PART ONE of "The Greatest Road in CA" now online

Oooh, that's excellent news. :D

Oh i am so excited for the release. The show is absolutely amazing. I want to ask a question about wheter or not will you guys put it on download sites like megaupload? Im not requesting just wondering.

Oh i am so excited for the release. The show is absolutely amazing. I want to ask a question about wheter or not will you guys put it on download sites like megaupload? Im not requesting just wondering.

Well, I'd not heard of it but I just took a look and I think it's probably easier to just do a torrent. If there's some reason why that isn't the best option, let me know.

Make sure you send the boys at Top Gear a link to the torrent or mail them a DVD, perhaps they would enjoy it! It would be even better if they took your film as a challenge to find an even better road!

"We were literally inundated with a film..." ;)

Hahahah, I LOVED IT !! :D

Can't wait for the release

All the Best

Haven't watched the video, but when I was over that way the best road I encountered was the one we took from within Yosemite national park east over the hills (heaing to death valley). From sea level up to about 12k feet, then back down, winding all the way. And in the pouring rain in a RWD car - properly fun. Needless to say I insisted I took over the driving for that whole part.

This looks really great, guys.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it. You said the cut is coming in at 55min, did you always plan for it to be an hour long, or just seeing how it shaped up.

Also curious: a) what was your camera vehicle? b) what cameras did you use - both in car and out?

And besides making it available for people to see, what's your larger plan here? Is there one?

Well done.

Reactions: svb
I don't usually post here but I just wanted to say how pleasantly surprised I was to see your Top Gear tribute film. The production values are very impressive and scenes which we likely take for granted from the Top Gear UK show (with their ample resources) are reproduced nicely here.

The chemistry that you 3 guys have is quite clear and I'm impressed at how natural but concise things come across. I was expecting lots of "umms" and "ahhhs" but all of you are well spoken. I assume that the dialogue was partially scripted?

As well, on the topic of dialogue, I'm happy to see that you didn't fall into the trap of overdoing it with the Brit-terms. They speak that way because they're Brits, you speak this way because you're American.

Anyways, well done and I look forward to watching the episode in it's entirety.

awesome!!!!

top gear level of quality on camera !!
very cool , makes me want to go to californiaaaaa!!
keep it up

congratulations :mrgreen:

This looks really great, guys.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it. You said the cut is coming in at 55min, did you always plan for it to be an hour long, or just seeing how it shaped up.

Also curious: a) what was your camera vehicle? b) what cameras did you use - both in car and out?

And besides making it available for people to see, what's your larger plan here? Is there one?

Well done.

I was always planning on it being either 30mins or 1hour. As it was, after my first run-through it came out to about 50mins and there was going to be no way to cut it down to 30 and still include everything I wanted. After going back and re-doing some stuff and adding a few things here & there, it came out to about 55min which works for me.

Our camera vehicle and the cameras we used -- go check our website/blog and scroll down (or maybe go back a page). There is an entry from our Director of Photography where he goes through everything in great detail.

Larger plan? Other than convincing Andy Wilman that WE should be TGUS :mrgreen:, no, there is no larger plan. The idea was originally one I had when I sat down to decide what fun thing I wanted to do after I took the California Bar last summer but before I started working again. I called up a few friends and asked if they wanted to make a film, as sort of an homage to Top Gear and everyone was really into the idea. It grew from there to what it is today.

Final tweaks are taking much longer than anticipated and exporting the full thing, compressing it down, and getting it online is a process that will take days to complete simply because we are limited by our equipment and internet connections.

Most of us are leaving in a couple days to go over to Europe for snowboarding and while we're there we intend to go check out the original Top Gear "World's Greatest Driving Road." We won't be shooting a film on the scale of this project (as this is primarily a vacation, not a film shoot), but we will be coming back with some kind of footage and that footage will likely make it online in some form or another.

As far as this film goes, we really really really hope to have it online by the time we get back, so look for it to be released on the weekend of the 24th-25th. Hopefully. Barring any major roadblocks, at this point, that should be realistic.

Really strong work guys. I'm speaking up as a member that has like 10 posts in 3 years. I would love to see more and you are doing great. You should send this to Adam Corolla and them and see what they think

As far as this film goes, we really really really hope to have it online by the time we get back, so look for it to be released on the weekend of the 24th-25th. Hopefully. Barring any major roadblocks, at this point, that should be realistic.

Emphasis mine.

Hey everyone

I'm back from Europe and just put the final touches on the film. We had a small glitch with our last upload so we're having to re-export and re-encode the final version. Given the processing and uploading time, it may not be until Monday morning that it'll be online. Sorry to keep stalling but this will hopefully be the last "update" before the release of the final hour-long version.

Just watched the first bit... Great job mates! I live up in the Bay Area and there are SO many awesome mountain roads around here it's unbelievable. Real shame we were never even considered by Top Gear! Pfft.