PC-TV connection, will it work?

SchumacherM

Car(s)
Fiat Stilo 1.8 16V
For reasons I'm not willing to explain, I have to connect my PC to the family TV using a VGA port on the PC, then a VGA-rca yellow video adaptor (http://www.vatgia.com/pictures_fullsize/vaj1270438784.jpg --pic ) and then an rca audio-video to scart cable ( http://www.napeto.com/images/Image/Kabli/84093.jpg - pic ).

Will this connection work? I'm concerned about the vga-video part, the sound will work..
I must stress that I only have a VGA port on the PC and a SCART port on the TV to work with. Nothing else.

Won't work unless your VGA port also produces a composite signal, which, as far as i know, only some rather esoteric Matrox cards from the turn of the century do.

Many seemingly useless adapters exist simply to prove that such things could be built and sold to people who didn't make note of exactly what adapter they really needed.

Many seemingly useless adapters exist simply to prove that such things could be built and sold to people who didn't make note of exactly what adapter they really needed.

THIS. On top of it, if you are satisfied with TV SD as the maximum resolution and the colors being way off, the cable might just do the job.

Is the family TV a flat screen or is it a CRT?

I have learned with trying various things and failing a bit it is rather dependent on how fancy your computer is. If you have a fancy computer you only need this sort of thing:
image.jpg

If I plug that thing into my older macbook and then into the tv it works fine, but it doesn't with mom's cheesy little netbook. I have a stupidappleport to HDMI cord for my new one and that works fine with no extra things too. My in my room tv is extra awesome because it just has a VGA port on the back so you buy no stupid confusing cables.
If you have an unfriendly computer like mom's netbook I am told you need some sort of box adapter thing.

Won't work unless your VGA port also produces a composite signal, which, as far as i know, only some rather esoteric Matrox cards from the turn of the century do.

Got a stack of those at work, along with their stupid who-knows-how-many pin plugs which split to two VGA plugs. I can't see much good coming from that adapter.

Mine didn't have one of the audio things but that was the only pic that came up when I googled.
It doesn't matter to me since my tv has meh speakers and it is currently using some Bose computer ones anyway :lol:

There only is a SCART plug on the TV, so I vote CRT.

My parents just don't want to live in the 21st century.. <_<

So...any other idea how to get the computers VGA signal to the SCART plug on the TV? Maybe I can do better with the DVI port on the card instead of the VGA?

Yes, I have looked at these in our shops, nothing under 40? over here...but that seems quite cheap. I must now go off and lurk on E-bay.

Yes, I have looked at these in our shops, nothing under 40? over here...but that seems quite cheap. I must now go off and lurk on E-bay.

That'll work. You'll still be stuck at SD resolution, though.

Might as well buy a cheap GFX card that comes with a real TV-out connector, S-Video or composite or whatnot.

Yep, but you'll still be stuck with SD.

Didn't my comment about parents and 21st century lead you to conclude that it's an 8 year old CRT box? :D Perhaps not.

Anyhoo the little box of witchcraft has been ordered and I'm expecting it here in some time for 20? with shipment included. Not a bad deal =) No more ''Son, our herp isn't derping the movie, come and herp it for us''

Last edited: