Phone Upgrade -Help Please

Umm, its probably a stupid question: What is the difference between the Nokia N85 and the Nokia N96? Same thing but with a different name for different countries?

Thanks for the continued information. I like hearing the Samsung is great for video, however those media keys on the Nokia make me think it will be much nicer to use for music playback, videos and even a game or two. Its been on the market for some time and the predecessors show a good foundation. I believe the winner will be the Nokia N96.

there is not much different between the N85 and its bigger brother the N96, besides the larger size screen and case size, also memory max 8gb on the N85 vs 32gb on the N96 and the n96 is slightly more powerful.

I took a Ultra Touch out of the box and i don't know didn't take me personally fancy I prefer my Nokia 5800 to it which is a midrange handset phone. didn't quite feel like a high end samsung or for that matter high end phone wasn't very sturdy and a bit slow

Phone picked out; Time to find a reputable retailer.

Phone picked out; Time to find a reputable retailer.

Thank you unknownspeedster for the detailed information. When you said, "wasn't very sturdy and a bit slow," it pushed me all the way over to the Nokia N96. Next I will have to find a good Bluetooth adapter to plug headsets into so I don't wear the Nokia's out then save up a little more money, find a reputable retailer and buy the N96. Thanks for the help.

Bet you I would like that Nokia 5800 if it had a standard keypad sliding out. Too many Iphone copy-cats...

Yaco,

I had the LG Chocolate flip/VX8600 and went from that to the Dare. I am having all the same problems you are with the Dare and am switching back to the Chocolate flip because the Dare is such a piece of shit.

I'm waiting for the Blackberry 9630 to come out in July (hopefully). That is THE ONLY phone I would consider going to on Verizon. I don't know about where you live, but no one can come anywhere close to Verizon's service, that's the only reason I'm sticking with them and their horrible selection of phones.

Hooray Blackberry.

Yaco,

I had the LG Chocolate flip/VX8600 and went from that to the Dare. I am having all the same problems you are with the Dare and am switching back to the Chocolate flip because the Dare is such a piece of shit.

I loved that LG Sexual Chocolate/VX8600 so much. It looked great, very skinny, had every feature I wanted, (at the time and maybe even still,) but the charging/expansion port is very weak. My friend with a LG Envy has the same problem with that breaking.

I just got a LG Dare replacement Friday after being replaced a week ago. The quality control on those are terrible. The screen's wire kept disconnecting causing weird colors to display and the screen not showing up but still hearing it working. Go do what I did and sell it on Craigslist after getting a new phone (keep reading below).

I'm waiting for the Blackberry 9630 to come out in July (hopefully). That is THE ONLY phone I would consider going to on Verizon. I don't know about where you live, but no one can come anywhere close to Verizon's service, that's the only reason I'm sticking with them and their horrible selection of phones.

Hooray Blackberry.

I already had my number changed and my Verizon account disconnected. Now for the $130 termination fee (+ this months bill) but its OK; I sold my Dare for $160. I had so many inquires and bunch of shipping requests (con-artists). Poor kid had a LG Envy 2. Yes, the service area is a tad smaller with AT&T but I get no service where I live right now anyways. It takes a bit longer to connect while calling too.

Blackberry.... Good phones I hear but most have QWERTY so that's a no for me.

try a 5800 out you may like it and good to hear i was of some help, i was a bit disappointed with the samsung been lots of internal promotions calling it the hero phone

Blackberry.... Good phones I hear but most have QWERTY so that's a no for me.

Oh I'm sorry. I assumed coming from the Dare you would have wanted a QWERTY. Good luck though, I feel your pain.

try a 5800 out you may like it and good to hear i was of some help, i was a bit disappointed with the samsung been lots of internal promotions calling it the hero phone

Err, once again its just a touch screen and I have 'sausage fingers'. You have been a lot of help with your insight on cell phones. I wish we had more people knowledgeable or care about their jobs -I'm assuming that you work at a cell phone shop. It pissed me off when I went to the Verizon tech desk and they know less than me. Hopefully I understand or know something you need help on sometime so I can repay you. Thank you.

Oh I'm sorry. I assumed coming from the Dare you would have wanted a QWERTY. Good luck though, I feel your pain.

