PC going too far...

gti138

Car(s)
Peugeot 206 GTi & Mazda CX-7
Story on news.com.au

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,23663,21172378-10229,00.htm

Gibe has car show in a jam

AUSTRALIANS might never see Richard Hammond's return to Top Gear after one of his co-presenters asked if he was "mental", sparking a deluge of complaints.

At the start of the show broadcast on the BBC Jeremy Clarkson asked Hammond if he was mental after a 450km/h crash that threatened his life, while James May offered him a tissue in case he started dribbling.

An SBS spokeswoman said that in the past the channel had banned episodes that attracted complaints when screened overseas, but a decision on the Top Gear episode would be made closer to its broadcast in about 12 months.

"By then Richard will have completely recovered so it might not be so controversial," she said.

In Britain, a charity for people with brain injuries criticised the episode.

Headway said it had been inundated with complaints.

Headway UK chief executive Peter McCabe said: "It really was offensive and insulting to all those people living with brain injuries.

"It glamorised fast driving and gives the impression people can make a full recovery from head injuries. That is not always the case."

A BBC spokesman said: "Top Gear's audience is familiar with the irreverent tone and this was typical of the type of exchanges that take place between the presenters. It was certainly not intended to cause any offence.

"The item showing Richard's crash could not have been a clearer illustration of the dangers and excitement of speed."

The program was also criticised by Brake, Britain's national road safety charity, which said it was "shocked and appalled" by Clarkson's comment that "speed kills" while pointing at Hammond after the crash was shown.

What are they? Mental?! Just leave the rest of us alone!

That's just reminded me - did they ban Waynes World? Maybe they should have :lol:

GRRR....:mad: As others have said... if you dont like it... then switch it off..

AUSTRALIANS might never see Richard Hammond's return to Top Gear after one of his co-presenters asked if he was "mental", sparking a deluge of complaints.

At the start of the show broadcast on the BBC Jeremy Clarkson asked Hammond if he was mental after a 450km/h crash that threatened his life, while James May offered him a tissue in case he started dribbling.

An SBS spokeswoman said that in the past the channel had banned episodes that attracted complaints when screened overseas, but a decision on the Top Gear episode would be made closer to its broadcast in about 12 months.

"By then Richard will have completely recovered so it might not be so controversial," she said.

And this comes from the channel that is renowned for screening films that have loads of nudity/sex/adult content/violence... and they're afraid of a few quotes concerning mentals and speed... get a life...

For crying out loud...there's so much of this pointless crap that I can't be bothered to come up with a constructive comment because I'd spend my whole life doing such.

Man Australia usually isn't this PC crazy. SBS showed a documentary where a human body was dissected. That was the whole show. It was really gross.

But lets look on the bright side. They said it would take them 12 months to decide if they were going to show the episode. That just means they are going to show it and wait a year til all the hot air cools down.

But even if they don't show it, what the fuck do I care?

you should care, why should a bunch of whiny fucks in another county have anything to do with what you can and cant see.

man i hate ppl

Look, its very simple. If you're offended, then don't watch.

Exactly. In last season they burned down two caravn trailers and the BBC received
over a hundred complaints. You know, if a host of a motoring show likes to poke fun at caravaners from time to time, why bother watching it in the first place?

I hate SBS now. They just suck.

Its funny, cause right after top gear, south park is aired... which one would you consider to be more offensive?

Remember how I said SBS and ABC were the best two channels... well cancel SBS from that sentence now. Bloody idiots.

I can't believe how many cry babies are out there. What the hell, as they said. Just flip the god damn channel!!!!!!!!! :wall:

Oh for crying out loud!

Why all the people are so sensitive? Being shattered just because someone asked Hammond if he's mental is just ridiculous, utterly stupid.

The program was also criticised by Brake, Britain's national road safety charity, which said it was "shocked and appalled" by Clarkson's comment that "speed kills" while pointing at Hammond after the crash was shown.
What a dull bunch this Brake is. :bangin:

Its funny, cause right after top gear, south park is aired... which one would you consider to be more offensive?

I agree, and i'm sure south park recieves 1000's of complaints each week.

Blame Britain. :p

and in 12 months time when it finally airs we will of long forgotten of this thread, SBS are crap they never air seem to air tv series anywhere near the actual air date.

I think everyone in the UK and all Top Gear fans around the world will have to realise some people just will not get it. :(