Petraeus: Koran burning plan will endanger US troops

Fuck you. I have my Hallowe'en costume all finished and now it's "disrespectful". If I can't go as a zionist conspiracy what can I go as?

:p
Un joke tres petite

What does a zionist conspiracy look like?

Guys in yamakas with dark glasses and suit cases of money?

I thought that's what all jews look like? :p
oh_snap.jpg

If I were a rich man
Daddle diddle diddle dum
I wouldn't have to work hard
Daddle diddle diddle dum
All day long. ...

They all look like Topol.

Actually the thing with the threat of destroying stuff that is holy for the muslims, already worked in history! I wonder if Colbert knows about that ;)

When sultan Saladin conquered Jerusalem after it had been occupied by the Christians for decades as a result of the first crusade, he planned to kill all Christians within the city's walls in an act of retaliation. There was no chance in hell that the city could be defended against Saladin's army.

However, during the siege of Jerusalem, the Christians threatened to destroy the Dome of the Rock, one of the holiest buildings for muslims, if Saladin attacked. So in the end they negotiated a peaceful solution (which included a lot of money changing the owner, too) and the city was taken over peacefully without anyone getting killed (except maybe Christian pride)!

So you see: Having enough leverage actually helps preventing violence, as long as an acceptable agreement can be found for both sides :)

Of course the (peaceful) fall of Jerusalem triggered the third crusade with lots of other bloodbaths, but that's another story ;)

Last edited:
Why don't the American authorities finally step in and stop this idiot before he stirs up any more shit?

Why don't the American authorities finally step in and stop this idiot before he stirs up any more shit?

Because it's the land of the free. And he has the freedom of getting himself killed by religious fundamentalists as much as any other idiot. No need for the authorities to step in. Let it run its course and the problem will solve itself.

Unfortunately the problem didn't resolve itself and now innocent people are dead.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/04/01/afghanistan.un.attack/index.html?hpt=T1#

12 killed in Afghanistan after protests over reported Quran burning

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- At least 12 people were killed Friday in an attack on a U.N. compound in Afghanistan that followed a demonstration against the reported burning last month of a Quran in Florida, authorities and a U.N. source with knowledge of the events said.
Eight workers for the United Nations and four Afghans were killed, said Abdul Rauof Taj, security director of Balkh province. At least 24 people were injured, he said.
In a written statement, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, citing preliminary reports, said it appeared that three international staffers and four international security officers were killed in the attack.

UN staff killed during protest in northern Afghanistan
1 April 2011 Last updated at 16:31 ET

At least seven foreign UN workers have been killed after protesters stormed a UN compound in the Afghan city of Mazar-e Sharif, officials say.

The compound was set alight as hundreds protested over the burning of the Koran in a US church last month. Several demonstrators have also been killed.

Witnesses said the protest began peacefully but suddenly turned violent.

A local police spokesman told the BBC the city was now under control and a number of people had been arrested.

Dan McNorton, spokesman for the UN mission in Afghanistan, said: "Three international UNAMA (United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan) staff members were killed, and four international armed security guards were killed."

Initial reports said eight foreign UN workers had died.

Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt later confirmed that one of the dead was a Swede, 27-year-old UN worker Joakim Dungel.

The guards are reported to be from Nepal.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon described it as "an outrageous and cowardly attack".

US President Barack Obama also condemned the attack "in the strongest possible terms", saying the work of the UN "is essential to building a stronger Afghanistan".

The top UN representative in Afghanistan, Staffan De Mistura, has flown to the area to handle the matter.

Weapons seized

Witnesses said a crowd of several hundred staged a protest outside the Blue Mosque in the city after Friday prayers.

The crowds moved to outside the UN compound, where a small group broke away.

Munir Ahmad Farhad, a spokesman for Balkh province, said the group seized weapons from the guards and opened fire before storming the building.

Local police spokesman Lala M Ahmadzai told the BBC the attackers had used guns and knives.

He said that the situation was under control and a number of suspected attackers had been arrested.

Officials have declared an emergency in the city - major roads in and out have been blocked.

