PC case recommendations?

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Last edited:
I used this Cooler Master Centurion for a build I did a few months ago and really liked it.

Nice, simple case with lots of room for 120mm fans, great build quality (no jagged edges or flimsy plastic), mostly tool-less assembly, and not too expensive. The only thing missing is a removable MOBO tray, which helps if you're going to install a huge heatsink. But, that feature usually means a more expensive case.

I'd go with one of the better brand names such as Cooler Master, Antec, Lian-Li, or Silverstone in aluminum or steel. Stay away from the cheapy plastic cases like Rosewill, Foxconn, In Win, Compucase, etc. Everything else is kinda personal preference; I don't like plastic side windows and I like to buy my own PSU.

What kind of price limit are you looking for?

What kind of price limit are you looking for?

Less than $200 probably. Price isn't a large sticking point as I'll use it across multiple builds (only replacing the current one because it's ugly and I want better/quieter cooling).

I do want 120+ mm fans though (none of that 80mm crap).

I don't need a PSU (the kinds that come with cases wouldn't have enough watts to power my new build anyway) and I want it bottom mounted probably to keep things cooler.

Last edited:
In every build I had a say in I recommended going cheap. If you have no plans for weird things like excessive heat, unusual/many devices, or looking at the case lot I'd say you're wasting your money.

In every build I had a say in I recommended going cheap. If you have no plans for weird things like excessive heat, unusual/many devices, or looking at the case lot I'd say you're wasting your money.

Not everyone likes boring, ugly beige cases. Some of us prefer a little form with our function. ;)

Have to agree with narf here, I hate my case, its layout is stupid and it's hard to work with, and I have no intention of replacing it. Just not worth it for the handful of times it will give me trouble.

I used this Cooler Master Centurion for a build I did a few months ago and really liked it.

I really like mine, too. That said, the front is a pain in the arse to keep clean, and cable mgmt isn't all that great.

I love having all of the jacks and the power button are in the top of the front of the case. My case sits on the ground, so it's perfect!.

In terms of proper cooling solutions and good build quality, Antec has always been one of the market leaders. I have two cases myself, the airflow layout is quite clever. I don't know what their current layout looks like though.

EDIT: have a look at this:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Case_Basics_and_Recommendations
read the whole guide if you want, or just skip to the recommendations. If you want good airflow and cooling, and a quiet case, spcr is the place to look.

Last edited:
I can recommend Lancool cases.
Good layout, nice features, toolless, HDDs are dampened (you won't believe the difference that makes...), good cable management is easy to achieve

Heres a review: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...76-lancool-dragonlord-pc-k62-case-review.html

This. Recently built a new rig for a friend in a Lancool, and it was a joy to work with:

PC-K58:

lancool%20pc-k58%20grand.jpg

CA-004-LN_23442_400.jpg

The K-60 has a window on the side if you want some bling :)

I had a look at the NZXT cases. They seem to be quiet cheap.

I had a look at the NZXT cases. They seem to be quiet cheap.

/shrug This won't be a LAN party machine or anything like that. I just need something quiet, that cools well, and looks good.

I don't know how easy iCute cases are to get hold of but they're alright. Not sure if they are screwless though.

http://icute.com.tw/english/AllProduct.html

A18.jpg

I have the 0509ULA model and have done for years. There are 220mm fans available too. Build quality is fine.

/shrug This won't be a LAN party machine or anything like that. I just need something quiet, that cools well, and looks good.

Well, surely you want something built to last. The Lancool isn't showy at all, but the build quality is awesome. When I say plastic looks cheap I mean it feels rather flimsy.

There are some other Lancool cases out there as well. No idea about US pricing, but even over here in Australia they're not terribly expensive.

Last edited:
CM590 RC

Trust me on this Viper, you won't regret it. Case takes like 7 x fans, ranging from 80mm, 120mm to 140mm.

If you dig around on this section of the forum, you might find my CM590 build thread from a few years ago.

Last edited:
Well, surely you want something built to last.

How does a cheap case break? It's just sitting there cooling my parts.