Petite passenger booted from Southwest flight

I think we should put all the fatass people in a fatass camp. Bring back the old leper colonies. Then we should forcibly sterilize them and isolate them from all external contact from the outside world so the precious skinny people don't have to see their nasty bodies or think about their nasty existence. The world would improve immediately.

If fatass had a ticket for that plane and wasn't flying standby, whatever. Either way, being a fatass is not ok, they shouldn't be allowed the rights that we not morbidly obese people enjoy. Subjugate the whales!

On an unrelated note, fat people of the world, stop fucking standing on escalators and get your fat ass out of my way. I obviously can't push your elephantine figure out of the way because I would rather not be crushed and smothered to death when your atrophed cankled cellulite-city legs lose balance and you fall over. Escalators are stairs; you stand on stairs. This is why you're fat.

WTF? :blink:

(not directed at your post fly!)

What do you define as "fatass" though? Some people would say that certain members of my immediate family are "fat" and are "lazy and too self-indulgent". I personally think it's genetics (controversial yes, but not a disproven reason). Nearly every woman (and a couple of the men) in my family is overweight to an extent (none majorly i.e. to the point where they need a second seat on a plane) and nearly all the men (and me and one other female family member*) are "normal". Nobody eats excessively (but nobody fasts either), everybody is active (most of them have jobs that require them to be constantly on their feet and moving around), etc. I just hate it (and it hurts me a lot) when people look disparagingly at those who are overweight and judge them as automatically being lazy, slobs, etc when they may be more active than 90% of the population and, sadly, that is just how their body works.

*our "normality"- as far as weight goes! :lol:- is due to a super quick metabolism (only females on my maternal side to have it, all the other females have slow metabolisms). Paternal side is pretty similar though- males thinner, females tend to be "larger". Really annoying, as diets and exercise do not work well for them.

However a slow metabolism also means that you need to eat less as the energy is distributed more evenly throughout the day.

This thread took a harsh and icky turn. Some people legitimately can't help the fact that they're fat, for whatever reason. When that's the case, there's usually an underlying medical problem going on and I can respect that (and sympathize with it to some degree--goodness knows, I've got my own set of health problems to deal with).

But it's just that: a problem. Not something to be rationalized away as "okay." It's not healthy, and I'm tired of seeing people who probably just need to get off their bums or eat less try and push for "acceptance" of a problem that should make you uncomfortable. Is there an issue with society having an unrealistic and often unhealthy idea of what a healthy size is? Yes. Not everyone is healthy when they're stick-thin, and too often, that's not the size they're meant to be and pushing it causes more harm than good. Does this mean that obesity should be acceptable? Absolutely not. Obviously I'm not for taunting people because they're fluffy, but being big and out of shape is something that should make you uncomfortable. Now, this is a rant that's only tangentially related to this story, but I'm tired of hearing people try and force the notion that obesity is something that needs to be accepted. As with all health problems, it's something that needs to be handled with a bit of tact, but it isn't really a condition that needs to be excused or celebrated, IMHO.

I have no idea if the passenger in question has some sort of issue that's preventing her from being a more healthy size. I can see the need to handle that situation fairly delicately just in case there's more than just laziness/eating too much crap at work there. It doesn't appear to have been handled very tactfully at all, though--hence the problem.

But for pete's sake, I agree with what another poster said--if you require two seats, you probably should have to pay for both.

Last edited:
Just remember, for every fatass there's 100 losers staring at a monitor right now posting on the Internet instead of interacting with ACTUAL human beings :)

Steve

But for pete's sake, I agree with what another poster said--if you require two seats, you probably should have to pay for both.

Pretty much depends on what you actually buy when you purchase an airline ticket.
Transportation of one human from A to B by airplane?
One seat in a certain plane, no matter how it is used?

If it is the latter then you better cough up more money for the second seat, if it is the former then tough luck for the airline.