Peugeot 605 SV24, the slumbering sedan.

Hemihead

Car(s)
Dacia Duster, Nissan WD21, Vaz 21023
A little note on one of my cars that is in hibernation at the moment.

In 2004, i got a nice job with a good pay. Since my means of transportation then was a Fiat Uno 45 i.e (998cc!), i started looking for another car. I wanted a big sedan, preferrably with some "ooomph" under the hood. Sensible persons might had looked at a BMW or a Audi but i stopped when i saw a tiiiiiny little picture of a dark blue sedan on a website. It was love at the first sight. Called up the dealer that was a 2-hour drive away, ditched the Fiat for my mothers Mercedes 250D and grabbed a friend, we are going to inspect a car! When we arrived at the Peugeot dealer, the 605 was lurking in a corner, surrounded by 207's and a 306. I got the keys, sat behind the wheel and fired it up. That was the moment i knew that i would buy this car, the silk-smooth, 3-litre V6 engine just put a grin on my face. A short test drive later just made things even clearer, 200 hp and 265 Nm propelled the car smoothly along the highway and also made a wonderful noise when it was put under load. I left the dealer with a empty wallet and one Peugeot 605 SV24.

For two years, i drove the car all the year around but then i started thinking. Since the SV24 model is a rarity in Sweden, it would be a shame if the road salt ate it away. So the SV24 was now only driven in summertime, wintertime was folded to rest, relaxation and general maintenance and small upgrades. A 2,5" stainless exhaust was specially made for the car, giving it a lower tone and a much better growl on high rpm's. A lot of effort was put into getting rid of small squeaking sounds that had come over the years, the leather interior also got a professional clean before it was put into storage again.

And then i bought a house. There was no time for the SV24 anymore and since i felt i could not give it the care i wanted to, i put it in storage again in a dry place free from rats and mice. And the years passed, each year i took the car out of it's storage, washed it and drove it on the backroads so brakes and such would not seize. I swapped rotors and pads to Brembo stuff which made a huge difference in braking power, first time i tried the brakes i almost ended up with my nose in the windshield. During the years in storage, some of the electrics oxidized, giving the car a... interesting temper.

And now it's 2010. I was out in the storage today, my eyes fell on the 605 and i felt slightly ashamed. I had not done anything major on the car for almost two years. A year's grime and dust covered it, making it look sad and abandoned. That's when i decided that this summer will be the summer of the 605 again, the car is going out of storage, the electric gremlins will be sorted out and i will drive off into the sunset... hopefully.

As for pics and proof of ownership, i am taking the car out of storage on friday, will snap a few shots of it then. Here is a video though just after i got it to my house.

Sounds really good! Although the steering is a bit too wooden for my tastes :p

Ewww...what is this steering wheel?

Also I see some lights on your dashboard - anything wrong?

The steering wheel sat in the car when i bought it and i haven't found a original one in good shape. The lights on the dash are a faulty sensor that is changed now.

Since the steering wheel was brought up, i started looking for a original one. As you can (probably) see from the video, my interior is blue. According to Peugeot Sweden, no 605 was made with a blue leather interior... After a while, they actually found the blue interior mentioned in a old microfilm, it wasn't listed in the newer computer program. No parts number though and none of the junkyards i have called have a blue steering wheel. The hunt goes on...

Cool french luxary barge. Me likes. Also crazy rare over here at least.

Since the steering wheel was brought up, i started looking for a original one. As you can (probably) see from the video, my interior is blue. According to Peugeot Sweden, no 605 was made with a blue leather interior... After a while, they actually found the blue interior mentioned in a old microfilm, it wasn't listed in the newer computer program. No parts number though and none of the junkyards i have called have a blue steering wheel. The hunt goes on...

Maybe a black steering wheel would fit in? I'm certain it would be better than that.... thing.

Maybe a black steering wheel would fit in? I'm certain it would be better than that.... thing.

It's either grey or beige that available sadly, and both look rather... misplaced. If things can't be found here, i have to roam the seven seas of the internet, A.K.A Ebay and see if there are some findings there.

I love those big ass frenchie sedans! Been once in a 605, huge space inside, and despite the size, the thing goes! As for that blue steering wheel, PM me... I'm living in France, maybe I can help you in some way.

Thanks. :) It might solve itself though, i have tracked down a scrapped 605 with blue interior through the Peugeot-club here in Sweden so i am going to call the junkyard and ask if the steering wheel is still intact.

lol, driving around giving it gas it sounds exactly like my old Buick suprisingly.

I'm a fan of semi high-end sedans though, yours is great looking and I'd say worthy of keeping for a while.

Found a picture of it last time it was out in the air.

2ef1dad.jpg

The rims are 17" Calisto from a Volvo C70. There is also some rust coming on the drivers door that will be fixed when i get some cash.

Last edited:
Great car. Always wanted one.

Great car. Always wanted one.
It?s pretty much the cheapest second hand big mid-90ies Euro-salon on the market today ... (not the SV24 in particular, but the 605 in general). Got 2000 ? to spare, and you?ll even get a good one for that kind of money, invest 3k and get a mint one.

btw, I always liked the 605 on looks too, it?s such a shame it?s FWD. :(

Last edited:
And open Sesame.

25akr61.jpg

Hook up a battery, let the fuelpump prime the gaslines, turn the key and it fired up instantly. Then there was the issue of proof of ownership.

107v238.jpg

It's horribly dirty, i know. But right now it doesen't matter since the front end looks like this.

2nlwr43.jpg

Somewhere in here hides an electrical gremlin, and the hunt is on to get it out of my car once and for all.