Peterbilt Permanently Closing Nashville Plant

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
Tangentally related, as Peterbilts are part of the automotive landscape. From AP via Nashville's Channel 5 News:

Peterbilt Permanently Closing Nashville Plant
Posted: Sep 29, 2009 9:14 AM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Peterbilt Corp. permanently closed its truck plant in Nashville.

A local newspaper quoted plant manager Larry Vessels who said the decision means the loss of about 390 jobs at the idled plant.

Peterbilt manufactures over-the-road commercial trucks and said it will consolidate work at its plant in Denton, Texas.

Peterbilt General Manager Bill Jackson called the move "a difficult, but necessary decision" because sales have dropped about 70 percent in the last 18 months.

United Auto Workers Union Local 1832 President Mike Pardue said the Texas plant is nonunion and the UAW believes that's the main reason the Madison facility is the one being closed.

Vessels said a labor dispute that stopped production at the plant last June had nothing to do with the closure

Gee... looks like the unions may be starting to get a clue. As for Vessels' statement, well... given the people in power and their ties to unions, you really can't say that 'yes, we closed the union plant because it was union' anymore.

You don't really have to say it was because of the UAW. Just say higher running costs and inefficiency and it says everything you need.

Yup.

In any case, my neighbors up in Denton will be more than happy to build more quality products. :D

The workers are still out there on strike. Been closed since June '08, and they think they'll get their jobs back. :rolleyes:

Of course, it's not like the plant actually ever got anything done anyway, as the main entrance has been used more for feet than wheels since 2002.

aapissedoffpete.jpg

blair-trucking-peterbilt-gravel-truck.jpg

Mhmmmm.... Peterbilts..... soooo cooool, so chromey!!!

"Only fags drive Peterbilts" Something I once saw scrawled on the wall of a truck stop.

Having known american trucks only from trucker movies (Smokey and the Bandit, Convoy, Duel, even if that's not a trucker movie) i was shocked at how SMALL these things are in real life. As a European i imagined then to be at least twice the size of, say, a TGX MAN. I imagined it to be huge. Well, as i had to find out, it might even be a bit smaller than a european truck.

But, back on topic, seems like some more people will have to make a living off country music now.

For the love of all that is holy and good, I do NOT want those people making the music I listen to on the radio.

Eh, if they keep up their habit of constantly going on strike, they won't be making any music at all.

Having known american trucks only from trucker movies (Smokey and the Bandit, Convoy, Duel, even if that's not a trucker movie) i was shocked at how SMALL these things are in real life. As a European i imagined then to be at least twice the size of, say, a TGX MAN. I imagined it to be huge. Well, as i had to find out, it might even be a bit smaller than a european truck.

American truck and trailer combinations are DOT limited to 40 US tons (36.3 metric tons).

Wait, wait, wait. I distinctly remember them closing that plant "for good" when I lived in Nashville 4 or 5 years ago.