No 56k: Parked like an idiot

I would (sadly) like to report that Australians buy them too...
Just in the small town where my school is, there are at least two. WHY???
I'm sorry, but they just don't look that good to me...:no:

When it first came out it was a smash hit, people had to be put on waiting lists for months here in the states. I can only assume it did somewhat well pretty much wherever else it was sold.

I had a PT for 5 years, never a single problem, other than a couple punctured tires. With the 2.4L turbo engine, it was a laugh to drive.

The PT has never seemed as a unreliable car to me. I still see plenty around, and even the decontented models near the end of it's lifecycle weren't "bad" cars. Solid neon mechanicals provided somewhat decent handling (ok so different rear suspension-twist beam vs. independent) but still....[...]
The Pt cruiser scores poorly in ADAC-breakdown statistics here and the T?V - Report (MOT in Britain) .

in 2009, 24 % of 6-7 year old PT Cruisers failed the German MOT with an "substantial fault" and have to be fixed in order to be allowed onto the road again. For reference of all 6-7 year old Audi A4, only 8% failed the test (and the Audi isn?t even on top of that list). Even after 2-3 years (wich is the first ever Test the car has to pass after leaving the showroom) - 11,5% fail. For reference, a Toyota Corolla Verso only fails in 2%. In the last decade only one less well build and less reliable car pops up in the statistic than the PT cruiser ... the Kia Carnival.

Last edited:
I remember the PT making somewhat of a stir here when it first came out (remember this was early 2000s), to non car people who were used to look at the usual Golf/Astra drearyness, a Chrysler* that looked that weird was like something from a Fantasy TV show, AND it was cheap compared to the competition.....so quite a few had a look, and quite a few cars were sold.

*aka that unknown, 'mythical' American brand that made landyachts with fins on them. :p

Last edited:
I remember the PT making somewhat of a stir here when it first came out (remember this was early 2000s), to non car people who were used to look at the usual Golf/Astra drearyness, a Chrysler* that looked that weird was like something from a Fantasy TV show, AND it was cheap compared to the competition.....so quite a few had a look, and quite a few cars were sold.

this. at least it looked like something! that's more than you can say from the european hatches of that era...

Latest full year statistics show that 31,5% of PT Cruisers aged 10 failed to pass their inspection here in 2010. This is lower percentage than the average 10 year old V70 (diesel), but the difference is that the 2001 V70 on average have 31 150 km on the clock, the average PT Cruiser have 13 579 km. 10 year old petrol V70's have a 25% failure rate and 20 050 km.

The worst car is the remarkable Kia Clarus, which I have no idea what it is. It was apparently on sale for three years around the millenia and have a 51% rejection rate.

Last edited:
10 years, and an average of 31 150km on the clock? i think i drive that much in a single year :?

My mum has always wanted a PT Loser, she still says she'd trade the Fabia in for one. "Seats are comfy" :blink:

I?ve also owned a PT Cruiser (the GT - 332Nm) and it was a fun to drive.
Except for the Battery it never let me down, while my newly Golf6 had 4 Problems in the first 3 or 4 months.
And yes, the seats were very comfy. :)

The worst car is the remarkable Kia Clarus, which I have no idea what it is. It was apparently on sale for three years around the millenia and have a 51% rejection rate.
Reminds me of the Century I used to drive.

I meant outward appearance, it was actually fairly reliable in the driving parts but the power windows and other electronic shit started failing at around 70K or so.

Ahh gotcha :)

Latest full year statistics show that 31,5% of PT Cruisers aged 10 failed to pass their inspection here in 2010. This is lower percentage than the average 10 year old V70 (diesel), but the difference is that the 2001 V70 on average have 31 150 km on the clock, the average PT Cruiser have 13 579 km. 10 year old petrol V70's have a 25% failure rate and 20 050 km.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Credos

Odd that it was so bad since its a 626 underneith.

Apparently it has a very cult like following as well

With you, perhaps. :p

:lol: I just love seeing people drive cars that others consider pieces of shit, and they take really super duper good care of them and keep em in good condition like the guy with the 300,000K Clarus in the wiki.

^ Neat trick...