PC vs. Mac , Which one are you ?!

PC vs. Mac , Which one are you ?!

• Total voters
Your admins are idiots....

The point I am making is that our Mac's have no admins. They simply arrived, were switched on, had OS and software installed and now work 24/7/363 without causing us any bother, nor any need to employ people to maintain, mollycoddle or stroke their delicate sensibilities. They just work, and keep on doing so with no fuss.

Aratoga, apart from a mistaken cap 'I' in Windoze, along with its deliberate misspelling, and the other deliberate misspelling of 'w*rk' as I regard that as an offensive word, WTF is your problem with my post. Pedant ! And look, I used a second paragraph just for you.

Aratoga, apart from a mistaken cap 'I' in Windoze, along with its deliberate misspelling, and the other deliberate misspelling of 'w*rk' as I regard that as an offensive word, WTF is your problem with my post. Pedant ! And look, I used a second paragraph just for you.

The deliberate misspelling and lack of paragraphs annoy me. It is hard to read a large block of text.

I use both, I choose Mac.

Posted this on a ?950 10 year old Powerbook G3 Pismo, which at the time was ?200 more expensive than an equivilent Windoze laptop, but it's still working strong and does everything I ask it to. Fitted a new (bigger) HDD myself (?40), and changed the DVD ROM drive for a RW (?23), but apart from that it's cost me nowt over the purchase price. My next door neighbour confessed to having FIVE laptops in the same time period, and my mate who runs a graphics company and has resisted Mac (even though he knows that in that area they rule) for years went through 4 HDD's, 3 motherboards, and a variety of other failures in one year alone. He now has Mac, and is much less stressed. At w*rk I have 10 lined up running print digital workflow processing and associated applications (Quark, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat etc) and the previous G4 Quicksilvers ran trouble-free and without maintenance or modification for nearly 9 years, whereby we changed them for Mac Pro's to enable software upgrades which needed higher spec. Our rack of Dell Poweredge WIndoze based servers have a 24/7/365 service agreement and are stuffed with virus protection, and still fail monthly. We lost 3 days to a virus last year, costing us ?12k+. Anyone who says Mac's are expensive is only looking at the purchase price, not considering lifetime longevity and the production benefits associated.
Oh boy, anecdotal evidence! Can I try?

I have an older iMac at work. It crashes constantly, has random slowdowns, and some basic functions I need for work are not possible to do, as it crashes every time I try. It also frequently pretends that files which exist are not there, and I have to go to other computers on the network to find them. That's really fun! Then there was that day I lost a morning of work because the computer decided it was too cool to work, and broke the file while crashing. Awesome! In essence, my job would be easier if I had a Windows machine located within an angry bear.

Maybe it's just mine, maybe other Macs really do "just work". Then my workplace wouldn't have a chorus of "these FUCKING computers" ricocheting throughout day in, day out. Oh it does? Well, that's interesting.

My old windows machine, same age, no problems until I dissected it to give my parents more hard drive space and RAM. Current Vista machine? No problems in three years. Funny, that.

Last edited:
Linux is usually best for servers, anyway.

More anecdotal evidence: in my 11th grade math classroom, every single eMac in the room was slowly dying due to a known design flaw in the motherboards. Meanwhile the rest of the school ran on older Pentium III Dell boxes.

Macs break too. They generally have good hardware but you do pay a premium for the exclusive OS, and to me that is not worth it, since I don't like the OS in the first place.

First comp we had was a mac, and I loved it.

Second comp we had was a PC. Loved it even more.

We stuck with PCs forever and they're fantastic.

When I was doing research work in high school I had to use unix (Solaris if anyone's curious), which was difficult to navigate around in the beginning but I liked the challenge. We used linux at Berkeley and I love both Ubuntu and OpenSUSE.

Now at work I'm using a mac and it's not bad but I prefer my PC more than anything.

So PC and Linux for me.

The point I am making is that our Mac's have no admins. They simply arrived, were switched on, had OS and software installed and now work 24/7/363 without causing us any bother, nor any need to employ people to maintain, mollycoddle or stroke their delicate sensibilities. They just work, and keep on doing so with no fuss.

What do your Macs do? It's one thing to say that they are running forever with no problem its another to look at usage. We have all kinds of servers at work from old UNIX to Solaris, to Linux to various Windows machines and I can tell you that it is VERY dependent on what they do. If you have a Win95 box that is literally just sitting there and doing nothing it likely will never crash. If you have a 24/7 RedHat server that has to serve GBs of realtime data it's gonna get fucked up at some point or another...

What do your Macs do?

Process hundreds, ney thousands of magazine pages a day for one of the UK's largest printing company. Providing data to plate solutions for 26 printing presses over 5 sites from either hi-res source files (Quark/InDesign + images/fonts) or final PFD's. The Mac's never stop, with 12 operatives processing work continuously over 24/7 with only 2 days at Xmas plus new years day off.

We do have a raft of PC's in the offices which require an admin bod to keep them running. He never comes into our department unless our server is having one of its strops :D The office PC's are on an 18 month turnaround, as experience has shown us that they don't last much longer than that, and we prefer to get rid before the problems affect workflow.

The guy whose Mac is crashing, what OS are you running, as I haven't had a full OS crash in 7 years in OS X, and even an app crash is rare. In fact, I was really shocked last weekend when Safari crashed due to a dodgy Flash file, but it was hardly a disaster. Oh, and the file name thing is a little annoying, 28 character max, making it a tad problematic when sharing networks with Windoze, and with people who can't name things well. If you can't make it identifiable in under 28 characters you need another job !

Last edited:
There's a range of OSX versions, mine's an older one (10.3) on one of those desk lamp iMacs, almost everyone else has a newer version. Not sure what the adorable animal designations are on those. All crash constantly, none work properly, and we have people come in constantly trying to figure out why.

And the JPG business isn't exactly going to be quite the same as server duty. That said, the Macs here are supposed to be on JPG duty and they're constantly crashing and breaking, so hell, maybe it's more complicated than I suspect. Even ripping images from a camera is an ordeal on these machines - took three attempts to get it to recognize a coworker's camera Monday, sometimes with mine it just decides that, you know what, we don't need to recognize that camera until a restart. I actually have a several page document outlining the variety of ways my computer has broken in a month, in the hopes of getting a replacement machine.

A friend at a different business has to use a Snow Leopard Macbook Pro for his work now, he says the track pad is nice but the OS is a mess that doesn't work properly as well. Man, will I ever meet someone in person whose Mac actually works properly all of the time?

Last edited:
If you wanna go for a coffee with me, then yes, you will. Every device I have ever plugged into any Mac I have ever worked on has worked instantly, straight out of the box, no need for updates, drivers or whatever. Oh, except a Canon scanner which Canon admitted had a dodgy driver supplied to Apple as part of the OS generic drivers, and needed two items moving from one folder to another. Every digital camera has automatically prompted iPhoto or Image Capture (or A.N.Other) to launch (depending on which I have chosen as default) and images have downloaded quickly and easily. I even added Bluetooth to my ancient Powerbook (made before it was invented) and in the box was two 1/2" thick manuals and three installer discs. The whole lot went in the bin, as all I needed to do was plug the dongle in and it worked, no fuss, no bother. I suspect the Mac isn't the weak link here !

If you want to see an OS crash, go to my old middle/high school. Macs break just like anything else. Maybe they break less often, but to say you've never heard of an OS crash is just absurd.

I give you the gray screen of death (Google pic):

8fc5b062068c4390a91bebbf35a0451f.jpg

I came to be quite familiar with that error.

I've had Macs crash. Modern versions of Windows aren't bad (flacky drivers are the main reason now a days for it to go under).

Last edited:
I haven't seen that screen for many a year, and in truth have only ever seen it a couple of times right back in the early days of OS X. My laptop has done it when I've jarred the HDD with a physical knock, but as for a true OS crash I could count it on one hand in 10+ years of Mac use.

I've had to fuck with my g/f's MacBook a few times when it decided to be retarded. Namely Snow Leopard upgrade totally fucked it up had to do a complete reinstall of the OS otherwise it ran like molasses.

In my experience 99% of problems are either 3rd party software or hardware issues. I have had iTunes utterly destroy my laptop for no reason whatsoever. I also had Linux crash due to video drivers.

There is really nothing that is better about Apple vs any other OS maker when it comes to stability. Granted OS X is basically BSD and BSD is nearly bullet proof (I have a router running on it) but in my experience all major OS's perform about as well when it comes to uptime.

I've had to fuck with my g/f's MacBook a few times when it decided to be retarded.

That must hurt. Do you have a USB adapter at least?

I have a Windows Desktop and a Macbook for College. But I'm rarely working on my desktop anymore so I'm more or less converted to Mac. Both have there upsides and downsides. For basic use I really love Mac OS, but Windows based PC's are just more powerful for less money, so perfect for an occasional game. But I don't really do that anymore, so most of the time it just sits there, collecting dust.

Macs for Laptops.

PCs for desktops.

/thread

Mac: Hey there PC, what are you doing?
PC: Playing a game.
Mac: Oh cool, which one?
PC: All of them.
Mac: Oh...

That sarcasm aside, I could never justify the price premium on Macs either. That, and the primary use I have for my computer is gaming. That pretty much rules out anything that isn't Windows.