Nah, I never used that QWERTY setting more than a few times. Thank you and good luck getting rid of that piece of shit. I think I could have sold mine for about $200; I just wanted rid of it before it broke again! :mrgreen:

Now would this be a good deal? Should I even get disappointed if its already sold? What would I be missing out on?

http://binghamton.craigslist.org/ele/1158163312.html

Err, once again its just a touch screen and I have 'sausage fingers'. You have been a lot of help with your insight on cell phones. I wish we had more people knowledgeable or care about their jobs -I'm assuming that you work at a cell phone shop. It pissed me off when I went to the Verizon tech desk and they know less than me. Hopefully I understand or know something you need help on sometime so I can repay you. Thank you.

lol, don't try one in the shop then I hate touch and I hated my iphone, but I kinda liked it and thank you for the complement lots of people are unhelpful cause they can see pass you and the fact your not looking for a sale straight away and I hope you enjoy the phone:)

Thanks, this should be my final set of questions.

Thanks, this should be my final set of questions.

Not trying to be an Iphone basher... well may be I am....

I hate the Iphone mainly due to the software Apple forces down your throat just like all other Apple products. If I could get past that then I could have possibly liked it. The touch screen like all others say is the best out there -by leaps and bounds. Once again, I really like mechanical buttons so I don't have to stare at what I am doing and can watch things on the screen, on the road, while I'm walking, or I bet I could even text while its in my pocket (useful for you kids at school).

Before I say this search for a phone has ended, what would be included in the retail package for the Nokia N96? If it was your choice between the Nokia N95 8GB, Nokia N85, or Nokia N96 which would you buy and why? Any name brands you trust for buying these Nokia cell phone accessories? Some examples of accessories might include: Bluetooth headset adapter (wireless transmitter and receiver for music/voice with a 3.5mm jack) and protection cases. I just want some reassurance that I can't do with the cheaper N95 or other variants.

if you can get a really good price on a N95 8gb as it on Discontinued list or a N85 i would say pick one up,besides that id pick up the N96.

The N85 and N95 is good but to put it this way its like pulling up to the lights in a mini Cooper and a Cooper S is sitting next to you, its the lesser and you regret it down the track but some may feel content with the lesser.

Going by Australian stock n the box expect - USB cable, Ac Charger, Books, software, navigation trial of 7 days, headphones, TV out cable, wrist strap, maybe car charger.

Nokia Genuine will cost you a arm and a leg, im not to sure what brands are in the USA for bluetooth but you can buy a straight stereo headset a while back may still be avaliable which links via the internal bluetooth by Jabra which are pretty good value or this adapter by jabra

not to sure what you yanks have by phones, but if you came into my shop seeking what you are i'd say N96

Yaco : Don't worry about the audio playback feature on the N95-8Gb, it doesn't lag at all. The bulit in speakers are top notch and can be used as a normal speaker if you wish. Most of my mp3s are 320Kbps and the built in media player plays them without any lag. Ofcourse you can download 3rd party media player, there are loads of programmes on the net, including winamp for S60.

Video playback wise, anything less than 720p shouldn't lag at all. I convert all my videos to mp4 format using WinAVI MP4 Converter 3.1 and so far it has been pretty good.

Btw, the new firmware comes with google search and nokia search, which is a brilliant function. It also comes with N-Gage games and Nokia Map2, both programmes are really handy.

Let me just give you a quick list of the programmes I've got on my N95

- TomTom Navigator
- Garmin XT Navigator
- Nokia Map 2
- Google Map
- GPRS
- Cambridge Thesaurus & Dictionary
- Audio recording program (I use it to record all my calls, so I can jot down all the appointments I made with my clients)
- Quake 3 Arena (yes, the phone is powerful enough to run Quake 3 without any lag, so you don't have to worry about video/audio playback lags)
- Currency Exchanger
- Weather Notice
- Unit Converter
- Panoramic camera function (up to 12 pictures to create a wide landsacpe photo)
- Adobe PDF
- Microsoft Office Word, Excel & Powerpoint

oh.. and the 3.5mm stereo audio jack is really handy, I can plug any headphones in without having to worry about getting any external converter.

The N85 and N95 is good but to put it this way its like pulling up to the lights in a mini Cooper and a Cooper S is sitting next to you, its the lesser and you regret it down the track but some may feel content with the lesser.

Ha-ha! Nice, I was thinking about that a comparison like that -Clarkson talking about the DBS vs the DB7.

