes settlements will have to resolved at the negotiation table. The beginnings of a reconciliation between Fatah and Hamas hasn't made Israel's position on this any more lenient, if anything, it's complicated the issue.

Israel on its side is seeing growing tension from neighbors and former allies. The Arab spring has left Israel's South flank naked, with Hosni Mubarak ousted from power in Egypt. Growing instability in Jordan also plays a part, especially over a rather contentius issue over the queen, Ranja, who is Palestinian. Another headache for Israel is Syria, which is poised on the brink of civil war, further risking instability. To the North, a long time friendly ally of Israel, Turkey, has reduced diplomatic relations with her - the freezing of an important pipeline deal is but one concequence of this. Relations between the once close allies has reached a level where Recep Erdogan, the Prime Minister of Turkey has called it "a moral imperative" to support statehood for the Palestinians. In Turkey's case, the catalyst is undoubtedly the contested killings of Turkish citizens on the Aid Flotilla attempting to reach Gaza last year.

It's safe to say that no one in Israel would have expected this geopolitical situation just one year ago. While the flotilla situation was a grave and made diplomatic relations between Israel and her arab neighbors, Turkey in particular, sour, a situation like this would hardly be expected.

These days, the Palestinian government in Ramallah is planning a bid for statehood at the UN. There are two options presenting themselves:

1. Apply for full recognition by the UN, as a member state

2. Apply for observing member nation status

The first option is tempting, and in the UN General Assembly, there is little doubt the Palestinian bid would win favor. Head counts indicate that 130-140 of 193 member states supports the bid. The issue with the first option is of course that a full member state status must be ratified by the UN Security Council, not just the UNGA. The US is crystal clear that they will oppose Palestinian statehood at this stage, and will therefore use their veto, other veto nations may also choose to veto the bid.

The second option is more appealing from a practical standpoint. First of all, it doesn't depend on SC ratification, and will therefore be possible to obtain. This has several obvious advantages, one of which is that the US won't have to veto it, thereby helping to keep what faith the Arab world still has with the US. Another point is that it is obtainable, but will offer some extra chips to the Palestinian government. They can for instance go to the international war tribunal and sue Israel over settlement building, something they can't do now, due to not being a member state or an observing member state. Some sources indicate that the Palestinian government will obstain from playing that card for now, keeping it for later.

-----
Opinions
-----

Anyhow, what will this mean? In the short term, it'll mean jack shit. In the long term, it might make a little difference. One point that can't be overlooked, is that the diplomatic strategy of the Netanyahu regime of stalling on negotiations to have as large a part of the occupied West Bank settled before any agreement is realized, has failed. Israel is more isolated than ever because of that strategy, and Netanyahu has met one of his greatest failiures ever. His strategy was bonkers from day one, dangerous and stupid. And it shows quite clearly now.

I don't know if I'm really in favor of statehood at this pace. On one hand, I think it's only right and proper for Israel to get a proper diplomatic spanking. Israel needs to learn that stalling won't help them in the long run, it'll hurt them. The condition that further illegal building on the West Bank be stopped before negtiations is a decent demand, and I do support that one. So Netanyahu needs this blow to the groin, more to the point, Israel needs to learn that while there are some nations that'll help her stay a spoilt child, there are great forces in the world that doesn't share that opinion.

For too long, Israel has been an obese child, and daddy America has been buying too many Happy Meals. That's not being a good dad, that's being a lousy dad.

However, I'm still not convinced. The notion that statehood will have any real concequences on the ground in Palestine without an agreement with Israel is bonkers. It won't. Israel still has the ability to reinstate the occupation of the Palestinian territories, and as long as that's a viable option, that's enough said. It won't make Palestine a state any more than it will remove the settlements. Another important point is of course that the needed agreement with Hamas is nowhere near complete, and while I think Hamas is a bunch of murderous, ignorant, stupid and religiously extreme bastards, there's no doubt they'll have to be a part of the sollution. Giving Hamas time to moderate itself will take time, possibly years. It will also mean saying 'no' to lucrative monetary support from nations such as Saudi Arabia and Iran. It's doable, but difficult.

What speaks in favor of statehood? Two wards, Salam Fayyad. While earlier Palestinian leaders have been so-and-so (Arafat was a crazy, corrupt drunk, and is probably only really worth being a symbol, not a leading light to follow), the current administration has shown great promise. While Mahmoud Abbas isn't exactly perfect, he's not a bad potato, and his government, lead by Prime Minister Salam Fayyad has shown itself to be competent, free of corruption and quite democratic. Even the IDF agrees that the Fatah Security Forces under the President and Prime Minister are better at stopping terrorist attacks on Israel and settlements than the IDF itself, and that's saying a lot.

