Photo of Air Force One landing in Cuba

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
Ith4Fzo.jpg

Just thought it was a really interesting photo of a historic event. Not trying to make any point beyond that.

I think this and the Iran deal may be Obama's two biggest accomplishments. I just hope congress or the next person in the White House doesn't screw up the progress.

We have decades of failed policy when in comes to dealing with Cuba, Iran, Israel/Palestine, drugs, gay rights, healthcare....just to name a few. So it's wonderful to finally see a change of course. I just wish he had done in sooner so he could have seen it through.

The embargo of Cuba being in place for fucking 54 years is the single silliest piece of foreign policy in US history.

If you want to go for a long time then simply defect.

And here's the clincher: Living in Cuba will be getting better.

And here's the clincher: Living in Cuba will be getting better.

I mean I hope so. I hope that economic engagement will create conditions that force the regime to liberalize. But we have full relations with plenty of countries that continue to treat their citizens with total disregard for human rights and it doesn't seem to bother the government or the market one bit. (looking at you, china). granted, it's better in China now than it has been in the past, but I don't think we could really claim that liberalization was a successful avenue for changing the circumstances in a meaningful way.

the ironic part is that the country which started the embargo and condemned them to what they are now...is the same country which will reap the most benefits by stopping it

I mean I hope so. I hope that economic engagement will create conditions that force the regime to liberalize. But we have full relations with plenty of countries that continue to treat their citizens with total disregard for human rights and it doesn't seem to bother the government or the market one bit. (looking at you, china). granted, it's better in China now than it has been in the past, but I don't think we could really claim that liberalization was a successful avenue for changing the circumstances in a meaningful way.

Progress is progress. China has a lot stricter regime than Cuba, in my impression.

Hey, weird handshakes have been a staple of American politics for generations.

Bill Maher reminded me about this last night. How can Obama lecture Cuba on prisoners when we are operating a prison in Cuba ourselves and holding people indefinitely?

This is all so fascinating and exciting. I'm excited for how good baseball is going to get in the next five years.
:lol: I dunno man, Tampa beat their national team 4-1 a few days ago. Decent pitching but it doesn't look like they have any bats.

Seriously though I like the idea of baseball diplomacy. Fuck all this other stuff, at least we can talk about the same sport.

Bill Maher reminded me about this last night. How can Obama lecture Cuba on prisoners when we are operating a prison in Cuba ourselves and holding people indefinitely?
You know, I'd be the last person to defend Guantanamo or the simple fact that the US locks more people up than any other nation. But it is apples and oranges. They were getting on Cuba about locking up dissenters, protesters, political prisoners. It's a legitimate argument.

Here in the good ol' US of A, we just send in the riot cops with fire hoses and tear gas, right? Much better than locking up protesters. :rolleyes:

Well, we have people locked up there that never committed any crimes too.

Yes and no.

The system of keeping political prisoners indefinetely isn't exactly as common in the US as in Cuba, but it's a point. What's really infuriating is how the current administration has been trying to shut it, but not being able to because of that number one problem in the US today: Congress.