'Hunted down'

Kieran Dwyer, director of communications for the UN mission in Afghanistan, said the UN workers had been trapped inside the compound and "hunted down" in what was an "overwhelming situation".

"These are civilian people, unarmed, here to do human rights work, to work for peace in Afghanistan - they were not prepared for this situation," he told the BBC.

Mr Dwyer said it was too early to tell how the attack happened or why the UN was targeted, but that the organisation would now take extra security measures.

But he added: "The UN is here to stay. We're here to work with the people to help them achieve peace, and this sort of thing just highlights how important that is."

On 20 March, Pastor Wayne Sapp set light to a copy of the Koran at a church in Florida.

The burning took place under the supervision of Terry Jones, another US pastor who last year drew condemnation over his aborted plan to burn copies of the Koran on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

Protests were held in several other Afghan cities on Friday - which demonstrators in Herat had called a "day of anger", Afghanistan's Noor TV channel reports.

The BBC's Paul Wood in Kabul says Mazar-e Sharif is known to be a relatively peaceful part of the country, but that the Florida incident will raise questions of whether the city will be able to make the transition from foreign to Afghan security control later this year.

Our correspondent says that in a deeply religiously conservative country such as Afghanistan, that act has the power to inflame passions in otherwise peaceful areas.

Mr Jones told the BBC he was not responsible for the actions of the protesters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12940014

I know some of you will be tempted to blame the pastor, don't. The only people at fault here are the murderers who killed the UN workers.

Pastor's a jerkwad. The guys who charged the UN are killers.

tldr, religion stupid.

I don't even wanna know what kind of psychological problems you'd need to have to kill a bunch of people over a book that someone doesn't like on the other side of the world.

I agree. There's world of difference between being an asshole and being a killer.

Yes. Unfortunately, though, there also have been killers among the soldiers of the ISAF troups.

I don't even wanna know what kind of psychological problems you'd need to have to kill a bunch of people over a book that someone doesn't like on the other side of the world.

First of all, you have to be extremely pissed about something other than a book burning.

For example about the countless "accidental" killings of civilians or even blatant murders committed by soldiers of the ISAF, like recently with that "kill team", which was all over the news.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not defending the mob who killed those U.N. people but frankly I find the outcry about it extremely hypocritical, when there isn't at least the same level of dismay and outrage about all the "collateral damage" of the international forces, like for example bombing a wedding party.

You see, that is the bitch of having a "liberation force" in a foreign country: No matter how well you mean and no matter how welcome you were at first, after some time you will be considered an occupation force and become the enemy for the people, especially when the ongoing war against partisans continues to take its toll among civilians.

So before you shout out your indignation, consider the whole picture.

This isn't so much about a book. But the burning of a Koran by a Christian minister is a provocation for people, who are already extremely pissed. Expect more of such outbreaks of hate in the nearer future for what seems an unsignificant reason. It's only a question of time, before the whole Afghan population will turn against the ISAF troups and only a corrupt elite will be loyal to them.

The "war against terror" is currently producing its future terrorists.

Last edited:
This isn't so much about a book. But the burning of a Koran by a Christian minister is a provocation for people, who are already extremely pissed. Expect more of such outbreaks of hate in the nearer future for what seems an unsignificant reason.

Oh yes, because after having troops operating in your country, killing your people (good and bad) for 7 years, one douche burning books half a world away is totally going to send rational people right over the edge.

If the idiot pastor had burned an Afghani cookbook, do you think it would get that kind of blood crazed religious overreaction?

My only indignation is of the whole mess of idiotic fundamentalist thinking going on at both ends of this story. Some retard pastor who thinks burning a book is going to do anything good, and some fucking psycho fundies that take way too much offense from it.

For the record I have the exact same reaction to the retards who get upset over the burning of the stars and stripes. Both for the idiots who burn the flag thinking it might actually do them some good and the morons who see it and shout about disrespect. Yeah, so fucking what?

If people focused their retaliatory efforts on things that did real damage the world would be much nicer.

Last edited: