No 56k: Parked like an idiot

I think it's safer to say that Mercedes is still doing the bumper warts, along with Bugatti, apparently.

I don't see many on our domestic products...

fordgt.jpg

ctsv.jpg

Viper.jpg

What the hell is the point to those stupid rear bumper warts? Don't tell me its a health and safety thing...

What the hell is the point to those stupid rear bumper warts? Don't tell me its a health and safety thing...

European safety standards aren't as high as the US of A's.

We also don't revisit them once they're implemented.

But what the hell are they there for?

The requirements promulgated under MVICS were consolidated with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 215 (FMVSS 215, "Exterior Protection of Vehicles") and promulgated in March 1976. This new bumper standard (...) applicable to 1979-model year passenger cars, were called the "Phase I" standard. At the same time, a zero-damage requirement, "Phase II", was enacted for bumper systems on 1980 and newer cars. (...) 5 miles per hour (8 km/h) front and rear barrier and pendulum crash tests were required, and no damage was allowed to the bumper beyond a 3?8 in (10 mm) dent and 3?4 in (19 mm) displacement from the bumper's original position.

Damage Prevention. So that you don't have a three mile-an-hour bump kill your engine/headlights/whathaveyou

European safety standards aren't as high as the US of A's.

All-seasons instead of proper winter/summer tires, stone-age halogen headlights instead of active matrix LEDs (they are illegal, somehow) and AFAIK some states still don't make car owners have their vehicles inspected annually.

Sorry, I meant crash standards.

This was on Reddit today:

v2RNLR_lwfzCCw2ApzSEg_3wwECTmr7CZARbRwRNDhg.jpg

Guy parked facing the wrong way and caused a massive traffic jam.

Everyone knows when you understeer like that what you need to do is put your foot down, especially AFTER hitting the barrier.

fUb0cqA.jpg

Yes, lets squeeze in at the nose

cb2TMsx.jpg