What really differs Palestinian politics and society from the last time there was a breakthrough (the Oslo accords) is that time and money has been spent on building an efficiant and functioning nation state. It's done wisely, not over night, but step by step by people who believe in what they're doing, and who know what they're doing. The Palestinian state as an entity has never been more ready than just now.

Conclusion? A rushed bid for statehood won't do much, but it will severly embarras Israel and her closest ally. Israel has stalled for a long time, and the Palestinian regime in Ramallah is tired of it.

No one is winning, but one party will stand alone, food well planted in a big dog turd. Come on Netanyahu, grow up.

Its a terrible idea at this time. Once a state, if a "Palestinian" launches a rocket at Israel then it will be interpreted as an declaration of war and Israel will be free to fuck them up in ways that only a legitimate war between two states allows them to do.

This will backfire and they will have only themselves to blame for being impatient, a desk on the main floor at the UN in New York is not worth the problems which will inevitably arise from it at this point in time.

Last edited:
Its a terrible idea at this time. Once a state, if a "Palestinian" launches a rocket at Israel then it will be interpreted as an declaration of war and Israel will be free to fuck them up in ways that only a legitimate war between two states allows them to do.
Then tell me: Why are Israel and the US opposed to the idea? Following the logic of your argument, Palestine being a recognized state is the best that can happen to Israel.
Oh yeah, perhaps because following the same logic, Israel sending its own citizens protected by armed forces to settle on Palestinian soil could be called an act of war, which makes Israel the aggressor.

Honestly, if I had the power to decide these things this would be Israel:

http://img38.imageshack.**/img38/3066/1967ceasefirelines.jpg

Even with all the crap they have pulled over the decades I still trust Israel infinitely more than I trust any other power in the region.

Then tell me: Why are Israel and the US opposed to the idea? Following the logic of your argument, Palestine being a recognized state is the best that can happen to Israel.

Israel doesn't like being seen as the aggressor unless they are provoked, it ruins their "we small number of jews surrounded by hundreds of millions of muslims who want us exterminated" defence. They would rather let other states put themselves into bad positions, than force them into it.

The US doesn't know what it wants to be in the relationship, on one hand they are increasingly pissed off at Israel's actions and on the other they know that for the last 60 years Israel has been like a little US enclave in the middle east. They seem to be opposing things on their actual merit these days instead of having a overall policy of only following either Israel or Palestine's lead.

Oh yeah, perhaps because following the same logic, Israel sending its own citizens protected by armed forces to settle on Palestinian soil could be called an act of war, which makes Israel the aggressor.

For that the borders would have to be defined and getting a seat at the UN doesn't do that. It is an entirely different issue.

Last edited:
Anyhow, what will this mean? In the short term, it'll mean jack shit. In the long term, it might make a little difference. One point that can't be overlooked, is that the diplomatic strategy of the Netanyahu regime of stalling on negotiations to have as large a part of the occupied West Bank settled before any agreement is realized, has failed. Israel is more isolated than ever because of that strategy, and Netanyahu has met one of his greatest failiures ever. His strategy was bonkers from day one, dangerous and stupid. And it shows quite clearly now.

I'm not the biggest fan of Thomas Friedman, but he wrote a great op/ed the other day

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/o...rift-at-sea-alone.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

The Palestinians really have no other choice but to push for statehood through the UN. Israel won't even freeze settlement construction, so what kind of peace process could ever take place? The Palestinians have jumped through all the hurdles (stop the bombings, hold elections etc). If this bid fails and the settlement construction continues, then the Palestinians should seriously consider suicide bombings again.

Well, statehood for Palestine is overdue about 60 years now.
That's true, but also a complex truth. However, the question is wether or not we can afford to do it half arsed a second time in 17 years.

This will backfire and they will have only themselves to blame for being impatient, a desk on the main floor at the UN in New York is not worth the problems which will inevitably arise from it at this point in time.
It might. They keep a pretty tight shift on the West Bank, the issue is Gaza. I suppose it won't have to be a casus belli unless the attacks are directed or supported by a Palestinian government. If the purpetraitors are apprehended and punished for their acts, they're just criminals. But it is a valid point and a proper risk.

As a nation state, Palestine will be able to maintain alliances, though. Turkey might want that honor..

They're opposed to the idea on several fronts. Obama can't afford to strong arm Israel. Obama needs to show his own voters that he doesn't "hurt" Israel, it's just not a vote vinner for any American politician.

Israel's opposed because it will lend legitimacy to the Palestinian government, far greater legitimacy than ever before. And obviously, it sends a message that their counterpart can act without Israel. It makes Israel look very naughty, and it tells the world that Israels view on the peace process doesn't really matter that much. According to the HBO series John Adams, Ben Franklin once said "don't insult a man in public, tell him in private, he might even thank you for it. You do it in public, they tend to think you're serious". It's about losing face, and Israel's a proud nation in many ways.

In short: It would be a serious blow to the nation's Ego.

The fact that a free, prosperous and independent sovreign Palestinian state is the only bloody assurance Israel can ever get for long term stability and peace, is of course, irrelevant to Israel and the US voters.

Honestly, if I had the power to decide these things this would be Israel:

http://img38.imageshack.**/img38/3066/1967ceasefirelines.jpg

Even with all the crap they have pulled over the decades I still trust Israel infinitely more than I trust any other power in the region.
Honestly, if I had the power to decide, this would be reality:

West Bank & Gaza (pre1967) - East Jerusalem: Palestinian sovreign territory
Israel (pre1967) - West Jerusalem: Israeli sovreign territory
Jerusalem (East&West): International open city under UN supervision
Golan heights: Swarming with US peace keepers. Israel doesn't trust UN peace keepers. US peace keepers might work better.

Israel doesn't like being seen as the aggressor unless they are provoked, it ruins their "we small number of jews surrounded by hundreds of millions of muslims who want us exterminated" defence. They would rather let other states put themselves into bad positions, than force them into it.

The US doesn't know what it wants to be in the relationship, on one hand they are increasingly pissed off at Israel's actions and on the other they know that for the last 60 years Israel has been like a little US enclave in the middle east. They seem to be opposing things on their actual merit these days instead of having a overall policy of only following either Israel or Palestine's lead.
Kissenger said "nation states don't have friends, they have interests". The US has broken than mantra for the last decades. Supporting Israel has given them all hell with the Arab nations. And the Arabs controls a lot of oil..

For that the borders would have to be defined and getting a seat at the UN doesn't do that. It is an entirely different issue.
In truth, this is about respect. Arabs of all kinds are proud people. They crave respect. That is true in this case as well. They don't feel respected. And in a lot of cases, that's an accurate assessment of the situation.

I'm not the biggest fan of Thomas Friedman, but he wrote a great op/ed the other day

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/o...rift-at-sea-alone.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

The Palestinians really have no other choice but to push for statehood through the UN. Israel won't even freeze settlement construction, so what kind of peace process could ever take place? The Palestinians have jumped through all the hurdles (stop the bombings, hold elections etc). If this bid fails and the settlement construction continues, then the Palestinians should seriously consider suicide bombings again.
The big bad thing Israel's doing right now is settlement building. They need to stop doing that, it's stupid, it's wrong, it's dangerous and it doesn't help Israel one bit.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Israel is behaving like a spoilt child, used to get his way.

The big bad thing Israel's doing right now is settlement building. They need to stop doing that, it's stupid, it's wrong, it's dangerous and it doesn't help Israel one bit.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Israel is behaving like a spoilt child, used to get his way.

It is more to do with the internal politics of Israel than a unquenchable thirst for more land for the state. The super-ultra nationalist wing of the jewish community in Israel really believe that all of that land is theirs from god and they can do whatever they want with it, and the Israeli government isn't brave enough to stand up to that section of society because of the internal repercussions it might bring with the nationalists and their supporters within the jewish religious establishment.

Louis Theroux's "The Ultra Zionist" documentary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_Zionists) showed very clearly just how batshit crazy those people are.

I know that. But it's also a true belief of some extremists, like Netanyahu, that not a single piece of 'Israeli' soil should be returned to anyone. It's been like that since ben Gurion.

And there are times when extremists on all sides need to get pushed aside. Where would Northern Ireland be if they didn't do that? Someone needs to just do it, and when they do, it will be easier to get something done.

There has been no better time for a peace deal, what with the changes throughout the Arab world and the goodwill that Obama had.....and the moment was squandered by Netanyahu.

The best time for it may have been sometime in the mid to late 90's. However if I were Israel I would be afraid when all of the Arab states that had stability are in flux those who they wanted change have cemented. Egypt had a strong leader who was able to keep peace and not call Israel too many names. Egypt now cannot even keep safe the Israeli embassy in her own borders. If this is done incorrectly it will be disastrous for all parties involved.

That was a bit hyperbolic on my part. No better time since the second intifada would have been more appropriate.