Going by Australian stock n the box expect - USB cable, Ac Charger, Books, software, navigation trial of 7 days, headphones, TV out cable, wrist strap, maybe car charger.

Excellent, I wanted to know what would be included so if I buy it from Ebay or the likes.

7 day trial? I don't know why I thought that was free? Or am I thinking of the uploads through the PC connection? Ah, who cares. I will use it probably only once or twice. I'm a man! -I don't need directions. :D

Nokia Genuine will cost you a arm and a leg, im not to sure what brands are in the USA for bluetooth but you can buy a straight stereo headset a while back may still be avaliable which links via the internal bluetooth by Jabra which are pretty good value or this adapter by jabra

Hey! Get the hell out of my mind! I was looking at that exact same Bluetooth not too long ago. I was thinking Motorola brands are good but always thought Jabra was POS.... no clue why though.

not to sure what you yanks have by phones, but if you came into my shop seeking what you are i'd say N96

Thanks for the reassurance, we have shitty phones here in America. We barely have video calling here and its only on AT&T so far -No one uses it.

Yaco : Don't worry about the audio playback feature on the N95-8Gb, it doesn't lag at all. The bulit in speakers are top notch and can be used as a normal speaker if you wish. Most of my mp3s are 320Kbps and the built in media player plays them without any lag. Ofcourse you can download 3rd party media player, there are loads of programmes on the net, including winamp for S60.

Nice to hear I have options but I probably will use the stock music player. Thank you.

Video playback wise, anything less than 720p shouldn't lag at all. I convert all my videos to mp4 format using WinAVI MP4 Converter 3.1 and so far it has been pretty good.

Good to hear, my LG Dare lagged when skipping ahead to a specific spot in a video.

Btw, the new firmware comes with google search and nokia search, which is a brilliant function. It also comes with N-Gage games and Nokia Map2, both programmes are really handy.

Let me just give you a quick list of the programmes I've got on my N95

- TomTom Navigator
- Garmin XT Navigator
- Nokia Map 2
- Google Map
- GPRS
- Cambridge Thesaurus & Dictionary
- Audio recording program (I use it to record all my calls, so I can jot down all the appointments I made with my clients)
- Quake 3 Arena (yes, the phone is powerful enough to run Quake 3 without any lag, so you don't have to worry about video/audio playback lags)
- Currency Exchanger
- Weather Notice
- Unit Converter
- Panoramic camera function (up to 12 pictures to create a wide landsacpe photo)
- Adobe PDF
- Microsoft Office Word, Excel & Powerpoint

oh.. and the 3.5mm stereo audio jack is really handy, I can plug any headphones in without having to worry about getting any external converter.

Why do you have multiple navigation programs?

3.5mm jack was a must because I can use it for my setup in my car to listen to music. This is why I want a Bluetooth adapter later so I don't damage that headset jack on the phone and only ruin a $25 Bluetooth instead because I take it on and off every time I leave the car.

phone - 3.5mm adapter (if necessary) - 3.5mm to cassette tape - cassette stereo.

You guys... damn. You helped me a lot.

Last edited:
isn't N96 just little upgraded from n95.

Also i'm taking your thread :D

i also need new phone, as i live in finland and i don't want any operator locked phone.

The specs that i have though are:
- max 250eur, (270 is maybe)
- wlan
- need to access "normal" web-pages.

Any ideas (phone need to be sold here, and i have been nokia guy for 10 years :p ).

Sorry but I got to reboot this thread.

http://dealnews.com/Unlocked-Nokia-...or-247-after-rebate-free-shipping/299978.html

I can't tell any major differences between the N85 and the N96 except that the N96 has the capability to watch tv, which no service provider in this area has. and the N85 looks like it has a single processor compared to the dual on the N96. Will the N85 lag doing things? Is there any other differences? I think I might buy this since its closer to my price range if not.

short answer no, unless you run multiple apps/games at the same you will see some lag, but general day to day use it will be unnoticed, I notice these types of things (really picky with phones) and those two phones are fine.

Ok, thank you. I haven't been able to find a N96 for anything less than $500 and with bills that will begin to apear more often (fixing the cars and what not before I get even more bills...) I can not afford to waste money on something I may not use all the features on. Hopefully the next stop is the HDTV or motorcycle department.