Pepsi Throwback

Just a reminder to the sugar fans that it's the time of year to find real sugar Coke in the seasonal section of your grocery with the Passover food. Just remember to leave some for the Jews.

Wait what it's not avalible all the time? I pity you now.

not sure if this has been mentioned but Pepsi "throwback" and pepsi you can get in a glass bottle at just about any Carneceria /Mexican food market is the same. Throwback is just how it's made outside the US, though I've had some of the stuff in the white labeled bottle and it don't taste quite right.

Just a reminder to the sugar fans that it's the time of year to find real sugar Coke in the seasonal section of your grocery with the Passover food. Just remember to leave some for the Jews.

This may be a stupid question, but:

Why do you need real sugar instead of the other stuff for Passover? Just curious...

Because corn is a self-levening grain and isn't kosher for passover (rice is also not allowed for the same reason).

When I want "real" soda I go to my local Suburban Snob Shop and buy Mexican Coke for an extra dollar.

I'm not sure it's been pointed out in this thread yet (apologies if it has), but one of the reasons we in the US are so dependent on HFCS is that because we grow so much corn, we can't really grow anything else. Corn is so disastrous to soil life that most farmers can only grow corn and soybeans on their fields, but they make so much money (partly because our government gives them that money) on corn that they have no reason to do anything else.

The corn lobby is extremely strong in the US, mostly because they know their farmers would become pretty much useless if we stopped trying to use all this corn they produce.

Last edited:
On the other hand your goverment could give them that money to shift production to something else if they wanted too. I wonder how profitable corn would be compared to grains without subsidies.

On the other hand your goverment could give them that money to shift production to something else if they wanted too.
But the problem is, as long as we've been destroying our own soil with this shit, the time we would have to wait and the money we would have to invest immediately in order to see any recuperated soil that could grow anything more useful would be just too disastrous. We would basically be Jobs Banking the American corn grower while they waited for the government to repair their soil.

I wonder how profitable corn would be compared to grains without subsidies.
Not very, as artificially inflated as the corn market is right now. As I understand it, even when E85 busted after so many farmers and lobbies invested so much in it, most of the big corn farmers didn't even flinch.

Just came across this article at work: Major Brands No Longer Sweet on High-Fructose Corn Syrup

It's written from a marketers point of view, and gets across the point that consumer demand is now forcing food and beverage producers to switch from HFCS to real sugar.

Regarding the conversation above; Let's not forget the ludicrous sugar lobbyists in the U.S. They have kept sugar prices artificially high for decades now, making its use in large scale consumer goods unprofitable, when compared to the over abundant corn based HFCS. Import taxes on foreign sugar are insanely high (the rest of the world gets it dirt cheap), all the while sugar producers in the U.S. are laughing their way to the bank with subsided taxpayer money, while the rest of us (the consumers) get the double shaft, i.e. HFCS in our food and artificially high sugar prices. Government protectionism FTL.

This went on sale the other week (it's a permanent addition now! :D) and I bought 9 cases.

Link to other thread?

I just go to the mexican market down the road and get the stuff bottled in mexico.

I <3 Mexicans.

Cellos88gt, see post above my last one from 6 months ago.

BTW, anywhere in Souther California you can always get glass bottled pepsi at a CVS for a surprisingly decent price. Oh and now most Circle K's.