Parking an MT on any incline: how do you do it?

Parking an MT on any incline: how do you do it?

• Total voters

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
Lets say the parking lot you park your clutch/stick MT car has an incline that will make the car roll if in neutral.

Do you

1. Use the handbrake alone?

2. Park in gear without the handbrake?

3. Use both but engage handbrake first let it hold the car stationary and then put it in gear as a 'backup' thus putting all the strain on the parking brake?

4. Use both but park it in gear and let it hold the car stationary, and then pull the handbrake as a 'backup' thus putting all the strain on the gearbox?

Handbrake first, make sure it's taking the load then put it into gear just incase.

Park in gear and your car won't be staying parked for very long.

I apply the parking brake first, turn the front wheels in the proper direction, and then put the car in gear.

I just use my handbrake, I like to live on the wild side of incline parking.

hand break on (without just yanking it over the ratchet thingy, i press the button, pull, release button)

then in gear..... 1st if the nose is pointing up, reverse if the other way. any other time i just put handbrake on and use 1st gear

at the moment tho, my handbrake cable snapped, so no handbrake lol

I apply the parking brake first, turn the front wheels in the proper direction, and then put the car in gear.

i think alot of you missed an important item..
i feel that this makes a huge difference and saves your car

perosnally i just use handbrake with wheel turning

if you're facing up the hill you turn your wheels towards the road, so if it does roll back it'll hit the curb (in america atleast)

if you're facing down the hill turn it towards the curb, so if you roll down it'll hit the curb.

I hardly ever use handbrake. It's proven to be very unreliable :) So gear only usually, handbrake as backup if there's incline.

I hardly ever use handbrake. It's proven to be very unreliable :) So gear only usually, handbrake as backup if there's incline.
Actually, only using the gears won't hold you on a steep hill. The only thing stopping you from rolling is friction in the engine (it turning) and honestly, it's not a huge amount to overcome for a heavy car. Best to use both incase either "fails".

Actually, only using the gears won't hold you on a steep hill. The only thing stopping you from rolling is friction in the engine (it turning) and honestly, it's not a huge amount to overcome for a heavy car. Best to use both incase either "fails".

Like I said, handbrake if necessary, otherwise not. Other problem with handbrake is that I always forget to put it down when leaving :)
Also static friction of the engine is plenty, and nobody said anything about a heavy car ;)

Handbrake always. Facing uphill, gearbox in 1st. Facing down hill, gearbox in reverse

Handbrake always. Facing uphill, gearbox in 1st. Facing down hill, gearbox in reverse

I don't think 1st verus reverse does anything really.

I find it works pretty well. Its a good trick when your offroading and you stall on a hill

Pretty often I apply all three. First gear or reverse, handbrake and turn the wheels against the curb. When I'm feeling lazy, I don't do the wheels thing, but I always apply the handbrake, I never leave it in gear only. As to what do I apply first - none, really. I usually keep my foot on the brake pedal until I apply both.

I find it works pretty well. Its a good trick when your offroading and you stall on a hill
So you want your engine to start up if you car starts rolling? :p