Unveiled: Peugeot 308 R hot hatch revealed

Paul_The_Aussie

Car(s)
Ford Focus XR5T
l_1024-620x414.jpg

Peugeot has revealed a hot hatch version of its new 308.

The Peugeot 308 R concept takes aim at the big guns in the hot hatch segment, but it does so with a smaller than expected petrol powerplant.

The 308 R concept has the same 1.6-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine producing 199kW of power and 330Nm of torque that is seen in the soon-to-arrive RCZ-R - close to the outputs of the recently revealed Volkswagen Golf R.

Despite all that push, the 308 R?s combined fuel use is 6.3L/100km.
Advertisement

It sends its grunt to the front wheels via a six-speed manual gearbox, and there?s a Torsen differential to help get the power down to the ground. It sits 26mm lower than the standard car, with large 380mm front and 330mm rear brakes to help it pull up. It rides of 19-inch alloys.

In terms of design, the 308 R boasts a bold new bumper with large air intakes, as well as a revised bonnet, lower side skirts and a chunkier rear bar. It also carries a striking colour combination and ?oblique cut line?, the latter of which is said to be inspired by the eye-catching Onyx supercar concept.

Peugeot Australia public relations and communications manager Jaedene Hudson says the car is only a concept at this stage, and there?s no confirmation on whether the car would go into production.

However, given the brand?s current push towards offering performance variants - such as the new 208 GTi and the incoming RCZ-R - we?d suggest that if a production version were forthcoming, it would be likely to be offered locally.

The new 308 R concept will be revealed at the 2013 Frankfurt motor show in September.

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/peugeot-308-r-hot-hatch-revealed-20130827-2sn0d.html

Do it Peugeot, you know you want to... :)

I trust the French that they'll mess this up somehow.

Who thought that paint scheme was a good idea? And that front air dam... A Golf R bumper on a 308 does not a hot hatch make.

Also, 1.6L and 200kW, I predict lag. The rest of it sounds alright, would be interesting to see if Peugeot can play with the big boys again.

I myself was reffering to Peugeot being more than qualified to half arse this and somehow ruin the promise. I have 407, 307, 607, reasons to believe that. :lol:

270 bhp, out of an 1.6 litre 4-Banger? I can see where this is going after some Boyracer action and some Boyracer spannering...

4308508626_2d593ec726_z.jpg

Now seriously, WTF does downsizing have to do whith sporty cars? I mean if you buy an Golf GTI for instance you probably don't want save fuel all the time (In which case you rather buy a Prius), Hot Hatches usually where ment to be small cars, whith -BIG- engines, not the other way round! (since compact hatchbacks happens to be as wide and heavy as an E34 5-series)

I do like the colour scheme, very 'Tesco Value Veyron'

Joking aside I think it's the best looking regular car they've made in ages, with definite hints of 306 about the styling. If this drives half as well as a 306 GTI, it'll be good. Not exactly holding my breath in regards to that, though.

Last edited:
[...]Hot Hatches usually where ment to be small cars, whith -BIG- engines, not the other way round! (since compact hatchbacks happens to be as wide and heavy as an E34 5-series)
Hot hatchbacks are supposed to have powerful engines, not big ones IMO. Downsizing also saves weight. And saving weight especially at the front end in a FWD car is also something very good dynamically.

But I share the worries concerning reliablity with small, powerfull engines ...

As for the concept, I?m not sold. For me a hot-hatchback should not be that 'outlandish' with dat ass and that Steven Tyler smile ...

Last edited:
Yeah they might save weight by using some lightweight spaceage materials, but the simple fact is, that the formely small compact hatches became heavyer and bigger than they used to be. The current 308 weights up to 1400 kg, compared to an 80's 309, which was only 990 kg, it's quite alot heavyer. This new one is announced to weight just 1165 kg, I want to see, if it's going to be reallity. :cool:

Last edited:
[...] compared to an 80's 309
Yes, and comparing it to a Model T, those hatchbacks from the 80ies are also fat pigs ... ;)

I?m going out on a limb here (since someone will prob wiki the shit out of this statement), but these days are the first time since perhaps WW2, that cars are actually getting lighter again then the last generation of the same vehicle. While still growing in size and not compromising safety. That is some achievement and especially good for the performance-loving driver ... wich is why I welcome our new weight saving overlords ...

But like I said, I too hope that achievement is not made at the cost of reliablity ...

I was referring to the 147 GTA. It's full of character - even if it is slightly schizophrenic and tried to kill you at every corner. It is, however, not an especially capable car. I'm talking about handling and speed, which I think is what you're looking for in these headline grabbing super hot hatches.

Last edited:
Looking at a Clarkson review, where he just pushed too much wasn't really a good measure :p Sure, the GTA was no Clio RS but it can hold it's own. A few upgrades and it's quite fancy. Hint: you can upgrade to the wonderful Q2 front diff. :)

As for the Pug...I'll believe it when I see it. :D