Paris Preview: 2011 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
Guess Porsche thought there was room for another variation of the 911. :?

So the Cabrio version of this is now the fastest/most powerful RWD cabrio Porsche makes. It gets you closer to the Turbo Cabrio without having to get all-wheel drive.

Source: Autoblog

If you're in the market for a new 911, but don't want the same Carrera S as your neighbor and the GT3 is just a wee bit too hardcore for your tastes, we don't understand you. Thankfully, Porsche does and the answer to your prayers is coming to Paris. Meet the 2011 Porsche Carrera 911 GTS, the new middle-child of the ass-engined family.

If the body work looks familiar, that's because it's cribbed from the all-wheel drive Carrera 4 ? a trick Porsche has pulled off several times in the past. Nestled between that 44mm wider track is an upgraded 3.8-liter flat-six putting out 408 horsepower (23 more than the standard S, 27 less than the GT3) and 310 pound-feet of torque, now peaking at 4,200 rpm ? 200 rpm earlier than in the S.

Power is sent exclusively to the rear wheels (and as it should be), with a manual six-speed transmission coming standard and a seven-speed PDK as an option. Select the Sport Chrono package along with the dual-clutch 'box, and Porsche claims you'll be cracking off four-second 0-60 runs all day long.

Aside from the widened haunches, the GTS is set apart by its 19-inch center-hub RS Spyder wheels, SportDesign front and rear fascias, black Alcantara trim and assorted body and interior bits.

After the GTS debuts in Paris, sales of both the coupe and cabriolet versions will begin early next year, with a starting price of $103,100 and $112,900, respectively.

Press Release: Porsche Adds Expressive and Performance-Oriented 911 GTS Model

New Carrera builds on time-honored GTS name, provides increased performance and efficiency

ATLANTA ? September 15, 2010 ? With 408 horsepower (hp), outstanding vehicle dynamics and additional standard equipment, the new 2011 911 Carrera GTS ascends to the pinnacle of the Carrera model lineup. With 23 hp more than the 911 Carrera S, the new GTS ? available as Coupe and Cabriolet ? narrows the gap between the Carrera S and the 435 hp 911 GT3. The additional sportiness goes hand in hand with an economic advantage: thanks to Porsche Intelligent Performance, as the new sports car consumes no more fuel than the 911 Carrera S. It also provides comprehensive list of additional standard equipment. The 2011 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS will celebrate its world premiere at the Paris Motor Show in early October.

Athletic, Muscular Design Statement

Unique within the Carrera family, the 911 Carrera GTS combines the 44 millimeter wider Carrera 4 body of the AWD models, including a wider rear track and wheels, with rear-wheel drive. There are many more details which distinguish the appearance and technology of a GTS from other Carrera models, for instance, the GTS runs on 19-inch center-mount RS Spyder wheels, painted black, with high-gloss rim flanges and 305/30 R 19 tires on the rear axle.

Other visual features include the SportDesign front apron with black spoiler edge, special sideskirts, also in black, and the Carrera GTS logotype on doors and rear lid, in black or silver depending on the body color. The area between the two tailpipes in the rear is also black. In combination with the standard interior color "black Alcantara", the center sections of the driver and passenger sport seats are covered with black Alcantara and the high-quality Alcantara is also used wherever driver and passenger come in direct contact with the interior, like on the rim of the new three-spoke SportDesign steering wheel and on the gear and handbrake levers.

More Power. Quicker Acceleration. Same Fuel Economy.

Detailed attention was paid to the intake and exhaust functions in the 3.8-liter flat-six engine that now delivers 408 hp: A special resonance intake manifold featuring six vacuum-controlled tuning flaps switch between power and torque-optimized geometry compared to the Carrera S power unit with only one tuning flap. This allows for increased torque in the mid-rev range. Maximum torque of 310 lb. ft. (420 Nm) is unchanged, but is available at 4,200 rpm; 200 rpm earlier when compared with the Carrera S. Additionally, a sport exhaust system with two dual-tipped tailpipes with their outer shells painted black with polished inner tubes comes standard.

The Carrera GTS comes standard with a six-speed manual transmission with the seven-speed Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) available. In comparison with the Carrera S, top track speed for manual transmission Coupe rises by two mph to 190 (306 km/h). Acceleration from zero to 60 is 4.0 seconds for the GTS Coupe with PDK and Sport Chrono Package Plus. And the new Carrera GTS will offer fuel economy of up to 19 mpg city / 27 mpg highway.

In the U.S., the 911 Carrera GTS Coupe and Cabriolet will be available beginning in early 2011 and MSRP will be $103,100 and $112,900 respectively.

2011-911-carrera-gts-4-coupe.jpg

2011-911-carrera-gts-2-cabrio.jpg

This is the first 911 I don't understand the point of. Do they really need a model to cover every single model gap?

Isn't the C2S good enough? :?

stupid name

the carrera GTS should be a 'sportier' version of this imo
porsche-carrera-gt-mirage-gtr.jpg

not a fancy 911

"If you're in the market for a new 911, but don't want the same Carrera S as your neighbor and the GT3 is just a wee bit too hardcore for your tastes, we don't understand you."

Yeah, I don't understand them either.

I'm 12 and what is this? How can one defend Porsche for their marketing department? They must be a bunch of accountants, that just make up cars. It's getting more and more complicated.

Perfect, now we only need the Carrera 4 GTS, Carrera GTS Targa, Turbo GTS, S GTS, RS GTS, RS Targa, GTS Classic, GT3 S, GT3 4S, GT2 S,RS GT, GT2 Targa, and GT3 Carrera. :)

Reminds me of Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed, 1000 different names for the same Car.

I don't see the problem. This only benefits the consumer. They can get exactly the Porsche they want. Unless this version turns out to be crap (which it won't) I'm all for.

I notice one of the cars pictured has the center hubs, another not. I'm glad more models are getting them, but... do not want (on my own car). There's still a relative lack of aftermarket options and good tools to work with them. Time will fix that, at least if Porsche keeps using the wheels on more and more models...

23hp more than the standard Carrera 2S? You could probably with a chip that should be less than $2k.

I'm sure they can just offer something like that for the Carrera 2S from the factory, without having to introduce a whole separate model.

I'm sure they can just offer something like that for the Carrera 2S from the factory, without having to introduce a whole separate model.
They already do. The Powerkit upgrades the C2S to 408hp. This does add $16,900 to the price (in the US). This is actually more expensive than the GTS. I'm not sure if you can option things like the center hub wheels and the exact same sport seats and alcantara (though you can get both sport seats and alcantara in the C2S). But still, that'll add ever more cost. It sounds like, if you want the PowerKit, just get the GTS. Get it debadged (most Porsches have a 0 cost option to just never apply the badge) and pretend it's a fast C2S that you got a great deal on.

They already do. The Powerkit upgrades the C2S to 408hp. This does add $16,900 to the price (in the US). This is actually more expensive than the GTS. I'm not sure if you can option things like the center hub wheels and the exact same sport seats and alcantara (though you can get both sport seats and alcantara in the C2S). But still, that'll add ever more cost. It sounds like, if you want the PowerKit, just get the GTS. Get it debadged (most Porsches have a 0 cost option to just never apply the badge) and pretend it's a fast C2S that you got a great deal on.
An interesting point. It's the same story with the Turbo S; If you spec up a regular 997 Turbo MKII to the same equipment level as a Turbo S, you'll end up spending more than the MSRP of the Turbo S, and you still don't get the power hike and performance mods the Turbo S offers...

An interesting point. It's the same story with the Turbo S; If you spec up a regular 997 Turbo MKII to the same equipment level as a Turbo S, you'll end up spending more than the MSRP of the Turbo S, and you still don't get the power hike and performance mods the Turbo S offers...
Turbo S doesn't offer a traditional manual, though.

Then again, the "Turbo" direction is the GT direction for the powerful Porsches, anyway. Just take the PDK. :p Want the traditional manual? Get a GT3, GT3 RS, or GT2. Yes, those are daily drivable... Except in deep snow. But the Turbo/Turbo S would have issues with deep snow, too. :)

You'd really hate the guys who rally theirs. :D That's the whole point - it's a car that's incredible on the track, that can still take the miles and stresses of daily driving. Porsche has some incredible engineering.