Photoshop Speed Test

Mally Dangerous

Hey folks, lets test how fast our systems are running Photoshop actions on an image. Here is where to find the directions and image to use. Files and Actions

My specs and results:
Mac Pro Xeon 2.8GHz 4 core
2GB of RAM*
Photoshop CS3

Time: 30 sec

*This test runs faster the more RAM you have.

Last edited:
My specs:

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad
2 GB Ram
Windows XP
Photoshop CS3

Things running in the background:
Itunes
Trillian
Symantec Antivirus
Firefox

My time: 1 minute 19 seconds

Well, this seems fairly complicated. I have to change a bunch of settings, possibly restart. And of course the zip wouldn't even extract in windows (filenames can't start with a period)...

I'll skip :)

My specs:

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad
2 GB Ram
Windows XP
Photoshop CS3

Things running in the background:
Itunes
Trillian
Symantec Antivirus
Firefox

My time: 1 minute 19 seconds

Really? I would have thought your time would have been closer to mine. You think it may be the antivirus that is giving you a performance hit?

I didn't bother closing any programs while I did it , I had media center playing a dvd, my anti-virus on active duty, firefox and trillian open, and about 10 or 15 other minor process in the background. I clocked 1'59" after some minor delay on the watch. I watched my system usage specs go up to 67% RAM usage and between 50 and 70% CPU usage while it ram the process.

2.4GHz dual core processor
3GB RAM
8800GT graphics
on XP with CS3

Really? I would have thought your time would have been closer to mine. You think it may be the antivirus that is giving you a performance hit?

I think it was my desire to not follow the instructions and restart and close all the other applications before running the test that caused the problem :p

Yeah it was probably a combo of all the things I was running and mainly the antivirus. It takes up an extra 15 processes, but I'm not sure how much ram.

Something must be wrong here.

I have a
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ -- OCed to 2.2 GHz (from 2.0 - yes, its a lot, i know)
2GB Ram
ATi Radeon 9700 PRO
Win XP
Pshop CS2

and I got a 2:13, with the settings set like they wanted, nothing running at all, and Photoshop given realtime processor priority.

Last edited:
It got to 10 minutes and I got annoyed and bored. Specs are in my sig.

I'm not sure why are y'all getting all of these crazy result. All the other forums I go to are getting reasonable results.

They're probably doing it with everything else closed and only photoshop running.

I was. I restarted and only had Word running in the background.

My roommates Mac Pro did it in 27 seconds:
2 Quad Core 2.8Ghz
10Gb of 800Mhz ram (CS3 apparently will only use 3Gb of RAM)
1Tb hard drive SATA 3.0
8800 GT 512Mb