As a palestinian , i aint really palestinian since i dont have the nationality. why ? cuz my grand-parents were forced to move to jordan. and there land became occupied and is now an israeli settlement/town . what have my grandparents done to have their lives changed like that , and not to mention me and my family . i dont hate jews. i dont like zionism . I would like to see my true country for once in my life . i hope i see it as palestine , and not a something i used to belong to or be from but now is non-existant. I wish others knew what its like to be a foreigner all their life. a refugee is not something you should be forced to become . I hope a palestine state exists one day and this freaking war stop . i dont like politics but i wont let go of my identity.

People in Congress, like Rep. Joe Walsh don't make things any easier for the United States

WARNING - Reading the quote below may result in your eyes rolling all the way back into your head.

http://www.earnedmedia.org/cjw0919.htm

"Demanding statehood from the United Nations violates every agreement and peace treaty signed by the Palestinian Authority since the Oslo Accords. The Palestinians must return to the negotiating table and work together with Israel toward peace. Attempts like this to cut Israel out of the picture simply re-confirm the Palestinians' commitment to annihilating Israel.

"A U.N. recognized Palestinian state could put Israeli citizens under the control of a Palestinian government that has vowed to expel all Jews from its territory, including Jerusalem. Jerusalem and the neighboring territories of Judea and Samaria are the birthplaces of Judaism and Christianity, and Jews and Christians have the God-given right to live there.

"I have introduced this resolution to warn the Palestinians of the consequences they face if they continue to demand statehood from the United Nations. If the Palestinians press forward with this effort, it will be viewed as a voluntary withdrawal from the Oslo Accords, and any land given to the Palestinians in that treaty, including Judea and Samaria, will be returned to Israel."

Here is the resolution he introduced (Which has, according to the above piece, 30 co-sponsors)

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=hr112-394

so..they want the palestinian themselves to just die off the land ?? they dont want a statehood cuz that could establish some sort of reason the palestinians could stay..it amazing how they make palestinians seem to be the invador and that they have the military . Are palestinians safe at all right now ?? its getting worse and worse everyday , and there is nothing to do . i myself dont care about the palestinan government .theyre idiots. i care about the people who live there and the rights they never had , and there lands that are diminishing .

It's about time the world recognizes Palestine.

There has been no better time for a peace deal, what with the changes throughout the Arab world and the goodwill that Obama had.....and the moment was squandered by Netanyahu.
True enough. But it's still borderline unwise to rush it now.

The best time for it may have been sometime in the mid to late 90's. However if I were Israel I would be afraid when all of the Arab states that had stability are in flux those who they wanted change have cemented. Egypt had a strong leader who was able to keep peace and not call Israel too many names. Egypt now cannot even keep safe the Israeli embassy in her own borders. If this is done incorrectly it will be disastrous for all parties involved.
They can keep it safe, they just didn't bother to keep it safe. I think there's some sweating in Tel Aviv over Syria, though. A faithfull enemy that's been lovingly consistent in tough rethoric and nothing else for donkey years, it's hard to say what the unrest in Syria might lead to in the long term.

People in Congress, like Rep. Joe Walsh don't make things any easier for the United States

WARNING - Reading the quote below may result in your eyes rolling all the way back into your head.

http://www.earnedmedia.org/cjw0919.htm

Here is the resolution he introduced (Which has, according to the above piece, 30 co-sponsors)

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=hr112-394
Joe Walsh needs to think about the Christian Palestinians. There's thousands of them. Literally.

It's about time the world recognizes Palestine.
True enough, but is it being rushed?

I think some effective nation-building institutions need to be in place before the Palestinians receive nation status. Hamas, Fatah and the PA are corrupt ineffective pieces of shit that need to be replaced with organizations like those the Zionists put together before independence. Whether you agree with Zionism or not, the Zionist system of social organizations like the farming cooperatives and welfare authorities was the only way that Israel could maintain momentum when it was a young country. If the Palestinians don't work together on creating similar institutions they'll fall back in to sectarian struggle that is worse than before. Don't say that Israel is prohibiting this because it isn't and Palestinians across the world with their bizarre UNRWA refugee status receive benefits that can pay for these programs. With these programs underway, Israel can view the palestinians as a proper partner for peace because they'll have something to work towards in a real framework rather than complaining that it hadn't been fair in the past and that Israel ought to shell out for these efforts.

In regard to the situation with Egypt, especially the embassy: If Israel had made conscious efforts to protect the embassy the Egyptians would have complained that they did so in the wrong way and set Israel back even farther.

Also, Turkey should shut the fuck up and deal because soon both Israel and Turkey are going to have problems with Syria.

Last edited: