Pentium V. AMD reliability video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well..I will stick to AMD..since I'm not stupid enough to pull my heatsink and cooler off.

Ah yes, the old Tom's Hardware video, where the Palomino core is the "new" Athlon. :roll:

That video is really, really old. Since then, AMD has come out with the Thoroughbred A & B, Barton, Clawhammer (K8 series 64bit), Winchester, and now Venice and San Diego. Believing that video today is like refusing to buy the new Golf because you saw a video of an old VW Bug in a crash.

So what's the message here? Don't take off your HSF while you're computer is running? Gee, thanks for the heads up, because I was planning on doing that just right now...

Got an AMD 64 3500+ and haven't had any issues with it... it just used to shutdown my computer when I installed a whole bunch of stuff in my case without extra cooling and an extra exhaust fan took care of that.

I think Pentiums are the ones with problems now... those Prescotts make a hell of a lot of heat.

P.S. Greatest music ever since Bach.

I'm pretty shure the amd 64 bit cores actually have protection against frying. I saw a newer test somewhere, and the intells actually failed it (non dual core chips if i remember right).

That being said.. my p4 is overclocked and i'm not really sweating bullets.

All the protection came after this video was published in 2000, so it does not say anything about "modern" AMD cpu's.
But I switched to Intel after this video, so I guess it had some impact ;)

Haha... I didn't know anyone would still use that video as reference. That's like saying "I'm not going to drive a chevy because of the corvair"

Status
Not open for further replies.