No 56k: Parked like an idiot

You couldn't get past on the left? Approaching from the right edge of the street at an angle, it looks to me like there's just enough room to fit through, if you drove onto the sidewalk with the left wheel...

However, that's definitely idiotic parking, and it's a shame he didn't get towed.

He eventually did end up getting towed (or at least he left by the time I left). I did think about squeezing through, but the gap was about 4 inches too narrow. There also were cars parked nose-in to the building on the left so it would've been really tight on the other side too.

What is so bad about the beer? You guys have a pretty high alcohol limit anyway, as long as he is below the limit or someone else drank it, I don't see a problem.

Maybe it's the brand...?

It's illegal to have an open container of alcohol in the vehicle in some states.

That could be it, although Grolsch is ok from a bottle.

[edit]
So you guys have moronic laws?

Grolsch in the US tastes different from Grolsch in The Netherlands, and not in a good way.

[edit]
So you guys have moronic laws?

For sure, but considering almost twice as many people are killed by drunk drivers in the US each year than shot to death with guns, a lot of law makers don't have a sense of humor about it.

In that case lower the limit or enforce the old one. If you are tested by the police in the Netherlands and you are in the grey area around the limit, the whole process will cost you an hour or more, even if you are below the limit in the end. Banning passengers from having a drink is very restrictive and hardly in the spirit of america.

In that case lower the limit or enforce the old one. If you are tested by the police in the Netherlands and you are in the grey area around the limit, the whole process will cost you an hour or more, even if you are below the limit in the end. Banning passengers from having a drink is very restrictive and hardly in the spirit of america.

Hold on. Are you actually saying drinking alcohol while using a vehicle should be legal?

Hold on. Are you actually saying drinking alcohol while using a vehicle should be legal?
There is some logic to it, there is a legal limit equal to about a beer or two so it shouldn't matter if the drinking is done before driving or during. At the same time the current law doesn't allow a passenger to drink, which doesn't make much sense as they are allowed to do everything else that's illegal for a driver. Finally you have to be a complete and utter pillock to get caught with an open container since all you have to do is pour it into another one....

Please, stop talking out of your ass. :)

The limit is 0.08% and is strictly enforced. Cops don't joke around when it comes to alcohol and driving. Still doesn't seem to stop idiots though from drinking and driving.

At the same time the current law doesn't allow a passenger to drink, which doesn't make much sense as they are allowed to do everything else that's illegal for a driver. Finally you have to be a complete and utter pillock to get caught with an open container since all you have to do is pour it into another one....

You could just hand your beer to your passenger and claim it's theirs. That's why there's no open containers, period.

As for pouring it into another, that requires the other one to be open to so that kinda defeats the purpose. Or you guys use screw top beers in New York? :p

Last edited:
As for pouring it into another, that requires the other one to be open to so that kinda defeats the purpose. Or you guys use screw top beers in New York? :p

its more along the lines of vodka into a water bottle or a beer into a fast food cup or w.e, I know when I was underage I would just add rum to a bottle of coke(not while driving obviously) <_<

You could just hand your beer to your passenger and claim it's theirs. That's why there's no open containers, period.
Yeah but you still have to be under the legal limit and the cops have the right to test you any time they think you might be impaired so what would be the point?
Basically this:
remizak said:
its more along the lines of vodka into a water bottle or a beer into a fast food cup or w.e,
You are not gonna know if the big gulp is full of Rum and Coke or some Snapple.

See below.
There is some logic to it, there is a legal limit equal to about a beer or two so it shouldn't matter if the drinking is done before driving or during. At the same time the current law doesn't allow a passenger to drink, which doesn't make much sense as they are allowed to do everything else that's illegal for a driver. Finally you have to be a complete and utter pillock to get caught with an open container since all you have to do is pour it into another one....

The limit is 0.08% and is strictly enforced. Cops don't joke around when it comes to alcohol and driving. Still doesn't seem to stop idiots though from drinking and driving.

I still don't get why you need a separate law for no open containers. It does not change the fact whether the driver is under the influence or not. If they hand their drink to a passenger, they may be over the limit or not. Just test them immediately and then test them an hour or later or so to see whether they are drunk. This whole thing must a specific american thing, because here it is perfectly legal and would even say normal in some cases to enjoy a drink while being a passenger.

My favourite is missing from that: "If you fuck like you park, you'll never get one in".

He's probably only trying to protect the paint job :p

Really? That's nearly 1?! Driving ability at such high levels is severely impaired.