Unveiled: Peugeot 308 R hot hatch revealed

Just one general 308 question. In some shots I saw, the thing in the middle of the grill where the Peugeot lettering is looks as if there are LEDs beneath it. Can anyone confirm this?
Topic wise: I hate it as I hate all Peugeots after one once flooded my computer which was in the boot...

Last edited:
Desperate times at Peugeot. They've tried cheap and cheerful for a few years with sales that fell way short of their targets, now they're trying to take their models upmarket to compete with the Germans as the Koreans are gobbling up their customers for small/medium cheap/reliable diesels. They have to do something different. They have a huge issue with the perception of quality, a decade's worth of unreliable and unappealing products have really ruined the good work that the 505, 405, 205 did.

So, the 308R, why would anyone buy this over (say) a Golf Gti MK6 ? Where is the flair, the innovation, the sex appeal ? Apart from a half-baked paint scheme this looks like every other blobby box they've churned out over the last decade. But - I really want it to succeed. Not because I have any intention of buying a 308R but because I have the hope that a once great name will somehow, someday, rediscover their flair, engineering ingenuity, and have some appeal again. I want a viable alternative to the obvious choices (Eg; Golf Gti) but for now, the 308R isn't it.

Bon chance, Peugeot.

Last edited:
blobby box

That's the best description of their whole model range through the last decade I've ever seen.

And you make a good point. Couldn't have said it better myself.

According to the first tests I've read, the new 308 seems to be the best car of its category in terms of driving pleasure, so there's quite a good chance of the R being a really good hot-hatch.

Having watched a video of this thing a Frankfurt, I have to ask; why didn't they finish painting the thing?

Insert obvious joke about the French giving up before the job being done.....

Insert obvious joke about the French giving up before the job being done.....

Completely seriously, does anyone think the half baked paint job looks good?